List of wind farms in New South Wales
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The wind resource potential in NSW is very good, yet this potential has remained largely untapped. The NSW Wind Atlas shows that many of the sites with good potential for wind farms are situated on the western side of the Great Dividing Range. While the wind is also strong in coastal areas, wind farms are unlikely to be built there due to existing residential development and national park areas. NSW also has an extensive electricity transmission network, providing relatively good power grid access for new wind farms.
As of March 2015, there was 625 MW of wind power installed in NSW. As of September 2018, there was 842 MW of wind power installed in NSW, and a further 583 MW in construction from three projects, the Sapphire Wind Farm, the Silverton Wind Farm and the Bodangora Wind Farm.
To measure public attitudes to wind farms, the NSW government surveyed 2000 people and 300 businesses in rural NSW in late 2010. About 80 per cent of respondents said they would strongly support wind farms in their region. Support dropped off somewhat if a wind farm was proposed closer to a person's house but 60 per cent still supported wind turbines within two kilometres of their house. About 13 per cent of people surveyed, many aged over 65, said they did not support wind power.
Wind farms in New South Wales
A list of operating and planned wind farms in New South Wales is below.
|Project name||Sponsoring company||Coordinates||Turbines||Capacity (MW)||Status||Completion Date||Notes|
|Bango||Wind Prospect CWP||280||Feasibility|
|Black Springs||Wind Corporation||40||Cancelled|
|Blayney Wind Farm ||Eraring Energy||15||9.9||Operating|
|Boco Rock Wind Farm ||Wind Prospect CWP||67||113||Operating|
|Capital Wind Farm ||Infigen Energy||67||140.7||Operating|||
|Collector Wind Farm||Ratch Australia||55||228||Planning Approved|
|Conroys Gap Wind Farm||Epuron||30||Planning approved|
|Crookwell Wind Farm ||Eraring Energy||8||4.8||Operating|
|Crookwell 2 Wind Farm ||Unión Fenosa Wind Australia||46||92||Planning approved|
|Crudine Ridge||Wind Prospect CWP||135||Planning approved|
|Cullerin Range Wind Farm ||Epuron (owned by EDL)||15||30||Operating||Developed by Epuron, Built by Origin, sold to EDL|
|Gullen Range Wind Farm ||Goldwind / JNCEC||73||165.5||Operating||2013|
|Gunning Wind Farm ||Acciona||31||46.5||Operating|
|Hampton Wind Park||Wind Corporation Australia||2||1.32||Operating|
|Liverpool Range||Epuron||267||1000||Planning approved||Largest proposed wind farm in Australia.|
|Lord Howe Island||0.3||Feasibility|
|Paling Yards||Unión Fenosa Wind Australia||90||Feasibility|
|Rock Flat Creek||Pacific Hydro||100||Feasibility|
|Rye Park Wind Farm||Epuron||92||276||Planning approved||Sold to Tilt Renewables. Original total of turbines reduced from 126 to 109. 92 turbines have been approved.|
|Sapphire Wind Farm||CWP Renewables||75||270||Operating||Completed as of 31 October 2018. |
|Silverton Wind Farm||Epuron||58||200||Under construction|
|Snowy Plains Wind Farm (Berridale)||Epuron||26||Cancelled|
|Taralga Wind Farm||CBD Energy/Banco Santander||51||107||Operating||2015|
|Uungula||Wind Prospect CWP||127||400||Feasibility||2020|||
|White Rock Wind Farm||Goldwind/ CECEP||70||175 (Stage 1)||Operating||Approval for up to 119 WTGs. |
|Woodlawn Wind Farm||Infigen Energy||23||48.3||Operating|
|Coppabella Wind Farm||Epuron||75||284||Planning approved||Sold to Goldwind.|
|Bodangora Wind Farm||Infigen Energy||33||113.2||Under construction||33 GE 3.4-130 Turbines|
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 February 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- AEMO Electriciry Registration List
- Ben Cubby (25 March 2011). "Turbines take their turn". Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "NSW Wind Farms". Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 September 2009. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 March 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 April 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 March 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- [file:///C:/Users/Riley/Downloads/080518_Rye_Park_WF_A4_Fact_Sheet.pdf "Rye Park Wind Farm"] Check
|url=value (help) (PDF). May 2018. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Welcome | Online Community Consultation | Sapphire Wind Farm". sapphirewindfarm.com.au. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Construction Update – Sapphire". www.sapphirewindfarm.com.au. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- "WindAction | Snowy Plains wind farm falls through". www.windaction.org. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "Planning and Approvals – Uungula Wind Farm". uungulawindfarm.com.au. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "White Rock Wind Farm switches on turbines" (PDF). 10 July 2017. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "MEDIA RELEASE: Sale of Yass Valley (Coppabella) to Goldwind". 1 February 2017. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Bodangora - Infigen Energy". www.infigenenergy.com. Retrieved 2018-09-22.