List of women's national basketball teams
This is a list of the women's national basketball teams in the world.
- 1 Active teams
- 1.1 FIBA Africa
- 1.2 FIBA Americas
- 1.3 FIBA Asia
- 1.4 FIBA Europe
- 1.5 FIBA Oceania
- 1.6 Non-FIBA members
- 2 Defunct teams
- 3 FIBA country codes
- 4 References
The International Basketball Federation, or FIBA recognizes 213 national teams divided into 5 zones, each roughly corresponding to a continent (North America and South America are grouped under the Americas.)
The newest national team is Montenegro which was recognized in 2006.
There are more FIBA-recognized teams than FIFA-recognized teams (209).
FIBA Americas (formerly the Pan-American Basketball Confederation), which controls North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America, has 44 national teams, divided into three areas. The Central American and Caribbean Confederations of Basketball (CONCECABA) is further divided into the Central America and Caribbean zone.
- Great Britain, a combined team of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will play at the 2012 Olympics and at the EuroBasket Women 2011, 2013 and 2015.
- Northern Ireland is not a member of FIBA, but there are hers national federation, the national teams, leagues, etc.
FIBA country codes
FIBA uses IOC country codes for most countries which are IOC members. For non-IOC members and exceptions, FIBA uses the following codes:
- England: ENG
- Gibraltar: GIB
- Marshall Islands: MIS (IOC: MHL)
- Montserrat: MAT
- New Caledonia: CAL
- Norfolk Island: NIS
- Northern Mariana Islands: SAI
- Scotland: SCO
- Tahiti: TAH
- Turks and Caicos Islands: TCI
- Wales: WAL