List of works commissioned by Kappa Kappa Psi or Tau Beta Sigma
The following is a list of concert band works commissioned by or dedicated to Kappa Kappa Psi or Tau Beta Sigma.
Excerpt from Traveler, performed by the North Texas Wind Symphony under the direction of Eugene Migliaro Corporon
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
In 1947, Kappa Kappa Psi created its first National Intercollegiate Band, a band composed of musicians from universities across the United States. Since 1953, the national chapters of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma have commissioned a new work for wind band to be premiered at the National Intercollegiate Band concert. This program was begun under the direction of Grand President Hugh McMillen to add to the wind repertoire. A number of the commissions have garnered national acclaim, including Robert Russell Bennett's Symphonic Songs for Band, commissioned for the 1957 National Intercollegiate Band, and Karel Husa's Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra, commissioned for the 1973 band.
In the years following the start of the national commissioning program, local chapters have begun to commission new band works themselves. Some of these have also received acclaim, including David Maslanka's Traveler, commissioned by the University of Texas at Arlington chapters of the fraternity and sorority in honor of the retirement of Director of Bands Ray Lichtenwalter.
Between the national Commissioning Program and commissions from individual chapters, many notable band composers have been commissioned, including Jack Stamp, David Gillingham, Julie Giroux, Claude T. Smith, Frank Ticheli and W. Francis McBeth.
List of works
|Year||Title of Work||Composer||Commissioning Party and Institution|
|1931||Kappa Kappa Psi March||J. DeForest Cline||ΚΚΨ National Chapter|
|1933||The March of Kappa Kappa Psi||Joseph O. DeLuca||ΚΚΨ–Omega (University of Arizona)|
|1934||Kappa Kappa Psi March||Bohumil Makovsky||ΚΚΨ National Chapter|
|1953||Ballet for Band||Don Gillis||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1957||Symphonic Songs for Band||Robert Russell Bennett||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1959||Prelude and Dance||Paul Creston||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1961||National Intercollegiate Band March||Richard Franko Goldman||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1963||Symphonic Essays||Clifton Williams||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1965||Symphonic Requiem||Václav Nelhýbel||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1967||Study in Textures||Gunther Schuller||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1969||Songs of Abelard||Norman Dello Joio||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Divergents||W. Francis McBeth||ΚΚΨ–Lambda (University of Arkansas)
|1970||Propagula||Robert Linn||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Psi (West Texas A&M University)|
|Neologue||Jared Spears||ΚΚΨ–Lambda (University of Arkansas)
|1971||The Seventh Seal||W. Francis McBeth||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Tau Beta Sigma March||Donald I. Moore||Ladine Bennett Housholder (ΤΒΣ)|
|1973||Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra||Karel Husa||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Overture: Memory of a Friend||Robert Jager||ΚΚΨ–Lambda (University of Arkansas)
|Chronolog||Jared Spears||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Theta (University of Louisiana at Monroe)|
|Dilemmae||William Latham||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Psi (West Texas A&M University)|
|1975||Let Us Now Praise Famous Men||Martin Mailman||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1976||Reflections On An Old Hymn Tune||Richard Willis||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Theta (University of Louisiana at Monroe)
|Dance Variations||John Zdechlik||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Pi (Purdue University)|
|1977||Symphony No. 1 for Band||Claude T. Smith||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1978||Affirmation and Credo||Claude T. Smith||ΤΒΣ–Delta Rho (Missouri State University)|
|1979||Prelude and Double Fugue||Fisher Tull||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Rondo Cappricio||John Zdechlik||ΚΚΨ–Beta Gamma (Louisiana State University)
|Dance Scene||Michael Hennagin||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Theta (University of Louisiana at Monroe)
|1980||Caccia for Band||W. Francis McBeth||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)|
|King Ubu||Michael Schelle||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Beta (Butler University)
|1981||Chamarita!||Roger Nixon||University of Florida[nb 1]
National Endowment for the Arts
|Cantique and Festival||Jared Spears||ΚΚΨ–Delta Rho (Arkansas State University)|
|LUX: Legend of Sankta Lucia||Mary Jeanne van Appledorn||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1982||Ferris Fantasy||Harry Dempsey||ΚΚΨ–Delta Omega (Ferris State University)
|1983||Stars and Stripes Variations||Robert Jager||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Century Tower||James Barnes||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Eta (University of Florida)
|1984||Seven Deadly Sins||Robert Xavier Rodriguez||ΚΚΨ–Zeta Kappa (Texas A&M University–Commerce)
|1985||Chorale Prelude on a German Folk Tune||James Barnes||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Sinfonia Drammatica||Arnold Franchetti||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Beta (Butler University)|
|Sinfonia for Winds and Percussion||John Boda||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Nu (Florida State University)
|1987||Overture Alfresco||Jerry Bilik||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Variants on an Ancient Air||James Curnow||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)
|Sinfonia XV "Ursa Major"||Timothy Broege||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)|
|Pagan Dances||James Barnes||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Beta (University of Central Arkansas)|
|1988||In The Spring, at the Time When Kings Go Off to War||David Holsinger||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)
|Catcher of Shadows||Philip Wilby||ΚΚΨ–Iota Alpha (California State University, Fresno)
|1989||Symphonic Canticle||David Holsinger||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Riverwalk||Carl Johnson||ΚΚΨ–Eta Phi (Syracuse University)
|In Memoriam||David Maslanka||ΚΚΨ–Delta Sigma (University of Texas at Arlington)
|Athenian Festival||Anne McGinty||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Danse Celestiale||Robert Sheldon||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Eta (University of Florida)
|1991||Infinite Horizons||John Cheetham||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Omicron (Texas Tech University)|
|Hymn Variants (based on Lasst uns erfreuen )||Alfred Reed||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Gaian Visions||Frank Ticheli||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)|
|Space Symphony||Julie Giroux||ΚΚΨ–Theta Nu (Northwestern State University)|
|1992||Crest of Allegiance||Robert Foster||Elizabeth Ludwig Fennell (ΤΒΣ)|
|But God's Own Descent||John White||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Eta (University of Florida)
|1993||Daystar: Symphonic Variations for Wind and Percussion||James Curnow||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|1995||A Tuning Piece: Songs of Fall and Winter||David Maslanka||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Cycles of Moons and Tides||Mary Jeanne van Appledorn||ΤΒΣ–Gamma Tau (University of Central Arkansas)|
|1996||A Gathering of Angels||Jared Spears||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Kappa (Angelo State University)|
|1997||Desert Winds||Cynthia Folio||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Epsilon (Temple University)|
|Revenge of the Darkseekers!||Stephen Melillo||ΚΚΨ–Theta Alpha (Southwest Texas State University)
|Capitan Majesty||Timothy Rhea||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Omicron (Texas Tech University)
|Rondo Jubiloso||John Zdechlik||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|A Fraternal Prelude||Gary Powell Nash||ΚΚΨ–Eta Gamma (Morgan State University)|
|1998||Dark Dreams of a Circus Bandstand||David Williams||ΚΚΨ–Omicron (West Virginia University)|
|1999||From This Wilderness...||Roland Barrett||Alan Bonner (ΚΚΨ)|
|Unusual Behavior in Ceremonies Involving Drums||Daniel Bukvich||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Culloden||Julie Giroux||Alan Bonner (ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ)|
|Four Maryland Songs||Jack Stamp||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Xi (University of Maryland)
|An American Elegy||Frank Ticheli||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Iota (University of Colorado Boulder)|
|2001||Hands of Mercy||Julie Giroux||Donna Beth McCormick (ΤΒΣ)|
|Mourning Dances||Timothy Mahr||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|The Imperceptible Voices Cloaked in Wind||Jerome P. Miskell||ΚΚΨ North Central District Chapter|
|To the Summit! (Strive for the Highest)||Robert W. Smith||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ Southeast District Chapters|
|From the Mountains||Jay Chattaway||ΚΚΨ–Omicron (West Virginia University)|
|2002||High Adventure||Randol Bass||ΤΒΣ–Theta (University of Cincinnati)|
|Dances of Nahawand||Scott Meister||ΚΚΨ–Iota Omicron (Appalachian State University)|
|Dakota||MJ Cotton||ΚΚΨ–Kappa Mu (University of Georgia)|
|Cloudless Day, Bitter Sky||Donald Grantham||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Kappa (Angelo State University)
|Jacob's Ladder||Paul Richards|
|Come, memory ...||Donald Grantham||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Into the Solitude||Katherine Murdock||ΤΒΣ–Alpha Mu (Wichita State University)|
|2003||Caccia||Reber Clark||ΚΚΨ–Delta Delta (Arkansas Tech University)
|Vigor||Sean O'Loughlin||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Kappa (Northern Arizona University)|
|Colors Aloft||Daniel Godfrey||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Nu (Florida State University)|
|Ebullience||Stephen Lias||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Phi (Stephen F. Austin State University)|
|Morning Song||Philip Sparke||ΚΚΨ–Beta Kappa (Bowling Green State University)
|Traveler||David Maslanka||ΚΚΨ–Delta Sigma (University of Texas at Arlington)
University of Texas at Arlington Band Alumni Association
|Bandancing||Jack Stamp||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|2005||Fanatic Fanfare||Paul Richards||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Eta (University of Florida)|
|Fantasia for Band||Nolan Schmit||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Omega (University of Nebraska–Lincoln)|
|The Seasons||Philip Sparke||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|2006||Home Again||Brian Biddle||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Beta (Butler University)|
|Husaria Cavalry Overture||Julie Giroux||ΚΚΨ–Omicron (West Virginia University)|
|Ancient Irish Hymn||Sean O'Loughlin||ΚΚΨ–Eta Phi (Syracuse University)
|2007||Variations and Fugue on How Firm a Foundation||Stephen Emmons||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Kappa (Angelo State University)
|Dream||Adam F. Brennan||ΤΒΣ–Gamma Chi (Mansfield University)|
|Celestial Dancers||Eric Ewazen||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|Mansions of Glory||David Gillingham||ΚΚΨ–Lambda Epsilon (Ouachita Baptist University)
|Purple Heart||David Shaffer||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Xi (Miami University)
|Variations on a Maine Theme||Craig Skeffington||ΚΚΨ–Epsilon Upsilon (University of Maine)|
|2008||Concerto for Piano and Wind Ensemble||James Woodward||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Beta (Butler University)|
|Fugue with Drums||Joe Nelson||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Psi (West Texas A&M University)|
|Loud Sunsets||George Lam||ΚΚΨ–Theta Beta (Boston University)|
|Fuse||Rob Smith||ΚΚΨ–Theta Nu (Northwestern State University)|
|2009||Two American Canvases||Mark Camphouse||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|A Century of Opportunity Celebration||Lester Pack||ΚΚΨ–Zeta Zeta (University of Arkansas at Monticello)|
|The Gates of the Wonder-World Open||Joseph C. Phillips||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Xi (University of Maryland)|
|Concerto for Piano and Wind Orchestra: Solar Traveller||Judith Lang Zaimont|
|A Little Learning is a Dangerous Thing||Eric Honour||ΚΚΨ–Lambda Omega (Northwestern Oklahoma State University)|
|2010||HardDrive||Julie Giroux||ΚΚΨ–Iota (Georgia Institute of Technology)|
|Always We Begin Again||Patrick Burns||ΚΚΨ–Sigma (Ohio Northern University)|
|Back to Old Fairview||Michael Leckrone||ΚΚΨ–Alpha Beta (Butler University)|
|Glass Menagerie||Brant Karrick||ΚΚΨ–Beta Rho (University of Toledo)|
|Carolina Fantasy||Gordon "Dick" Goodwin|
|2011||Movements for Wind Ensemble||Jack Hughes||ΚΚΨ–Gamma Delta (Wayne State College)|
|Someday||Zachary J. Friedland||ΚΚΨ–Theta Upsilon (University of Rhode Island)[nb 2]|
|Repercussions||Adam Gorb||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|2012||Blue and White Dance||Andrew Boysen Jr.||ΚΚΨ Northeast District Chapter|
|2013||Idyll and Whirlwind||Steven Bryant|
|(Redacted)||John Mackey||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
|2013||The Two Rivers||Richard D. Hall||ΚΚΨ -Theta Alpha Chapter|
|2015||Of Blood and Stone||Julie Giroux||ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Chapters|
- Chamarita! was commissioned by the University of Florida and the National Endowment for the Arts in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Alpha Eta chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi at the university.
- Zachary Friedland is a member of the Theta Upsilon chapter; the chapter did not specifically commission this work.
- Archer, Kimberly (2009). "Ten Works All Band Conductors at All Levels Should Study". In Camphouse, Mark. Composers on Composing for Band. 4. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 23–6. ISBN 978-1-57999-739-7.
- Towner, Clifford (August 2011). An Evaluation of Compositions for Wind Band According to Specific Criteria of Serious Artistic Merit: A Second Update (PDF) (D.M.A. document). Lincoln: University of Nebraska. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- "Something Borrowed". University of Texas Wind Symphony. October 5, 2011: 1. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- Kappa Kappa Psi (2011). "The Fraternity and Sorority Commissioning Program". In Smith, Nick. Guide to Membership for the 2011–2013 Biennium (PDF). Stillwater, OK: Kappa Kappa Psi/Tau Beta Sigma. p. 53. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-01-02.
- Jameson Jr., Joe C. (1971). Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Fraternity for College Bandsmen: Its History, Growth, and Development from 1919 to 1971 (M.Mus. thesis). Kansas State College of Pittsburg. p. 19. OCLC 29924625.
- "Fraternity Commissions Composer for Band Music". PODIUM. Stillwater, OK: Kappa Kappa Psi/Tau Beta Sigma: 3. 1953. OCLC 8172619.
- "SFA Wind Symphony to Present 'Something Old, Something New' Concert" (Press release). Stephen F. Austin State University. April 22, 2008. ProQuest (469809192).
Later in the program, Campo will direct another work from the standard repertoire, Robert Russell Bennett's Symphonic Songs for Band. The three-movement suite was commissioned in 1957 by Kappa Kappa Psi, the national band fraternity.
- McBeth, W. Francis (2002). "Comprehensive List of Works for Band". In Camphouse, Mark. Composers on Composing for Band. 1. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 289–94. ISBN 1-57999-195-5.
- Linn, Robert (1973) [Composed 1970]. Propagula (Musical score). New York: Carl Fischer. OCLC 44716054.
- "Compositions". RobertLinn.org. Archived from the original on June 25, 2012. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Spears, Jared (2007). "Comprehensive List of Works for Band". In Camphouse, Mark. Composers on Composing for Band. 3. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 244–9. ISBN 978-1-57999-631-4.
- McLaurin, Donald (2003). "Karel Husa's Contributions to the Wind Band". In Votta, Michael. The Wind Band and Its Repertoire: Two Decades of Research as Published in the College Band Directors National Association Journal. Los Angeles: Alfred Music Publishing. p. 125. ISBN 978-0-75791-833-9.
- Thompson, T. T. Tyler (2004). The University of Arkansas Razorback Band: A History, 1874–2004. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. p. 165. ISBN 978-1-55728-779-3.
- "William P. Latham Collection". Music Library Special Collections. University of North Texas Libraries. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Willis, Richard (1976). Reflections On An Old Hymn Tune (Musical score). OCLC 32458663.
- Zdechlik, John (2007). "Comprehensive List of Works for Band". In Camphouse, Mark. Composers on Composing for Band. 3. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 324–7. ISBN 978-1-57999-631-4.
- Smith, Claude T. (1980). Affirmation and Credo (Musical score). New Berlin, WI: Jenson Publications.
- Michael Hennagin, Dance Scene, (New Berlin, WI: Jenson Publications, 1979).
- Michael Schelle, King Ubu, (St. Louis, MO: Norruth Music, 1980).
- "The St. Olaf Band," St. Olaf Department of Music, accessed April 7, 2012, http://www.stolaf.edu/multimedia/streams/programs/2010/2010-05-28_stolaf_band.pdf.
- Ferris State College Centennial Task Force, Report to the President from the Centennial Task Force, 1982.
- "James Barnes," in Composers on Composing for Band, vol. 4, ed. Mark Camphouse (Chicago: GIA Publications, 2002), 28.
- Gary W. Hill, "Robert Rodriguez, The Seven Deadly Sins: An Interview With Rehearsal Commentary," in The Wind Band and Its Repertoire: Two Decades of Research as Published in the College Band Directors National Association Journal, ed. Michael Votta, Donald Hunsberger Wind Library (Miami: Warner Bros, 2008), 31.
- Alan W. Mills, "The Life and Career of James Edwin Croft" (PhD dissertation, Florida State University, 2010), 233, http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-09212010-032524/unrestricted/Mills_A_Dissertation_2010.pdf; Daniel Powell, "The Life and Music of John Boda With An Emphasis on His Saxophone Works" (DMus dissertation, Florida State University, 2009), 38n162, http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-08222009-113914/unrestricted/Powell_D_Treatise_2009.pdf.
- "James Curnow," in Composers on Composing for Band, vol. 2, ed. Mark Camphouse (Chicago: GIA Publications, 2004), 37.
- "Timothy Broege," in Composers on Composing for Band, vol. 4, ed. Mark Camphouse (Chicago: GIA Publications, 2002), 74.
- "James Barnes," in Composers on Composing for Band, vol. 4, ed. Mark Camphouse (Chicago: GIA Publications, 2002), 34.
- David Holsinger, In The Spring, at the Time When Kings Go Off to War, (San Antonio, TX: Southern Music, 1998).
- "History of the Eta Omega Chapter," Eta Omega Chapter of Tau Beta Sigma, accessed December 30, 2011, http://tbsetaomega.csufresno.edu/history.html
- Pan Am Flight 103/Lockerbie Air Disaster Archives at Syracuse University, http://archives.syr.edu/panam/other_collections/pa103_o_riverwalk.htm.
- David Maslanka, "In Memoriam," accessed December 30, 2011, http://www.davidmaslanka.com/wind-ensemble/in-memoriam/.
- Robert Sheldon, Danse Celestiale, (Oskaloosa, IA: Birch Island Music, 1989).
- "Infinite Horizons," Pender's Music Co., accessed December 30, 2011, http://www.penders.com/p/6903800.
- Frank Ticheli, "Gaian Visions," accessed December 30, 2011, http://www.manhattanbeachmusic.com/html/gaian_visions.html.
- Julie Giroux, Space Symphony, (San Antonio, TX: Southern Music, 1991).
- "New Music for Winds: Collage," accessed December 30, 2011, http://www.gnudb.org/cd/cld40ee10d.
- "Mary Jeanne van Appledorn," Contemporary Record Society, accessed December 29, 2011, http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeewvp/contemporaryrecordsociety/id26.html.
- "Epsilon Kappa Chapter History," Epsilon Kappa Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi, accessed December 30, 2011, http://www.angelo.edu/org/kappakap/History.html.
- Cynthia Folio, "Compositions," accessed December 28, 2011, http://astro.temple.edu/~cfolio/comps.html.
- Stephen Melillo, STORMQuest: Revenge of the Darkseekers!, 1997.
- Timothy Rhea, Capitan Majesty, (Alto, NM: TRN Music, 1999).
- William J. Zick, "Gary Powell Nash: '"Fraternal Prelude," Commissioned by the Band Fraternity at Morgan State University,'" November 6, 2011, accessed December 28, 2011, http://africlassical.blogspot.com/2011/11/gary-powell-nash-fraternal-prelude.html.
- College Band Directors National Association, "Premieres," Report, Fall 1998, 4, http://www.cbdna.org/pdf/Report1998fl.pdf.
- Melillo, Stephen (2007). "Comprehensive List of Works for Band". In Camphouse, Mark. Composers on Composing for Band. 3. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 174–85. ISBN 978-1-57999-631-4.
- Jack Stamp, "Program Notes," accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.c-alanpublications.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Product_Code=04720&Screen=PROD.
- "An American Elegy by Frank Ticheli," Manhattan Beach Music, accessed November 26, 2011, http://manhattanbeachmusiconline.com/frank_ticheli/html/an_american_elegy.html.
- Jerome Miskell, "Composer," accessed December 18, 2011, http://raider.mountunion.edu/~miskeljp/miskell/composer.htm.
- Robert W. Smith, To the Summit! (Strive for the Highest), (Van Nuys, CA: Belwin Band, 2001).
- Linda Metz, "Band Performance Music to Ears of Monongahela Native," Observer-Reporter, November 5, 2001, https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=20011104&id=y7djAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_CgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2089,28220818.
- "High Adventure," UC Bearcat Bands, March 9, 2004, accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.ucband.uc.edu/highadventure/purpose.html.
- "Appalachian Wind Ensemble performs April 20," Appalachian State University, April 6, 2011, accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.news.appstate.edu/2011/04/06/wind-ensemble-10/.
- MJ Cotton, Dakota, (Greensboro, NC: C. Alan Publications, 2002).
- "Wind Ensemble to Perform Premiere Composition Reflecting Emotion of 9-11," Angelo State University, November 7, 2002, accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.angelo.edu/services/communications_marketing/archives/02nov/07-11-02.php.
- Paul Richards, "Jacob's Ladder," accessed June 23, 2012, http://www.paulrichardsmusic.com/compositions/jacobsladder.html
- James Dreiling, "Of the Greatest Value," The Shocker, 2002, http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/shockermag/show/dept.asp?_s=1104&_d=3.
- Marsha Nilles, "West Aurora Bands to Perform Fall Concerts Oct. 18 and 20," October 17, 2011, accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.sd129.org/mobile/news/news.asp?id=district&newsid=1805.
- Sean O'Loughlin, Vigor, (New York: Carl Fischer, 2003).
- Alan W. Mills, "The Life and Career of James Edwin Croft," 172, http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-09212010-032524/unrestricted/Mills_A_Dissertation_2010.pdf.
- "ITG 2003 Army Brass Quintet," accessed June 23, 2012, http://www.trumpetguild.org/2003conference/thur/206.html. A transcription for wind band was made in 2008 by David Campo.
- Philip Sparke, "Morning Song," accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.philipsparke.com/Morning%20Song%20CB.htm.
- Paul Richards, "Fanatic Fanfare," accessed December 28, 2011, http://www.paulrichardsmusic.com/compositions/fanaticfanfare.html.
- Carolyn Barber, "Greetings from Westbrook," Belle Lyre Summer/Fall 2007, 2, http://www.nebandalums.org/graphics/content/bellelyresummer07.pdf.
- Brian Biddle, "Works," accessed December 28, 2011, http://brian-biddle.com/works.html.
- Julie Giroux, Husaria Cavalry Overture, (New York: Carl Fischer, 2006).
- Sean O'Loughlin, Ancient Irish Hymn, (San Antonio, TX: Musica Propria, 2006).
- Stephen Emmons, curriculum vita, 3, http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/cv/semmons.pdf.
- Adam F. Brennan, Dream, (Rochester, NY: Webfield Productions, 2007).
- Allison Grigsby, "OBU Wind Ensemble presents spring concert," accessed December 18, 2011, http://media.obu.edu/2009/03/obu-wind-ensemble-presents-spring-concert/.
- David Shaffer, Purple Heart, (Oskaloosa, IA: CL Barnhouse, 2007).
- Lisa Haberzettl, "Symphonic band 'blows' audience away," The Maine Campus, December 10, 2007, http://mainecampus.com/2007/12/10/symphonic-band-blows-audience-away/.
- James Woodward, "Biography," Woodward Music Publications, August 16, 2012, http://www.jameswoodwardmusic.com/Biography.html.
- Brad Newman, "From the minds of composers," Amarillo Globe-News, August 24, 2008, http://amarillo.com/stories/082408/art_arts1.shtml.
- George Lam, "Portfolio," accessed December 18, 2011, http://www.gtlam.com/music.
- Rob Smith, "Fuse," accessed December 18, 2011, http://robsmithcomposer.com/wind-ensemble/fuse/.
- Danielle Kloap, "Campus Kicks Off Centennial Celebration," The Voice, April 1, 2009, http://thevoice.uamont.edu/archives/6-20/news/centennial.
- "E-Newsletter," April 2009, accessed December 18, 2011, http://umaa.umd.edu/E-Newsletter/april_09.html.
- Judith Lang Zaimont, Concerto for Piano and Wind Orchestra: Solar Traveler, (Verona, NJ: Subito Music, 2009).
- "Works for Large Ensemble," Eric Honour, accessed December 18, 2011, http://www.erichonour.com/CompositionLargeEns.html.
- "HardDrive," Julie Giroux, accessed April 7, 2012, http://www.musicapropria.com/musicpages/hard_drive.html.
- Shana Tachikawa, "Ohio Northern University hosts 35th Annual Spring Band Festival," accessed December 18, 2011, http://www.onu.edu/node/26964.
- "Wind Ensemble, All Star High School Band to Play Clowes," Butler University, February 10, 2010, accessed December 18, 2011, http://www.butler.edu/absolutenm/templates/default.aspx?a=1506.
- Kappa Kappa Psi - Beta Rho's Facebook page, accessed December 18, 2011, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kappa-Kappa-Psi-Beta-Rho/103010359735141.
- "Copenhaver’s Retirement Marks the End of an Era for USC Bands," Da Capo, Spring 2010, 16–7, http://www.music.sc.edu/AlumCommVis/Summer_10_DaCapo.pdf.
- "April 17 Concert to Feature World Premiere of Composer's Piece Dedicated to WSC," Wayne State College, April 3, 2012, accessed June 22, 2012, http://www.wsc.edu/newscenter/story_archives/stories.php?iid=1752.
- Zachary Friedland, "'Someday,'" PODIUM, Fall 2011, 4, http://www.kkytbs.org/podium/Podium-Fa2011.pdf.
- "District Convention," Kappa Kappa Psi Northeast District, accessed March 26, 2012, http://www.kkpsi-ned.com/district-convention.html.
- Steven Bryant, "Current Projects," accessed December 18, 2011, http://www.stevenbryant.com/index.php.
- John Mackey, "Works In Progress," accessed December 29, 2011, http://www.ostimusic.com/InProgress.html.
- Richard D Hall Music, http://richallmusic.com/Index-Frameset.htm.
- "National Intercollegiate Band," ΚΚΨ/ΤΒΣ National Convention, accessed December 9, 2014, http://www.kkytbs.org/nib/index.html