List of years in animation
This is a lists of years in animation.
1800 to 1900
- 1919 – Felix the Cat, one of animation's earliest stars, appears in his first cartoon Feline Follies
- 1928 – Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie starring Mickey Mouse along with Minnie Mouse becomes the first ever synchronized cartoons with sound.
- 1928 – Dizzy Dishes marks the first original appearance of Betty Boop, and Warner Bros. release their iconic series of cartoons Looney Tunes.
- 1932 – Flowers and Trees becomes the first colour cartoon and wins the very first Oscar for best animated short film; Goofy (original name Dippy Dawg) makes his debut in Mickey's Revue.
- 1933 – Popeye makes his first screen appearance alongside Betty Boop in Popeye the Sailor.
- 1934 – Donald Duck makes his official debut in Disney cartoon The Wise Little Hen.
- 1935 – Merrie Melodies cartoon I Haven't Got a Hat marks the debut of the first major Looney Tune Porky Pig.
- 1937 – The release of the world's very first ever full-length animated feature film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Daffy Duck makes his Looney Tunes debut in Porky's Duck Hunt.
- 1939 – Release of Gulliver's Travels
- 1940 – Releases of Disney's second feature-length animated film Pinocchio, three years on from the release of Snow White, and third film Fantasia which stars Mickey Mouse in his first feature film appearance. Knock Knock featuring Andy Panda marks the first original appearance of Woody Woodpecker, A Wild Hare introduces to the world the iconic main Looney Tune, Bugs Bunny and Puss Gets the Boot marks the first official debut appearance of Tom and Jerry (originally named Jasper and Jinx).
- 1941 – Releases of Dumbo, and Mr. Bug Goes to Town
- 1942 – Release of Bambi, Mouse of Tomorrow marks the first screen appearance of Mighty Mouse, and Tweety Bird debuts in his first Looney Tunes cartoon A Tale of Two Kitties.
- 1945 – Casper the Friendly Ghost makes his first screen appearance in The Friendly Ghost, and Sylvester the Cat debuts in his first Looney Tunes cartoon Life with Feathers.
- 1948 – Oscar winning Looney Tunes cartoon Tweety Pie features Sylvester and Tweety pairing up together for the first time, becoming one of the memorable rivalries in Looney Tunes history; Bugs Bunny cartoon Haredevil Hare also has the debut of Marvin the Martian.
- 1949 – Mr. Magoo makes his first appearance in The Ragtime Bear and Crusader Rabbit becomes the first made for television animated series; Looney Tunes Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner debut in their first Looney Tunes cartoon Fast and Furry-ous.
- 1950 – Release of Cinderella
- 1951 – Release of Alice in Wonderland.
- 1953 – Release of Peter Pan which also features the debut appearance of Disney's iconic fairy Tinkerbell.
- 1955 – Release of Lady and the Tramp becoming the first animated film in CinemaScope.
- 1957 – Hanna-Barbera is founded, followed by the first broadcast of its first show The Ruff and Reddy Show, along with The Woody Woodpecker Show; The release of the critically acclaimed Looney Tunes cartoon What's Opera, Doc?
- 1958 – Alvin and the Chipmunks make their debut appearance with the release of their classic Christmas song The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) along with the first broadcast of The Huckleberry Hound Show
- 1959 – Release of Sleeping Beauty and first broadcasts of The Quick Draw McGraw Show and Rocky and His Friends
- 1960 – First broadcast of popular Hanna-Barbera cartoon The Flintstones
- 1961 – Release of One Hundred and One Dalmatians and first broadcasts of The Yogi Bear Show, The Alvin Show and Top Cat
- 1962 – Release of Gay Purr-ee and first broadcasts of The Jetsons and The Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series
- 1963 – Release of The Sword in the Stone and first broadcasts of The Magilla Gorilla Show and the first anime television series Astro Boy
- 1964 – Release of the first ever Pink Panther cartoon The Pink Phink, after The Pink Panther himself appeared in the massively successful animated opening of the 1963 film of the same name, starring Peter Sellers; First original French broadcast of The Magic Roundabout along with Johnny Quest, Underdog and the Christmas TV special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 1965 – First broadcast of Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel along with the first screen appearance of the Peanuts in A Charlie Brown Christmas
- 1966 – First broadcasts of Space Ghost and Camberwick Green along with How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
- 1967 – Release of The Jungle Book, just a year after the death of Walt Disney, and first broadcasts of George of the Jungle and Spider-Man
- 1968 – Release of Yellow Submarine and first broadcast of Wacky Races and The Archie Show
- 1969 – First broadcasts of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, The Pink Panther Show and Clangers, along with the TV specials Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Fat Albert and Frosty the Snowman
- 1970 – Release of The Aristocats and the first broadcast of Josie and the Pussycats
- 1971 – First broadcast of Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch! along with the specials The Cat in the Hat and Here Comes Peter Cottontail; the first Annie Awards are given.
- 1972 – Release of Fritz the Cat, marking the launch of adult animation, along with the first broadcast of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.
- 1973 – Releases of Heavy Traffic, Robin Hood and Charlotte's Web and first broadcasts of The Wombles and Yogi's Gang
- 1974 – First broadcasts of Hong Kong Phooey, Roobarb and Bagpuss
- 1975 – Release of Coonskin, along with the first broadcasts of Paddington, The Great Grape Ape Show, Bod and Ivor the Engine
- 1976 – First broadcasts of The Scooby-Doo Show, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, Chorlton and the Wheelies, Jamie and the Magic Torch and Noah and Nelly in... SkylArk.
- 1977 – Releases of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, Wizards and The Hobbit and first broadcasts of Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Laff-A-Lympics and The Flumps
- 1978 – Releases of The Lord of the Rings and Watership Down
- 1979 – First broadcast of Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo
- 1980 – The Amazing Adventures of Morph
- 1981 – The Smurfs, Postman Pat, The Fox and the Hound, Willo the Wisp, Danger Mouse
- 1982 – SuperTed, The Secret of NIMH, The Snowman
- 1983 – He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Mickey's Christmas Carol, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Inspector Gadget, The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, Henry's Cat, Bananaman
- 1984 – The Transformers, The Family-Ness, Heathcliff, Voltron, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, The Wind in the Willows, The Trap Door, Rupert and the Frog Song, Muppet Babies
- 1985 – ThunderCats, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, The Black Cauldron, Care Bears, The Wuzzles
- 1986 – An American Tail, The Great Mouse Detective, The Real Ghostbusters, Dragon Ball, Castle in the Sky, The Transformers: The Movie, Pingu; Pixar is formed, along with its first short Luxo Jr..
- 1987 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fireman Sam, DuckTales
- 1988 – Who Framed Roger Rabbit, My Neighbour Totoro, Count Duckula, Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Oliver and Company, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Garfield and Friends, The Land Before Time
- 1989 – The Simpsons, The Little Mermaid, Wallace and Gromit, Beetlejuice, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Muzzy, Kiki's Delivery Service, Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
- 1990 – Tiny Toon Adventures, The Rescuers Down Under, TaleSpin, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Tom and Jerry Kids, Bobby's World
- 1991 – Beauty and the Beast, Doug, Rugrats, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Father Christmas, Super Mario World, Darkwing Duck, The Adventures of Tintin, Rupert, Spider!, Only Yesterday, Aeon Flux
- 1992 – Sailor Moon, Aladdin, Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, Crayon Shin-Chan, Porco Rosso; Cartoon Network is launched
- 1993 – The Nightmare Before Christmas, Animaniacs, Beavis and Butt-head, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, 2 Stupid Dogs, Rocko's Modern Life, Sonic the Hedgehog, Biker Mice From Mars, VeggieTales
- 1994 – The Lion King, Spider-Man, Pom Poko, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, The Magic School Bus, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
- 1995 – Toy Story, The What A Cartoon Show, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Pocahontas, Timon & Pumbaa, Whisper of the Heart, The Mask: Animated Series, Pinky and the Brain
- 1996 – James and the Giant Peach, Space Jam, Arthur, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Jungle Cubs, Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold
- 1997 – Pokémon, Princess Mononoke, South Park, I Am Weasel, Johnny Bravo, Hercules, Cow and Chicken, The Angry Beavers, Cats Don't Dance, 101 Dalmatians: The Series, Daria, King of the Hill, Caillou, Recess, Anastasia
- 1998 – The Powerpuff Girls, A Bug's Life, Antz, Oh Yeah! Cartoons, The Wild Thornberrys, Mulan, The Prince of Egypt, CatDog, Bob and Margaret, The First Snow of Winter, Bob the Builder
- 1999 – SpongeBob SquarePants, The Iron Giant, Family Guy, Futurama, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Tarzan, Digimon: Digital Monsters, Redwall, Toy Story 2, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, The New Woody Woodpecker Show, Hilltop Hospital, Mona the Vampire, 64 Zoo Lane, Oggy and the Cockroaches, Robbie the Reindeer, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rocket Power, Mike, Lu and Og
- 2000 – Chicken Run, Dora the Explorer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Happy Tree Friends, Dinosaur, As Told By Ginger, Teacher's Pet, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, The Emperor's New Groove, Sheep in the Big City, Clifford the Big Red Dog
- 2001 – Shrek, The Fairly OddParents, Monsters, Inc., Spirited Away, Grim & Evil, Samurai Jack, Time Squad, El Nombre, Teamo Supremo, Yu-Gi-Oh!, The Proud Family, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, House of Mouse, Stanley, Totally Spies!, Invader Zim; Gorillaz release their self-titled debut album
- 2002 – The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Ice Age, Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?, The Cat Returns, Filmore!, Lilo & Stitch, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, ChalkZone, ¡Mucha Lucha!, Mr. Bean: The Animated Series, Kim Possible, Treasure Planet, Bounty Hamster, Codename: Kids Next Door
- 2003 – Finding Nemo, Teen Titans, The Triplets of Belleville, The Venture Bros., The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Xiaolin Showdown, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Beyblade, Brother Bear, Creature Comforts, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), Sonic X, Jojo's Circus, Code Lyoko, All Grown Up!
- 2004 – Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, The Backyardigans, Drawn Together, Shrek 2, The Polar Express, Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends, Franny's Feet, Atomic Betty, Peppa Pig, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Danny Phantom, The Incredibles, Dave the Barbarian, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Winx Club, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, Howl's Moving Castle, Higglytown Heroes, W.I.T.C.H.
- 2005 – Ben 10, Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Corpse Bride, American Dad!, Robot Chicken, Madagascar, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Catscratch, Go, Diego, Go!, Camp Lazlo, Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, Squidbillies, Little Einsteins, Gerald McBoing Boing, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, American Dragon: Jake Long, Johnny Test, The Buzz on Maggie; Gorillaz release Demon Days
- 2006 – Yin Yang Yo!, Curious George, Happy Feet, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!, Cars, Handy Manny, Monster House, Wonder Pets!, Flushed Away, Viva Piñata, Horrid Henry, Class of 3000, My Gym Partner's A Monkey, Pucca, Over the Hedge, The Replacements, The Secret Show, The Emperor's New School
- 2007 – Phineas and Ferb, Ratatouille, Back at the Barnyard, Chowder, Surf's Up, The Simpsons Movie, El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera, Transformers Animated, Storm Hawks, Shaun the Sheep, Ni Hao, Kai-Lan
- 2008 – Kung Fu Panda, Ponyo, Total Drama, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, WALL-E, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Ben 10: Alien Force, Random! Cartoons, Waltz with Bashir, The Mighty B, The Secret Saturdays, Sid the Science Kid, The Mr. Men Show, Bolt, Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, Martha Speaks, The Penguins of Madagascar
- 2009 – Coraline, Fanboy & Chum Chum, Mary and Max, The Garfield Show, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Up, Archer, The Cleveland Show, The Secret of Kells, The Princess and the Frog, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Monsters vs. Aliens, Special Agent Oso, The Gruffalo
- 2010 – Despicable Me, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Toy Story 3, Adventure Time, The Ricky Gervais Show, Tangled, How to Train Your Dragon, T.U.F.F. Puppy, Octonauts, Generator Rex, Chico and Rita, Team Umizoomi, Regular Show, The Illusionist, Arrietty, Megamind, Fish Hooks, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- 2011 – Bob's Burgers, The Adventures of Tintin, The Amazing World of Gumball, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Arthur Christmas, Rango, A Cat in Paris, The Looney Tunes Show, Rio, Rastamouse, Puss in Boots, Bubble Guppies, A Monster in Paris, From Up on Poppy Hill, Kung Fu Panda 2, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness
- 2012 – The Legend of Korra, Brave, Gravity Falls, Ben 10: Omniverse, Wreck-it Ralph, ParaNorman, Hotel Transylvania, Frankenweenie, Doc McStuffins, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, Rise of the Guardians, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012), Sofia the First, DreamWorks Dragons, Peter Rabbit, Littlest Pet Shop (2012), Om Nom Stories
- 2013 – Frozen, Rick and Morty, Mickey Mouse, The Wind Rises, Turbo, Turbo FAST (which debuts on Netflix rather than cable or commercial TV), The Croods, Teen Titans Go!, Despicable Me 2, Angry Birds Toons, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Epic, Underdogs, Steven Universe, PAW Patrol, Sanjay and Craig, Uncle Grandpa, Wander Over Yonder
- 2014 – The Lego Movie, Over the Garden Wall, Big Hero 6, Clarence, The Book of Life, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas, Star Wars Rebels, When Marnie Was There, Mixels, Sonic Boom, Dora and Friends: Into the City!, BoJack Horseman, Song of the Sea, The Boxtrolls, Blaze and the Monster Machines, All Hail King Julien, Sheriff Callie's Wild West
- 2015 – Inside Out, Thunderbirds Are Go, ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks, Shaun the Sheep Movie, Dinotrux, Danger Mouse (2015), Home, Minions, The Lion Guard, The Good Dinosaur, The Peanuts Movie, We Bare Bears, The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show, Harvey Beaks, Anomalisa, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Talking Tom and Friends, The Little Prince
- 2016 – Zootopia, Finding Dory, The Powerpuff Girls (2016), Sausage Party, Moana, The Secret Life of Pets, Milo Murphy's Law, Elena of Avalor, Trolls, Kung Fu Panda 3, Kubo and the Two Strings, Sing, The Loud House, Storks, Animals., Mighty Magiswords, The Red Turtle, Justice League Action, Trollhunters, My Life as a Courgette, Home: Adventures with Tip and Oh, Future-Worm!, Voltron: Legendary Defender
- 2017 – The Breadwinner, Coco, The Lego Batman Movie, DuckTales (2017), Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, Despicable Me 3, Bunsen Is a Beast, Tangled: The Series, Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, Loving Vincent, Hanazuki: Full of Treasures
- 2018 – Early Man, The Incredibles 2, Smallfoot, Isle of Dogs, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch, Luna Around the World