List of years in film
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in film|
This page indexes the individual year in film pages. Each year is annotated with its significant events.
- 19th century in film
- 20th century in film:
- 21st century in film:
19th century in film
- 1888 – The lost and earliest surviving film, the Roundhay Garden Scene shot in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, through a groundbreaking 20 frames per second.
- 1893 – Thomas Edison creates "America's First Film Studio", the Black Maria. The first film shown publicly on the Kinetoscope, a system given to Edison, is Blacksmiths.
- 1895 – In France, the Lumière brothers screen ten films at the Salon Indien du Grand Café in Paris. Gaumont, the world's oldest film studio, is founded by inventor Léon Gaumont.
- 1896 – Pathé-Frères is founded. The Lumière brothers release six more short films, one of which is L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat.
- 1897 – Vitagraph is founded in New York.
- 1899 – Georges Méliès releases The Dreyfus Affair and Cinderella (the first film version of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale).
- 1900 – Earliest known colour motion picture film footage by Edward Raymond Turner, Sherlock Holmes Baffled, The Enchanted Drawing, Joan of Arc
- 1901 – Star Theatre, Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost, Fire!, The Man with the Rubber Head, Stop Thief!
- 1902 – A Trip to the Moon
- 1903 – The Great Train Robbery, Life of an American Fireman
- 1904 – The Impossible Voyage; Titanus is founded
- 1905 – Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; or, Held for Ransom
- 1906 – The Story of the Kelly Gang, Humorous Phases of Funny Faces, Dream of a Rarebit Fiend; Nordisk Film is founded
- 1907 – Ben Hur, L'Enfant prodigue
- 1908 – Fantasmagorie, The Taming of the Shrew, The Thieving Hand, The Assassination of the Duke of Guise, A Visit to the Seaside; first use of Kinemacolor; Pathé News invents the newsreel
- 1909 – The Country Doctor, A Corner in Wheat, Les Misérables, Princess Nicotine; or, The Smoke Fairy; 35 mm film becomes an international standard.
- 1910 – In Old California, In the Border States, White Fawn's Devotion
- 1911 – L'Inferno, Defence of Sevastopol, Baron Munchausen's Dream, Little Nemo, The Lonedale Operator
- 1912 – Independenţa României, The Musketeers of Pig Alley; Universal Pictures and Paramount Pictures, Hollywood's first studios, are founded; British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) is established
- 1913 – The Bangville Police, Barney Oldfield's Race for a Life, Fantômas, Raja Harishchandra; Invention of the film trailer
- 1914 – The Perils of Pauline, Judith of Bethulia, Tillie's Punctured Romance, Cabiria
- 1915 – The Birth of a Nation, Les Vampires, The Tramp, A Fool There Was
- 1916 – Intolerance, The Queen of Spades, Gertie the Dinosaur, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, One A.M.; invention of Technicolor
- 1917 – Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, A Man There Was, The Little Princess
- 1918 – Stella Maris, Mickey, Shifting Sands, A Dog's Life, Shoulder Arms
- 1919 – Blind Husbands, Broken Blossoms, True Heart Susie, Male and Female, Dalagang Bukid, A Day's Pleasure; United Artists is founded.
- 1920 – Way Down East, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem: How He Came into the World, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Mark of Zorro, The Flapper, Within Our Gates
- 1921 – The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Phantom Carriage, The Kid, Laurel and Hardy, Destiny, The Sheik, Camille, Fool's Paradise, The Mechanical Man, The Phantom Carriage, Tol'able David
- 1922 – Nosferatu, Nanook of the North, Blood and Sand, Foolish Wives, Dr. Mabuse the Gambler, The Little Rascals; Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is established.
- 1923 – Safety Last!, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Ten Commandments; Warner Bros. Pictures and Walt Disney Pictures are founded; 16 mm film introduced
- 1924 – Greed, Sherlock Jr., He Who Gets Slapped, The Last Laugh; Columbia Pictures and Metro Goldwyn Mayer are founded
- 1925 – The Battleship Potemkin, The Big Parade, The Gold Rush, The Phantom of the Opera, Ben-Hur
- 1926 – The General, Don Juan, Son of the Sheik, The Adventures of Prince Achmed
- 1927 – Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Napoléon, The Jazz Singer, Metropolis, The King of Kings, Wings
- 1928 – The Passion of Joan of Arc, Lights of New York, The Circus, Steamboat Willie (first Mickey Mouse cartoon), The Crowd; RKO Pictures is founded
- 1929 – Blackmail, The Virginian, Pandora's Box, The Broadway Melody, Disraeli; 1st Academy Awards
- 1930 – Looney Tunes, All Quiet on the Western Front, Journey's End, Hell's Angels, The Blue Angel, Abraham Lincoln, Animal Crackers, Anna Christie, The Divorcee, Tom Sawyer, The Big House
- 1931 – Frankenstein, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, City Lights, M, The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Cimarron, East Lynne, The Front Page, Skippy, Trader Horn, The Champ
- 1932 – The Mummy, The Sign of the Cross, Tarzan the Ape Man, Shanghai Express, Flowers and Trees, Scarface, Freaks, Grand Hotel; 8 mm film released
- 1933 – King Kong, The Invisible Man, Duck Soup, 42nd Street, Three Little Pigs, Queen Christina, She Done Him Wrong, Popeye the Sailor
- 1934 – It Happened One Night, Cleopatra, The Thin Man, Judge Priest, The Black Cat, The Three Stooges, Manhattan Melodrama, The Goddess
- 1935 – A Night at the Opera, Top Hat, Bride of Frankenstein, Captain Blood, The 39 Steps, The Littlest Rebel, Mutiny on the Bounty; 20th Century Fox and The Rank Organisation are founded
- 1936 – Modern Times, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, My Man Godfrey, The Great Ziegfeld, Flash Gordon, Secret Agent, Come and Get It
- 1937 – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, La Grande Illusion, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Life of Emile Zola, Way Out West, Lost Horizon, Pépé le Moko
- 1938 – Bringing Up Baby, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Alexander Nevsky, Angels with Dirty Faces, Jezebel, Boys Town
- 1939 – Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Stagecoach, Gunga Din
- 1940 – His Girl Friday, The Grapes of Wrath, The Philadelphia Story, The Great Dictator, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Rebecca, Tom and Jerry, The Mark of Zorro, The Shop Around the Corner, Abbot & Costello, Kitty Foyle, The Long Voyage Home, All This, and Heaven Too, Foreign Correspondent, The Letter, Our Town, Road to... series
- 1941 – Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, The Lady Eve, How Green Was My Valley, Sergeant York, Dumbo, The Wolf Man, Blossoms in the Dust, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Hold Back the Dawn, Woody Woodpecker, The Little Foxes, One Foot in Heaven, Suspicion, Superman (original animated theatrical series)
- 1942 – Casablanca, The Magnificent Ambersons, To Be or Not to Be, Cat People, Bambi, Mrs. Miniver, Yankee Doodle Dandy
- 1943 – Heaven Can Wait, Phantom of the Opera, The Song of Bernadette, Shadow of a Doubt, Lassie Come Home, The Ox-Bow Incident
- 1944 – Double Indemnity, Ivan the Terrible, Meet Me in St. Louis, To Have and Have Not, Laura, Murder, My Sweet, Gaslight; 1st Golden Globe Awards
- 1945 – Leave Her to Heaven, The Lost Weekend, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Rome, Open City, Brief Encounter, Anchors Aweigh, Spellbound
- 1946 – It's a Wonderful Life, Notorious, My Darling Clementine, Song of the South, Great Expectations, Blue Skies, The Big Sleep, The Best Years of Our Lives; First Cannes Film Festival
- 1947 – Miracle on 34th Street, The Lady from Shanghai, Odd Man Out, Monsieur Verdoux, Out of the Past
- 1948 – Bicycle Thieves, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Red River, The Red Shoes, Easter Parade, The Paleface; 1st British Academy Film Awards
- 1949 – The Third Man, All the King's Men, White Heat, The Heiress, Whisky Galore!, On the Town
- 1950 – Sunset Boulevard, All About Eve, Los Olvidados, Annie Get Your Gun, In a Lonely Place, Harvey, Cinderella, Father of the Bride, Rashomon, Orphée, Born Yesterday, King Solomon's Mines
- 1951 – A Streetcar Named Desire, Alice in Wonderland, The African Queen, Strangers on a Train, An American in Paris, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Ace in the Hole, Scrooge, The Red Badge of Courage, Quo Vadis, A Place in the Sun, Decision Before Dawn
- 1952 – Singin' in the Rain, The Bad and the Beautiful, High Noon, This Is Cinerama, Ikiru, The Quiet Man, Moulin Rouge, Limelight; first 3D films
- 1953 – Peter Pan, From Here to Eternity, Tokyo Story, Ugetsu, The Earrings of Madame de..., Calamity Jane, The Band Wagon, Trouble in Store, Shane, The Robe, Salome, Kiss Me Kate, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, first use of CinemaScope; British cinema advertising group Pearl & Dean is founded.
- 1954 – The Seven Samurai, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, La Strada, White Christmas, Sansho the Bailiff, On the Waterfront, Godzilla, A Star Is Born, Animal Farm, Voyage in Italy
- 1955 – Rebel Without a Cause, To Catch a Thief, The Night of the Hunter, Ordet, Pather Panchali, Mister Roberts, Lady and the Tramp, Marty, The Court Jester, Oklahoma!
- 1956 – The Ten Commandments, Carousel, The King and I, Giant, High Society, The Searchers, Written on the Wind, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Forbidden Planet, Around the World in 80 Days
- 1957 – 12 Angry Men, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Sweet Smell of Success, Let's All Go to the Lobby, Paths of Glory, Throne of Blood, Old Yeller
- 1958 – Vertigo, Gigi, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, South Pacific, Touch of Evil, Ashes and Diamonds, Jalsaghar, Mon Oncle, The Cranes Are Flying, The Blob, The Defiant Ones, Carry On series
- 1959 – Some Like It Hot, Ben-Hur, Shake Hands with the Devil, North by Northwest, Anatomy of a Murder, Sleeping Beauty, Rio Bravo, Pickpocket, Pillow Talk, The Mouse That Roared
- 1960 – Psycho, Breathless, Exodus, Spartacus, The Apartment, The Alamo, La Dolce Vita, L'Avventura, Ocean's 11, The Magnificent Seven, The Time Machine, Pollyanna, Eyes Without a Face, Swiss Family Robinson, Elmer Gantry, Sons and Lovers, The Sundowners
- 1961 – West Side Story, Judgment at Nuremberg, Divorce, Italian Style, Yojimbo, Breakfast at Tiffany's, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Havoc in Heaven, The Guns of Navarone, A Majority of One, Pocketful of Miracles
- 1962 – Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill a Mockingbird, James Bond film series, The Manchurian Candidate, Ivan's Childhood, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Lolita, Sundays and Cybele
- 1963 – The Birds, Hud, Not on Your Life, The Haunting, The Great Escape, Lilies of the Field, 8½, Cleopatra, How the West Was Won, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Pink Panther, The Nutty Professor, Jason and the Argonauts
- 1964 – Mary Poppins, A Hard Day's Night, A Fistful of Dollars, My Fair Lady, Dr. Strangelove, The Pink Panther cartoon series, Woman in the Dunes, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Up series
- 1965 – The Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago, For a Few Dollars More, The Great Race, Cat Ballou, Repulsion
- 1966 – Persona, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Sand Pebbles, A Man for All Seasons, The Battle of Algiers, Fantastic Voyage, Born Free, Alfie, The Wild Angels
- 1967 – Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Cool Hand Luke, In the Heat of the Night, Dont Look Back, The Jungle Book, The Dirty Dozen, The Producers, Doctor Dolittle, Thoroughly Modern Millie
- 1968 – 2001: A Space Odyssey, Once Upon a Time in the West, Rosemary's Baby, Night of the Living Dead, Planet of the Apes, Oliver!, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Love Bug, Yellow Submarine, Bullitt, Yours, Mine and Ours, Funny Girl
- 1969 – Midnight Cowboy, True Grit, Easy Rider, Z, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch, Sweet Charity, The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots, Hello, Dolly!, The Italian Job
- 1970 – Love Story, Performance, The Aristocats, Five Easy Pieces, Patton, M*A*S*H, The Conformist, Woodstock, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Airport, Let It Be, Two Mules for Sister Sara; first IMAX films
- 1971 – The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Dirty Harry, The Last Picture Show, Fiddler on the Roof, Billy Jack, Shaft, Duel, Get Carter, Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- 1972 – The Godfather, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Solaris, Cries and Whispers, Deep Throat, Last Tango in Paris, What's Up, Doc?, Cabaret, The Poseidon Adventure
- 1973 – The Exorcist, Don't Look Now, Badlands, Amarcord, The Sting, Enter the Dragon, Mean Streets, American Graffiti, Paper Moon, The Wicker Man, Papillon
- 1974 – A Woman Under the Influence, The Godfather Part II, Chinatown, The Conversation, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Black Christmas, The Towering Inferno, That's Entertainment!
- 1975 – Jaws, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, Nashville, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Hedgehog in the Fog; videocassette recorders appear on mass market
- 1976 – Taxi Driver, Rocky, Network, Carrie, All the President's Men, In the Realm of the Senses, 1900, A Star is Born, Logan's Run, The Omen, Bugsy Malone, The Outlaw Josey Wales
- 1977 – Star Wars, Annie Hall, A Bridge Too Far, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever, Providence, Pete's Dragon, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Hills Have Eyes, Suspiria, Eraserhead
- 1978 – Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Grease, Midnight Express, Days of Heaven, The Deer Hunter, Superman, Up In Smoke, National Lampoon's Animal House, Watership Down
- 1979 – Apocalypse Now, Mad Max, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Alien, Kramer vs. Kramer, Manhattan, Stalker, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Muppet Movie, Tale of Tales
- 1980 – The Shining, Raging Bull, Ordinary People, Kagemusha, Airplane!, Caddyshack, The Blues Brothers, Flash Gordon, Friday the 13th, Fame, 9 to 5, Coal Miner's Daughter, The Elephant Man, Gloria, Private Benjamin
- 1981 – Raiders of the Lost Ark, On Golden Pond, Chariots of Fire, Pennies from Heaven, Das Boot, Reds, Blow Out, The Evil Dead, Arthur, Cannonball Run, Scanners, Time Bandits, The Great Muppet Caper, Clash of the Titans, An American Werewolf in London, Escape From New York
- 1982 – E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Blade Runner, Sophie's Choice, Poltergeist, Fitzcarraldo, Fanny and Alexander, Tootsie, Gandhi, Tron, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 48 Hrs., Annie, First Blood, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Thing, The Dark Crystal, An Officer and a Gentleman
- 1983 – Michael Jackson's Thriller, Sans Soleil, L'Argent, Terms of Endearment, The King of Comedy, The Right Stuff, Risky Business, Nostalghia, Flashdance, Trading Places, A Christmas Story, Sudden Impact, Sleepaway Camp, Scarface, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, National Lampoon's Vacation; THX sound system is developed
- 1984 – This Is Spinal Tap, Amadeus, The Karate Kid, The Terminator, Once Upon a Time in America, Ghostbusters, Paris, Texas, Gremlins, Footloose, Police Academy, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Red Dawn, Beverly Hills Cop, The NeverEnding Story
- 1985 – Back to the Future, Come and See, Ran, Brazil, Shoah, Out of Africa, The Breakfast Club, The Color Purple, Cocoon, Zimniy Vecher v Ghagra, The Goonies, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, A Room with a View
- 1986 – Blue Velvet, Aliens, The Sacrifice, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Stand by Me, Hannah and Her Sisters, Platoon, Top Gun, Crocodile Dundee, Luxo Jr., An American Tail, Three Amigos, Labyrinth, The Fly, Short Circuit, Little Shop of Horrors
- 1987 – Fatal Attraction, Wings of Desire, The Dead, Dirty Dancing, The Princess Bride, Evil Dead II, Full Metal Jacket, The Last Emperor, Wall Street, Moonstruck, Hope and Glory, Raising Arizona, Sid & Nancy, Mannequin, Spaceballs, Predator, Good Morning, Vietnam, RoboCop, Innerspace, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, The Lost Boys
- 1988 – Rain Man, The Last Temptation of Christ, My Neighbor Totoro, Midnight Run, Dead Ringers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Die Hard, Beetlejuice, Akira, The Accused, Child's Play, Heathers, Big, The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
- 1989 – Do the Right Thing, Driving Miss Daisy, The Little Mermaid (starting off the Disney Renaissance), Crimes and Misdemeanors, Wallace and Gromit, The Abyss, Batman, A Fish Called Wanda, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, When Harry Met Sally...; first publication of Empire
- 1990 – Home Alone, Goodfellas, Ghost, Wild at Heart, Edward Scissorhands, Miller's Crossing, Dances with Wolves, House Party, Total Recall, Kindergarten Cop, Pretty Woman, Troll 2, Misery, Journey of Hope, Tremors, The Hunt for Red October, Cry-Baby, Joe Versus the Volcano, Mermaids, Postcards from the Edge, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Close-Up, Awakenings,
- 1991 – The Silence of the Lambs, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, A Brighter Summer Day, Thelma & Louise, The Addams Family, My Girl, Hot Shots!, Boyz n the Hood, Point Break, Only Yesterday
- 1992 – Unforgiven, Aladdin, Reservoir Dogs, The Player, Basic Instinct, The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Indochine, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Bodyguard, League of Their Own, Sister Act, Pure Country, Wayne's World
- 1993 – Schindler's List, The Piano, In the Name of the Father, Groundhog Day, Jurassic Park, Philadelphia, Three Colors trilogy, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hocus Pocus, Cliffhanger, The Firm, Sleepless in Seattle, Army of Darkness, Dazed and Confused, True Romance, Free Willy
- 1994 – Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, The Lion King, Legends of the Fall, Clerks, Interview with the Vampire, True Lies, Speed, Maverick, Léon: The Professional, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Four Weddings and a Funeral
- 1995 – Braveheart, Se7en, Toy Story, Heat, A Moment of Innocence, 12 Monkeys, The Usual Suspects, Apollo 13, Babe, Jumanji, Leaving Las Vegas, Ghost in the Shell, Sense and Sensibility, Rumble in the Bronx, Bad Boys, Clueless, Before trilogy; first DVDs released
- 1996 – Fargo, Breaking the Waves, Trainspotting, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Independence Day, Jerry Maguire, The English Patient, Flirting with Disaster, That Thing You Do!, Happy Gilmore, Scream, Space Jam, Fly Away Home, Mars Attacks!, Dragonheart, Mission: Impossible
- 1997 – Titanic, Men in Black, Boogie Nights, Taste of Cherry, Hana-bi, L.A. Confidential, Good Will Hunting, Life is Beautiful, Jackie Brown, The Fifth Element, Chasing Amy, Princess Mononoke, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Kundun, The Full Monty, Anastasia, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- 1998 – Saving Private Ryan, American History X, The Thin Red Line, Shakespeare in Love, The Big Lebowski, Rush Hour, Mulan, The Truman Show, Buffalo 66, Rushmore, The Mask of Zorro, Armageddon, Bulworth, Blade, You've Got Mail, The Wedding Singer, Gods and Monsters, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, There's Something About Mary, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- 1999 – American Beauty, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, Magnolia, The Blair Witch Project, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Eyes Wide Shut, The Iron Giant, All About My Mother, Stuart Little, Girl, Interrupted, American Pie, 10 Things I Hate About You, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Notting Hill, The Mummy, Shiri, Topsy-Turvy, Office Space, Galaxy Quest, The Green Mile, Being John Malkovich
- 2000 – In the Mood for Love, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Platform, Memento, Erin Brockovich, Cast Away, Gladiator, Remember the Titans, Chicken Run, Billy Elliot, Bring It On, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, American Psycho, Meet the Parents, Traffic, X-Men, High Fidelity, Eastrail 177 trilogy, Final Destination, Before Night Falls, Almost Famous, Requiem for a Dream, Best in Show, Quills, Love and Basketball, The Virgin Suicides, Chocolat, Miss Congeniality, Scary Movie, The Patriot, How the Grinch Stole Christmas; first digital cinema projection in Europe by Philippe Binant
- 2001 – Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, Harry Potter film series, A Beautiful Mind, Spirited Away, Shrek, Donnie Darko, The Fast and the Furious, Moulin Rouge!, Monster's Ball, Monsters, Inc., Legally Blonde, Zoolander, Training Day, Black Hawk Down, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Spy Kids, Super Troopers, Amélie, Bridget Jones's Diary, Ocean's Eleven
- 2002 – City of God, Talk to Her, Minority Report, Spider-Man, The Pianist, Chicago, Ice Age, Russian Ark, The Hours, The Quiet American, Lilo & Stitch, Gangs of New York, Bowling for Columbine, About a Boy, Frieda, In America, Panic Room, 28 Days Later, Punch-Drunk Love, The Ring, Signs, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Better Luck Tomorrow, Catch Me If You Can, The Bourne Identity, Adaptation, Bend It Like Beckham, 8 Mile
- 2003 – Oldboy, Kill Bill, Elephant, Monster, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, Love Actually, Lost in Translation, Johnny English, Big Fish, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Last Samurai, The Room, Cold Mountain, Elf, School of Rock
- 2004 – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Passion of the Christ, Million Dollar Baby, The Incredibles, Sideways, Hotel Rwanda, Downfall, Friday Night Lights, The Aviator, Spider-Man 2, Closer, Saw, Ray, Mean Girls, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State, The Notebook, Finding Neverland, Team America: World Police, Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, Hellboy, The Polar Express, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, National Treasure, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou; Anti-piracy campaign "Piracy. It's a crime", featuring the now iconic first line "You Wouldn't Steal a Car", first advertised.
- 2005 – Caché, The New World, Brokeback Mountain, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, A History of Violence, Pride & Prejudice, Walk the Line, Batman Begins, March of the Penguins, Munich, Serenity, Sin City, Good Night, and Good Luck, Crash, The 40 Year Old Virgin, King Kong (2005), Capote
- 2006 – Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed, Dreamgirls, The Lives of Others, The Prestige, The Queen, Happy Feet, Borat, Little Miss Sunshine, Night at the Museum, The Pursuit of Happyness, Inside Man, The History Boys, An Incovenient Truth, The Holiday, The Last King of Scotland, Snakes on a Plane, Babel, United 93; First Blu-rays released
- 2007 – 300, I Am Legend, Ratatouille, There Will Be Blood, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men, Atonement, Juno, The Simpsons Movie, Michael Clayton, Superbad, Enchanted, Alvin and the Chipmunks, American Gangster, Grindhouse, Once, Transformers, La Vie En Rose, Zodiac, Knocked Up, The Darjeeling Limited, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
- 2008 – The Dark Knight, The Marvel Cinematic Universe, WALL-E, Mamma Mia!, Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino, The Wrestler, Milk, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Frost/Nixon, Cloverfield, Son of Rambow, Changeling, Ip Man, Taken, Twilight, Marley & Me, Step Brothers, In Bruges, Bronson, Man on Wire, Revoultionary Road, The Reader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- 2009 – Inglourious Basterds, Avatar, Up, The Secret in Their Eyes, Mary and Max, District 9, The Princess and the Frog, Star Trek, The Hangover, Up in the Air, Coraline, In the Loop, Zombieland, Sherlock Holmes, Crazy Heart, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Michael Jackson's This Is It
- 2010 – Black Swan, Inception, The King's Speech, How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, The Social Network, Winter's Bone, 127 Hours, Alice in Wonderland, The Town, True Grit, Despicable Me, The Fighter, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Kick-Ass, The Kids Are All Right, Shutter Island, The Runaways, Machete, Easy A, Red, I Love You Phillip Morris, Blue Valentine
- 2011 – The Artist, Drive, The Intouchables, Hugo, A Separation, The Tree of Life, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Midnight in Paris, Bridesmaids, The Descendants, War Horse, Moneyball, Crazy, Stupid, Love, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Muppets, The Help, The Cabin in the Woods, Super 8, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Adventures of Tintin
- 2012 – Life of Pi, The Hobbit film trilogy, Argo, Lincoln, Django Unchained, Les Misérables, Prometheus, Ted, Silver Linings Playbook, Pitch Perfect, 21 Jump Street (film), Magic Mike, Moonrise Kingdom, Wreck-It Ralph, Looper, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, End of Watch, The Master, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Brave, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, The Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises
- 2013 – The Wolf of Wall Street, Frozen, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Rush, American Hustle, Filth, Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips, Her, Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Colour, Prisoners, The Conjuring, Inside Llewyn Davis, Frances Ha, Nebraska, Pacific Rim, World War Z, Philomena, This is the End, Blue Jasmine
- 2014 – Interstellar, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Lego Movie, Birdman, Whiplash, Paddington, American Sniper, Into the Woods, Big Hero 6, Selma, Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla, Gone Girl, Frank, Foxcatcher, Nightcrawler, X-Men: Days of Future Past, John Wick, Wild, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything
- 2015 – Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, The Hateful Eight, Inside Out, Spotlight, The Martian, Ex Machina, Bridge of Spies, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Big Short, Room, Shaun the Sheep Movie, The Peanuts Movie, Carol, Creed, Krampus, Furious 7, Wolf Warrior, Amy, The DUFF, Sicario, Straight Outta Compton
- 2016 – Zootopia, La La Land, Deadpool, Moana, Sing Street, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Fences, Your Name, Lion, The Jungle Book, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Handmaiden, Don't Breathe, I, Daniel Blake, Silence, Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water
- 2017 – The Shape of Water, Wonder Woman, Get Out, Coco, Dunkirk, Logan, It, The Disaster Artist, Paddington 2, Baby Driver, The Post, I, Tonya, Blade Runner 2049, The Death of Stalin, The Silent Child, The Big Sick, Wonder, Call Me by Your Name, A Silent Voice, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Ayla: The Daughter of War, In a Heartbeat, The Florida Project, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Darkest Hour, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, The Greatest Showman; The Harvey Weinstein scandal begins.
- 2018 – Bohemian Rhapsody, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, A Star Is Born, The Favourite, Capernaum, Roma, Ready Player One, Eighth Grade, Deadpool 2, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns, A Quiet Place, Hereditary, Crazy Rich Asians, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Sorry to Bother You, Stan & Ollie, BlacKkKlansman, Annihilation, If Beale Street Could Talk, First Man, First Reformed, Green Book, Free Solo, Shoplifters
- 2019 – Joker, Rocketman, 1917, Little Women, Ford v. Ferrari, The Irishman, The Farewell, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Pokémon Detective Pikachu, The Peanut Butter Falcon, Bombshell, Us, Ready or Not, The Lighthouse, Parasite, Alita: Battle Angel, Marriage Story, Knives Out, Dolemite Is My Name, Jojo Rabbit, Klaus, Honey Boy, Booksmart, Richard Jewell, Pavarotti, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- 2020 – Birds of Prey, Godzilla vs. Kong, Onward, Soul, Mulan, Wonder Woman 1984, Tenet, The Many Saints of Newark, Jungle Cruise, The One and Only Ivan, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
- 2021 – Avatar 2, Cruella, Mortal Kombat, The Suicide Squad, The Batman
- "World's first colour film footage viewed for first time". BBC News England. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- The Silent Cinema Reader edited by Lee Grieveson and Peter Kramer
- Movies of the 30s, edited by Jürgen Müller, Taschen
- The Magic of Méliès, documentary by Jacques Mény, special collector's edition DVD, Spain