Lists of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers
This is a list of lists by year of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers.
The following month the list was expanded to eight cities, with a separate list for each city. By the early 1940s, fourteen cities were included. This list of lists only cover the New York list before 1942.
A national list was created April 9, 1942, in The New York Times Book Review (Sundays) as a supplement to the regular paper's city lists (Monday edition). The national list ranked by weighting how many times the book appeared in each city list.
A few years later[specify], the city lists were eliminated leaving only the national rankings, which was compiled according to "reports from leading booksellers in 22 cities," a system which remains, although the specifics have changed.
The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers by year
(links are to lists of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of YYYY)
- List of The New York Times Non-Fiction Best Sellers
- Books in the United States
- Publishers Weekly lists of bestselling novels in the United States
- The New York Times. October 12, 1931. p. 19.
- Miller, Laura J. (2000). "The Best-Seller List as Marketing Tool and Historical Fiction". In Ezra Greenspan (ed.). Book History. Volume Three. Penn State University Press. pp. 286–304.
|This article includes a book-related list of lists.|