Lists of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers
This is a list of lists by year of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers.
The New York Times Best Seller list was first published without fanfare on 12 October 1931. It consisted of five fiction and four non-fiction for the New York City region only. The following month the list was expanded to eight cities, with a separate list for each city.
By the early 1940s, fourteen cities were included. A national list was created 9 April 1942, in The New York Times Book Review (Sundays) as a supplement to the regular paper's city lists (Monday edition). The national list ranked by weighting how many times the book appeared in each city list.
A few years later, the city lists were eliminated leaving only the national rankings, which was compiled according to "reports from leading booksellers in 22 cities," a system which remains, although the specifics have changed.
The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers by year
(links are to lists of The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of YYYY)
- List of The New York Times Non-Fiction Best Sellers
- Books in the United States
- Publishers Weekly lists of bestselling novels in the United States
- The New York Times. 12 October 1931. p. 19.
- Miller, Laura J. (2000). "The Best-Seller List as Marketing Tool and Historical Fiction". In Ezra Greenspan (editor) (ed.). Book History. Volume Three. Penn State University Press. pp. 286–304.CS1 maint: Extra text: editors list (link)