Lists of mammals by population
|The population of mammals|
This is a collection of lists of mammal species by estimated global population, divided by orders. Much of the data in these lists were created by the IUCN's Global Mammal Assessment Team, which consists of 1700 mammalogists from over 130 countries. They recognize 5488 species in the class.
These lists are not comprehensive, as not all mammals have had their numbers estimated. For example, a live specimen of the spade-toothed whale was first observed in December 2010, and the event only recognized as such in November 2012; no estimate yet exists for the global population. The accuracy of the quote numbers may only be an order of magnitude.
Lists by taxonomic order
- List of even-toed ungulates by population
- List of carnivorans by population
- List of cetaceans by population
- List of bats by population
- List of odd-toed ungulates by population
- List of primates by population
- IUCN (n.d.). "Initiatives:Mammals". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. IUCN. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- IUCN (n.d.). "Initiatives:Mammals:Acknowledgements". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. IUCN. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Thompson, Kirsten; C. Scott Baker; Anton van Helden; Selina Patel; Craig Miller; Rochelle Constantine (6 November 2012). "The world's rarest whale". Current Biology. 22 (21): R905–R906. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2012.08.055. Retrieved 7 November 2012.