Lithgow Correctional Centre
|Location||Marrangaroo, New South Wales|
|Security class||Maximum (male)|
|Managed by||Corrective Services NSW|
Lithgow Correctional Centre, an Australian maximum security prison for males, is located adjacent to the Great Western Highway at Marrangaroo, near Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia, 152 kilometres (94 mi) west of Sydney. The facility is operated by Corrective Services NSW, an agency of the Department of Attorney General and Justice, of the Government of New South Wales. The Centre accepts felons charged and convicted under New South Wales and/or Commonwealth legislation.
Following the 2008 discovery of a prison drug ring orchestrated from inside Lithgow Correctional Centre by Bassam Hamzy through use of a mobile phone, prison officials sought approval for the introduction of a trial of mobile phone jamming technology. The trial began on 24 September 2013, and has been extended to 1 November 2018.
In 2011, prison officials announced a trial ban of smoking in the Centre, impacting both inmates and officers. Nicotine patches were issued to inmates as a substitute. Prisoners were permitted to smoke in some designated outdoor areas, but were not permitted to smoke in their cells or inside jail facilities. The trial was due to commence in early 2012, for a period of six months.
- John Wayne Glover: serial killer (1932–2005)
- Andrew Kalajzich: a former millionaire hotel owner, jailed for 25 years for the 1986 murder of his wife
- Milton Orkopoulos: a disgraced former politician jailed in 2008 for 13 years and eight months for child sex and drugs offences
- Keith Schreiber: convicted of the stabbing murder of Jack van Krevel in his home at Albion Park
- Neddy Smith
- Gary Murphy - One of five men sentenced to life imprisonment for the gang rape and murder of Sydney nurse Anita Cobby
- Rodney Francis Cameron: sentenced to life imprisonment, never to be released, for the murder of four victims (and allegedly eight victims)
Public transport to the Centre is available from Lithgow railway station. Lithgow Buslines run buses along the Great Western Highway from Lithgow to Bathurst, some of which stop near Lithgow Correctional Centre. There are other special bus services that run directly to the Centre.
Parking is available for visitors, and signs direct vehicles to the Centre from the Great Western Highway. Visitors to Lithgow Correctional Centre require bookings to see inmates, which can only be made on weekdays. Strict restrictions and security checks apply to all visitors.
- "NSW's most violent prisons" (PDF). The Sydney Morning Herald. June 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Lawrence, Kara (4 December 2008). "Cops hit Middle Eastern drug gangs run by jailed baron". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Lawrence, Kara (5 December 2008). "The inside story of how the prison drug ring was broken". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Lawrence, Kara; Barrett, David (5 December 2008). "Killer to be charged over prison plot". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "NSW jail trials phone-jamming technology". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Fact Sheet: Mobile phone jamming trial at Lithgow Correctional Centre" (pdf). NSW Corrective Services. 20 August 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- Hills, Brenden (12 June 2011). "Prisoners and guards to be banned from smoking under a radical trial". The Sunday Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Morrir, Mark (25 January 2012). "Killer Kalajzich to be released from jail". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- McCarthy, Joanne (7 August 2010). "Orkopoulos staffer sues over sex MP". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Connolly, Ellen (10 February 2003). "I hated my father, I wanted him dead". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- Corrective Services NSW - Lithgow Official Website
- "Lithgow Correctional Centre: Socio–economic impact assessment". BBC Consulting Planners. Department of Corrective Services. October 1998.
- "Proposed Mobile Phone Jamming Trial at Lithgow Correctional Centre" (PDF). Fact Sheet. Corrective Services NSW. July 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
|This article about an Australian prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New South Wales is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|