Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Lietuvos mokslų akademija|
|Formation||16 January 1941|
The Lithuanian Academy of Sciences (Lietuvos mokslų akademija) or LAS, founded in 1941 as the Lithuanian SSR Academy of Sciences (Lithuanian: Lietuvos TSR Mokslų akademija), as an autonomous, state-subsidized establishment serving as a scientific advisory body to the government of Lithuanian SSR. Following the 1991 passage of the Law on Research and Higher Education of the Republic of Lithuania, it was reorganized.
The Academy represents the Republic of Lithuania in the following international organizations: ALLEA (the Federation of ALL European Academies), ICSU (the International Council for Science), EASAC (the European Academies Science Advisory Council), and IAP (the InterAcademy Panel). In addition to founding several scientific institutions and foundations, it issues publications and textbooks, sponsors symposia and conferences. It has established 15 memorial prizes and awards, encourages young scientists and students to engage in research by annually awarding 10 prizes to young scientists and 15 prizes to students. Since 2008 together with the Bank of Lithuania grants Vladas Jurgutis Award.
The Academy's headquarters are located in Vilnius.
Lithuanian Academy of Sciences consist of five departments.
- Humanities and social sciences department, led by Prof. Leonardas Sauka
- Chemical, physics and mathematics department, led by Prof. Valdemaras Razumas
- Biology, medicine, and geosciences department, led by Prof. Vytas Antanas Tamošiūnas
- Agriculture and foresters sciences department, led by Prof. Albinas Kusta
- Technical and engineering sciences department, led by Prof. Vytautas Ostaševičius
- Acta Medica Lituanica
- Baltica : an international yearbook of Baltic Sea geology, geomorphology and paleontology
- Filosofija. Sociologija
- Žemės ūkio mokslai