Little Arkansas River
|Little Arkansas River|
|Ne Shuta Shinka River|
The Little Arkansas River near Sedgwick, Kansas
|- location||Ellsworth County, Kansas|
|- elevation||1,759 ft (536 m)|
|- location||Wichita, Kansas|
|- elevation||1,283 ft (391 m)|
|- coordinates||Coordinates: |
|Length||123 mi (198 km)|
|Discharge||for USGS 07144200 at Valley Center, KS|
|- average||315 cu ft/s (9 m3/s)|
|- max||28,600 cu ft/s (810 m3/s)|
|- min||1.1 cu ft/s (0 m3/s)|
The Little Arkansas River (// ar-KAN-zəs) is a river in the central Great Plains of North America. A tributary of the Arkansas River, its entire 123-mile (198 km) length lies within the American state of Kansas.
The river originates in central Kansas in the Smoky Hills region of the Great Plains. Its source lies in extreme south-central Ellsworth County immediately north of Geneseo, Kansas. From there, the river flows generally south-southeast along the border between the Arkansas River Lowlands to the southwest and the McPherson Lowlands to the northeast. It joins the Arkansas River immediately northwest of downtown Wichita, Kansas.
Points of interest
- "Little Arkansas River". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1978-10-13. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Water-Data Report 2013 - 07144200 Little Arkansas River at Valley Center, KS" (PDF). U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map Archived 2012-04-05 at WebCite, accessed March 29, 2011
- "2003-2004 Official Transportation Map" (PDF). Kansas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "General Highway Map - Ellsworth County, Kansas". Kansas Department of Transportation. July 2011. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "City of Wichita [Map]" (PDF). Kansas Department of Transportation. June 2010. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
|This article related to a river in Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|