Little Bird (The Beach Boys song)
|Single by The Beach Boys|
|from the album Friends|
|Released||April 8, 1968|
|Recorded||February 29, 1968,
Brian Wilson's home studio
|Genre||Jazz fusion, psychedelic pop|
|Producer(s)||The Beach Boys|
|The Beach Boys singles chronology|
"Little Bird" is a song written by Dennis Wilson and Stephen Kalinich with uncredited contributions from Brian Wilson. It was first recorded by American rock band the Beach Boys and released on their 1968 album Friends. It was also placed as the B-side of the album's "Friends" single. The single peaked at number 47 in the US and number 25 in the UK.
Brian once said; "Dennis gave us 'Little Bird' which blew my mind because it was so full of spiritualness. He was a late bloomer as a music maker. He lived hard and rough but his music was as sensitive as anyone's."
The outro of "Little Bird" features a musical quotation of the unfinished 1966 composition "Child Is Father of the Man" composed by Brian Wilson for the Smile album. His contribution remains uncredited.
Matthew Greenwald of AllMusic called the song a "wonderful surprise" from Dennis: "[his] earthy ability to capture his love of the power of nature is the basis for this minor masterpiece, and along with talented collaborator Steve Kalinich, he was able to nail his emotions."
- The Beach Boys
- 2012 – Of Montreal
- 2013 – Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks performed the song live for the first time as a tribute to Dennis Wilson with Marks on lead vocals.
- 2015 - Norah Jones and Gingger Shankar at Brian Fest
- Leaf, David (1990). Friends / 20/20 (CD Liner). The Beach Boys. Capitol Records.
- Chidester, Brian (March 7, 2014). "Busy Doin' Somethin': Uncovering Brian Wilson's Lost Bedroom Tapes". Paste. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- Carlin, Peter Ames (2006). Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson. Rodale. ISBN 978-1-59486-320-2.
- Greenwalk, Matthew. "Little Bird review". AllMusic.