Little Black River (Saint John River tributary)
|Little Black River|
|Other name(s)||Named "Rivière Noire" in Quebec|
|Countries||Canada, United States|
|Main source||Saint-Athanase, Quebec, in Temiscouata RCM, Bas-Saint-Laurent
|River mouth||Allagash, Maine, Aroostook County, North Maine Woods, Maine
|Length||62.9 kilometres (39.1 mi)|
- Not to confuse with Big Black River (French: Grande Rivière Noire), another river in Maine and Quebec (46°49′08″N 70°04′05″W).
The Little Black River flows over 62.9 kilometres (39.1 mi) especially in forest areas.
Upper course of the river in Quebec (segment of 19.4 kilometres (12.1 mi) designated Black River)
From its source, the river flows on:
- 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) to the East, to the outlet of "Lac du Cinq" (Lake Five);
- 5.8 kilometres (3.6 mi) to the Southeast, to the bridge of the Moulin Théberge Lake;
- 10.1 kilometres (6.3 mi) to the Southeast, crossing the "Lac Noir" (Black Lake) which is surrounded by a marsh area, up to the border between Quebec (Canada) and Maine (United States).
Lower course of the river in Maine (segment of 43.5 kilometres (27.0 mi) designated Little Black River)
- 8.1 kilometres (5.0 mi) to the South, to the confluence of the West Branch Little Black River (Quebec–Maine) (from the West);
- 0.2 kilometres (0.12 mi) to the South, to the confluence of the Campbell Branch Little Black River (from the Southwest);
- 8.5 kilometres (5.3 mi) to the Southeast, until Rocky Brook (from the North);
- 6.0 kilometres (3.7 mi) to the East, passing South of Boat Landing Mountain until Hofey Brook (from the North);
- 1.7 kilometres (1.1 mi) Southward collecting the waters of Little Brook Hafey until Knowland Brook (from the Southwest);
- 8.2 kilometres (5.1 mi) to the Southeast, winding up Carrie Bogan Brook (from the Southwest);
- 10.8 kilometres (6.7 mi) to the Southeast, passing between two sets of high mountains (including the Johnson Mountain Brook Kelly Brook and Mountain), to the confluence of the river
- 1.3 kilometres (0.81 mi) downstream from the St. Clair Island (St Clair Island);
- 4.8 kilometres (3.0 mi) upstream of the confluence of the Allagash River (from the Southwest);
- 27.9 kilometres (17.3 mi) Southeast of the border between Quebec and Maine.
Media related to Category: Little Black River (Saint John River at Wikimedia Commons
- Saint-Athanase, Quebec, a municipality
- Allagash, Maine, a town
- Témiscouata Regional County Municipality, a RCM in Quebec
- Aroostook County, a county in Maine
- Saint John River (Bay of Fundy), a stream
- West Branch Little Black River (Quebec–Maine), a stream
- Campbell Branch Little Black River
- List of rivers of Maine
- List of rivers of Quebec
- Segments of river measured from the Atlas of Canada (posted on Internet), Ministry of Natural Resources Canada
- "Little Black River". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 30 September 1980. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- Maine Streamflow Data from the USGS
- Maine Watershed Data From Environmental Protection Agency