Little Downham shown within Cambridgeshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Situated in the east of Cambridgeshire, the village of Little Downham is located just 3 miles (5 km) north of the city of Ely. The Parish of Little Downham comprises Little Downham and Pymoor. It has an approximate population of 2660 with approximately 35 miles for footpaths around the parish. The population was measured at the 2011 Census as 2,589.
It was one of only two sites in Cambridgeshire to be covered by the Survey of English Dialects.
In a map from 1648 (see image), 'Downham' is shown at the north-west edge of the Isle of Ely, hence its historic name of 'Downham-in-the-Isle'.
Local Nature Reserve
Little Downham has the first dedicated Local Nature Reserve in East Cambridgeshire which is situated adjacent to the Bishop's walk. It consists of four sections of land, measuring a total of 17 acres.
Each year a village fete is staged in June and in the same month a Medieval Fair is held just outside the village. In September the local primary school organises a Scarecrow Fair, that sees the village lined with Scarecrows for the week building up to the fair. The annual Ely New Year's Eve 10k Race, organised by Ely Runners, both begins and ends in Little Downham. The 2011 race featured 700 runners and involved one circuit of the fen around Little Downham.
The village contains the grade II listed remains of the old Bishop's Palace formerly used by the Bishops of Ely.
- "Visit Ely" Website
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Little Downham". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Map of Little Downham". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Ely New Year's Eve 10k Race".
Media related to Little Downham at Wikimedia Commons
- Little Downham Scarecrow Week 2011
- Little Downham Medieval Fair 2011
- Little Downham Village Fete 2011
- Little Downham - Ely On-line
- Little Downham Parish Community Website
- CCAN web page
|This Cambridgeshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|