Little Forest (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Revised Romanization||Liteul Poleseuteu|
|Directed by||Yim Soon-rye|
|Produced by||Jenna Ku|
|Screenplay by||Hwang Seong-gu|
|Based on||Little Forest|
by Daisuke Igarashi
|Music by||Lee Jun-oh|
|Edited by||Kim Seon-min|
|Distributed by||Megabox Plus M|
|Box office||US$11.1 million|
The story of a young woman who returns to her childhood home, in a traditional Korean village, after leaving for the big city in pursuit of what turned out to be an elusive dream. When she gets home, her mother isn't there - but her mother's "Little Forest", the many ways in which a single mother successfully made a home for her much loved child, unfurl with a long succession of lovingly sketched details involving mostly food preparation.
The unfurling moments are lightly but lovingly shared with two childhood friends, one of whom also abandoned their elusive dream of success in the big city (Seoul) and the other who is still pursuing the small town equivalent of that elusive dream -- without ever leaving home.
- Kim Tae-ri as Hye-won
- Ryu Jun-yeol as Jae-ha
- Moon So-ri as Mom
- Jin Ki-joo as Eun-sook
- Park Won-sang as Mailman (special appearance)
- Jung Jun-won as Hoon-yi (special appearance)
The film was produced with a cost of US$1.4 million.
The film came in second place at the Korean box office on the opening day by attracting 131,337 audiences. During the first weekend since the film was released at 832 screens, Little Forest drew 372,394 moviegoers accounting for 22.3 percent of the weekend's ticket sales. This accumulated to a total of 686,000 ticket sales at the end of first five days.
By March 10, 2018, within 11 days since its premiere the film was watched by more than 1 million moviegoers, with US$7.5 million in takings.
Little Forest remained in the third place at the Korean box office after three weekends, attracting 127,456 moviegoers during the weekend and increasing the total ticket sales to 1.35 million at the end of three weeks.
The Korea Herald reviewed Little Forest as "a small film with no villain, no real tension, and no real conflict", stating that the director tries to "shows us that maybe letting go can give us exactly what we’ve wanted."
Awards and nominations
|54th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Kim Tae-ri||Nominated|||
|Best New Actress||Jin Ki-joo||Nominated|
|27th Buil Film Awards||Best Actress||Kim Tae-ri||Nominated|||
|Best New Actress||Jin Ki-joo||Nominated|
|55th Grand Bell Awards||Nominated|||
|2nd The Seoul Awards||Nominated|||
|38th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Top 11 Films||Little Forest||Won|||
|39th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Film||Nominated|||
|Best Director||Yim Soon-rye||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Kim Tae-ri||Nominated|
|Best Editing||Kim Sun-min||Nominated|
|Best Art Direction||Yoon Na-ra||Nominated|
|5th Korean Film Producers Association Awards||Best Director||Yim Soon-rye||Won|||
|18th Director's Cut Awards||Best Actress||Kim Tae-ri||Won|||
- "Cast Of "Little Forest" Celebrates Reaching Over 1 Million Moviegoers". Soompi.
- "Little Forest (2018)". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "'The Handmaiden' starlet to act in 'Little Forest'". Kpop Herald.
- "MOON So-ri Joins KIM Tae-ri in LITTLE FOREST". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "'Little Forest' starring Kim Tae-ri wraps up shooting". Kpop Herald.
- "'리틀 포레스트' 100만 돌파, 류준열X김태리X진기주 '떡케이크 인증샷'". SE Daily (in Korean).
- Kim Bo-ra. "[美친box] '궁합'·'리틀', 韓영화 나란히 1·2위..'블랙팬서' 3위". OSEN (in Korean).
- Shim Sun-ah (March 5, 2018). "Two Korean films dominate box office". Yonhap News Agency.
- Jin Min-ji (March 5, 2018). "After weeks of action, audiences flock to comedy". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "'리틀 포레스트' 개봉 11일 만에 100만 돌파… 장기 흥행 돌입". JoongAng Ilbo. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Shim Sun-ah (March 12, 2018). "Domestic thriller beats 'Tomb Raider' reboot at S. Korean box office". Yonhap News Agency.
- Jin Min-ji (March 13, 2018). "Thriller 'The Vanished' beats 'Tomb Raider' reboot". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Shim Sun-ah (March 19, 2018). "Domestic romantic drama leads box office in first weekend". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Jin Min-ji (March 20, 2018). "Domestic romantic drama leads box office in first weekend". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Shim Sun-ah (March 26, 2018). "'Pacific Rim Uprising' is new No. 1 at box office". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- Jin Min-ji (March 27, 2018). "'Pacific Rim Uprising' quietly lands atop box office". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- Yoon Min-sik (February 21, 2018). "[Herald Review] Sanctuary in the 'Little Forest'". The Korea Herald.
- "제54회 백상예술대상, TV·영화 각 부문별 수상 후보자 공개". JTBC (in Korean). April 6, 2018.
- "[23회 부산국제영화제] 부일영화상". Busan Daily (in Korean). 20 September 2018.
- "5관왕 '공작', '허스토리'와 함께 부산 품었다(종합) [27회 부일영화상]". MK Sports (in Korean). 5 October 2018.
- "제55회 대종상, 각 부문 후보 공개…'공작' 12개 최다부문 노미네이트". Sports Seoul (in Korean). September 21, 2018.
- "'제2회 더 서울어워즈' 10월27일 개최, 드라마-영화 각 부문별 후보공개". iMBC (in Korean). September 28, 2018.
- "[공식]이성민·한지민 '영평상' 남녀주연상…'1987' 작품상". Sports Chosun (in Korean). October 22, 2018.
- "청룡영화상 후보 발표, '1987' 최다·'공작'도 9개부문 후보". Newsen (in Korean). November 1, 2018.
- "주지훈·한지민, 한국영화제작가협회상 남녀주연상 영광". Newsen (in Korean). 11 December 2018.
- cite web|url=https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/12/exo-s-do-kim-tae-ri-and-more-win-awards-at-the-18th-director-s-cut-awards%7Ctitle=EXO's D.O., Kim Tae Ri, and more win awards at the '18th Director's Cut Awards!|date=14 December 2018|website=Allkpop}}