Little Freddie King
|Little Freddie King|
King at the French Quarter Festival, 2012
|Birth name||Fread Eugene Martin|
July 19, 1940 |
McComb, Mississippi, United States
|Genres||Electric blues, Texas blues|
|Years active||Mid 1950s–present|
King, a cousin of Lightnin' Hopkins, was born in McComb, Mississippi, and learned to play the guitar from his father. In 1954, at the age of 14, he moved to New Orleans. He performed in juke joints with his friends Babe Stovall, Slim Harpo, and Champion Jack Dupree, playing both acoustic and electric guitar.
He recorded the first electric blues album in New Orleans with Harmonica Williams in 1969. In 1976, King undertook a European tour with Bo Diddley and John Lee Hooker. His next recording opportunity came in 1996, twenty-seven years after his first, with the release of Swamp Boogie. King's Sing Sang Sung (2000) was recorded live at the Dream Palace in Faubourg Marigny.
King is a charter member of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and has played at the festival for 42 years. He is a member of the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame. He was selected three times as Blues Performer of the Year in New Orleans. He was honored with a Mississippi Blues Trail marker in McComb, Mississippi.
King's most recent album, Messin’ Around tha Living Room, was released in 2015.
- Harmonica Williams and Little Freddie King (1969), Ahura Mazda Records
- Swamp Boogie (1996), Orleans Records
- Sing Sang Sung (live album) (2000), Orleans Records
- FQF Live (2003), WWOZ (Library of Congress Recording)
- You Don't Know What I Know (2005), Fat Possum Records
- Messin' Around tha House (2008), Madewright Records
- Gotta Walk with Da King (2010), Madewright Records
- Jazzfest Live (2011), MunckMix, Inc.
- Back in Vinyl, LP (2011), APO Records
- Chasing tha Blues (2012), Madewright Records
- Messin’ Around tha Living Room (2015), Madewright Records
- Skelly, Richard. "Little Freddie King | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Little Freddie King: A King’s Life". Offbeat.com. 2008-06-01. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Blues from New Orleans". Little Freddie King. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Little Freddie King – Free listening, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Little Freddie King Music Maker Relief Foundation, Inc". Musicmaker.org. 1940-07-19. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Little Freddie King Blues Profile". Mnblues.com. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "The 12th Annual Independent Music Awards Winners Announced". Independent Music Awards. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "iTunes – Messin’ Around tha Living Room". iTunes. 2015-02-17. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Here Are 6 Must-See Music Films at Hot Docs". Exclaim!, April 19, 2016.
- "Little Freddie King | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Little Freddie King.|
- Official website
- The Gutbucket King, multimedia profile of King by Barry Yeoman, published in The New New South.
- Videos and photograph at NME.com
- Little Freddie King on Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about Little Freddie King in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- NAMM Oral History Interview March 19, 2015