Little Girl (Syndicate of Sound song)
|Single by Syndicate of Sound|
|from the album Little Girl|
|Recorded||9 January 1966|
|Label||Hush Records, Bell Records|
|Syndicate of Sound singles chronology|
"Little Girl" is a popular song recorded by the California group the Syndicate of Sound, and written by Don Baskin and Bob Gonzalez of the band. It reached the US national pop charts in June 1966, peaking at #5 on Cash Box and #8 on Billboard.
After winning a Bay Area "Battle of the Bands" contest in 1965, the Syndicate of Sound recorded a single "Prepare For Love", which was ultimately unsuccessful. Don Baskin and Bob Gonzales then wrote "Little Girl", which was recorded for Hush Records and released in early 1966. After becoming a regional hit around the San Jose California area, Bell Records picked it up for national distribution, where it charted as high as #8 on Billboard. Bell Records then offered them a contract for an album. Prior to going into the studio to record the album, Larry Ray was replaced on lead guitar by Jim Sawyers. The album was recorded in three weeks and the band then embarked on a nationwide tour supporting among others, Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Young Rascals, and The Yardbirds.
R.E.M. played the song in their very early shows.
- Don Baskin – vocals, guitar
- Bob Gonzalez – bass guitar
- John Sharkey – keyboards
- Larry Ray – lead guitar
- John Duckworth – drums
- Harry Sumrall (May 1994). Pioneers of Rock and Roll: 100 Artists Who Changed the Face of Rock. Billboard Books. p. 51. ISBN 9780823076284.
- Fontenot, Robert. "Garage Rock's 10 Biggest Hits of All Time". About.com. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0, p. 11
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 42. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Steffen Hung. "Divinyls - Hey Little Boy". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|