|Song by The Beach Boys from the album All Summer Long|
|Released||July 13, 1964|
|Recorded||April 2 / 10, 1964, United Western Recorders, Hollywood|
|Genre||Pop rock, hot rod rock|
|Writer||Brian Wilson/Mike Love|
|All Summer Long track listing|
"Little Honda" is a song written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love for the American rock band the Beach Boys. It was released on their 1964 album All Summer Long, and featured on their EP, Four by The Beach Boys. The song pays tribute to the small Honda motorcycle and its ease of operation, specifically the Honda 50.
Immediately following its appearance on All Summer Long, the song was covered by The Hondells, whose recording produced by Gary Usher peaked at #9 on the U.S. Billboard 100. Capitol Records then later released it as a single for the Beach Boys, and their version peaked at #65 on the U.S. Billboard 100.
Regarding the song's "fuzzy" sound, Carl Wilson recalls:
[Brian] does exactly what he wants to do. I remember [sits back and laughs] — this is so funny — when we did "Little Honda," Brian wanted me to get this real distorted guitar sound, real fuzzy. "This guitar sounds like shit," I said. "Brian, I hate this." And he goes, "Would you fucking do it? Just do it." When I heard it, I felt like an asshole. It sounded really hot. That was before fuzz became a big deal.
Per Craig Slowinski.
- The Beach Boys
- Al Jardine – vocals, electric rhythm guitars, electric bass guitar
- Brian Wilson – backing vocals, upright or grand piano, Hammond B3 organ
- Carl Wilson – backing vocals, electric lead guitars, electric rhythm guitars
- Dennis Wilson – opening voice, backing vocals, drums
- Mike Love – lead vocal
- Additional musicians and production staff
- Brian Wilson – arranger, producer
- Chuck Britz – engineer
- Ray Pohlman – 6-string electric bass guitars
- 1964 – The Hondells, single "Little Honda"
- 1965 – Jan & Dean, Command Performance
- 1996 – The Queers, Bubblegum Dreams 7", Lookout!
- 1997 – Yo La Tengo, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
- 2003 – Expulsados, Altoparlantes
- 2003 – Travoltas, Party!
- 2003 – The Demonics, Demons on Wheels
- 2011 – Cosmonauts, New Psychic Denim EP
- Guarisco, Donald A. "Song review". Allmusic.
- Frank, Aaron (2003). Honda Motorcycles. MotorBooks International. ISBN 978-0-7603-1077-9. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Song Database.com:Billboard Hot 100 Chart History "Little Honda" by The Beach Boys, November 14, 1964.
- Felton, David (1976). "The Healing of Brother Brian". Rolling Stone.
- Boyd, Alan; Linette, Mark; Slowinski, Craig (2014). Keep an Eye on Summer 1964 (Digital Liner). The Beach Boys. Capitol Records. (Mirror)