Little River (Miami)
Little River was established in the late 1800s and was incorporated into the city of Miami in 1925. The neighborhood is bordered to the north by El Portal, to the south by Little Haiti (Lemon City), to the east by the Palm Grove Historic District, and to the west by West Little River.
Places of interest
- Cathedral of St. Mary Originally formed in 1929 under the title "Little River Mission Club", the historic church is the only cathedral in Miami. St. Mary' serves as the "mother church" for the Archdiocese of Miami, led by Archbishop Thomas Wenski. A reflection of the multi-cultural nature of Little River, the church holds Mass in English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole) every Sunday, led by Father Christopher Marino.
- B&M Market A bodega selling home cooked West Indian cuisine. B&M Market has been featured on Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown".
- McArthur Dairy A dairy processing and distribution plant founded in 1929 by James Neville McArthur.
- Little River Studios A popular photography and film production studio featuring 10,000 sq. ft of studios on an acre of open land.
- Little River Cooperative (formerly Little River Market Garden, est. 2010), is made up of two small farms and a plant nursery. LRC produces 40 varieties of annual vegetables and herbs as well as year round tropical crops like sugarcane, bananas, key limes and edible flowers. The farm operates a CSA and installs/maintains edible gardens for schools, restaurants, and homes. Although not yet certified, LRC uses only organic and sustainable practices.
- Earth N Us Farm Founded in 1977 by Ray Chasser, is a 2-acre "urban eco-village", combining a farm, community-based residences and activities, and vegetarian culinary offerings. Short-term stays are available at ENUF via Air BnB.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Little River (Miami).|
- Gearhart, Jr., Ernest. Tequesta. HistoryMiami: Historical Association of Southern Florida. pp. 55–57.
- "Historical Site Title". www.historicpreservationmiami.com. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "History | The Cathedral of St Mary". www.stmarymiami.org. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Mass Schedule | The Cathedral of St Mary". www.stmarymiami.org. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Anthony Bourdain, Iggy and Miami: A long-standing dream - CNN.com". CNN. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "From 1929 to 2015 and beyond, McArthur Dairy's got milk". miamiherald. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "About Us | Little River Studios". littleriverstudios.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Gardens | Little River Cooperative". littlerivercooperative.com. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "The Farm | Little River Cooperative". littlerivercooperative.com. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "The Earth 'n Us Won Best Homemade Honey in Miami New Times' 2000 Best Of Issue". Miami New Times. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Cottage Treehouse on Unique Farm - Treehouses for Rent in Miami". Airbnb. Retrieved 2015-12-25.