Little River railway station
Northbound view in January 2009
|Location||Edgars Road, Little River|
|Distance||47.56 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 January 1857|
Little River railway station is located on the Port Fairy line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the town of Little River opening on 1 January 1857. It is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The Western standard gauge line passes behind Platform 1.
When the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company originally constructed the line, it proposed that Little River station be built on the northern side of the river. However the company had trouble negotiating with the relevant land owner, so the first station was located on the south side of the river. The former platform mound of that station was finally removed in 1994, when the Western standard gauge line was being constructed.
The buildings and adjoining goods shed of the current station, on the north side of the river, are some of the earliest station buildings in Victoria. They are constructed of bluestone, to an original design by Frederick Kawerau for the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Co., and were completed by the Victorian Railways in 1864. Features of note include the basement holding cells and the Victorian Railways plaques on the station gables.
In 2010 the goods shed had started to crumble. Infrastructure owner VicTrack conducted an inspection of the shed which revealed its doors and windows had been forced open, and VicTrack, in liaison with the lessee V/Line, undertook work to ensure the shed was secured as quickly as possible from further damage.
Platforms & services
- Little River Vicsig
- Little River Station Rail Geelong
- Little River Railway Station & Goods Yard Heritage Victoria
- Willson, Joanne; Bennett, Kirstie, (draftsperson); Snell and Kawerau (architect) (1985), Railway Station & Goods Shed, Little River, retrieved 23 March 2014
- Railway Station & Goods Shed, Little River Wyndham History
- Cameron Tait (2010-07-21). "Heritage is crumbling in Little River". Wyndham Weekly. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Geelong - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria