Little White Lies (magazine)
||This article has an unclear citation style. (February 2012)|
Little White Lies is an internationally distributed movie magazine. It has been described as one of the "magazines at the vanguard of the independent publishing movement". It is published by London-based media company TCOLondon, who also publish the DIY culture magazine Huck.
History and content
Little White Lies rose out of the ashes of Adrenalin, an adventure sports and lifestyle magazine. When Adrenalin's publisher went bankrupt, a group of friends working there decided to turn designer Danny Miller's student degree project "Little White Lies: Issue Zero" into a full-fledged magazine.
The design of each issue is inspired by its feature film, often represented on the cover by an illustration of its lead actor. The cover film also influences interior aspects, such as editorial icons, chapter headings and custom typefaces. However, the overall template of the magazine remains the same. It was called "the best-designed film magazine on the shelf" in The Guardian. Its content is split into three acts: the lead review, a series of feature articles inspired by the cover film, and the reviews section, which also includes interviews with directors and stars of upcoming movies. The magazine uses a three part ranking system. The categories ("'Anticipation", "Enjoyment", and "In Retrospect") are marked out of five and accompanied by explanatory text.
The first Little White Lies book, What I Love About Movies, was due to be published by Faber and Faber in November 2014. The book is a collection of responses from directors such as Quentin Tarantino and Francis Ford Coppola and actors including Ryan Gosling, Kristen Stewart and Helen Mirren to the magazine's signature question: What do you love about movies?
- "Graphic Design: New Human After All book is a treasure trove of mag design insights". itsnicethat.com. June 13, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 1988. Check date values in:
- "Channels". tcolondon.com. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "8.1 / Massive black truth / Danny Miller". ohgoodnessgreatness.blogspot.co.uk. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Little White Lies Weekender, Cinema Palestino: film festival previews". The Guardian. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Manhire, Toby (20 July 2005). "Why the British film industry is constitutionally flawed". The Guardian.
- Farrington, Joshua (11 October 2013). "Faber snap up film, fiction and music". The Bookseller. Retrieved 16 May 2014.