Littleworth railway station
Remaining buildings to the southwest of the level crossing
|Place||Deeping St Nicholas|
|Area||South Holland, Lincolnshire|
|Original company||East Lincolnshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Northern Railway|
|11 September 1961||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Some of the station buildings and goods shed are still standing and are used as commercial premises.
The line is still open and is used by passenger services between Peterborough, Spalding and Lincoln Central
The line was built in 1848. The station was closed in 1961 but the line through the station remained open for passenger trains until 5 October 1970 and re-opened on 7 June 1971 for Peterborough-Spalding services. The intermediate stations, including Littleworth, were not re-opened.
Much of the goods traffic was agricultural produce, including potatoes, From the Dennis family farms. A Narrow gauge railway was used to bring potatoes in from the fields to a depot across the road from the goods shed. The Narrow gauge line crossed the road at Littleworth, and portions could still be seen in the 1960s. The same family owned the Nocton potato railway, much of whose equipment was re-used for the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway. The line at Littleworth was the same gauge. A film from the 1930s in the Huntley Film Archive shows an internal combustion locomotive at work.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Spalding||Great Northern Railway
Lincolnshire Loop Line
|St James Deeping|
- Historic England. "East Lincolnshire Railway (1365390)". PastScape. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- Historic England. "Littleworth Station (507038)". PastScape. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- Squire, Stuart E. (1987). The Lincolnshire Potato Railways. Oxford: Oakwood Press. ISBN 0-85361-352-4. Locomotion papers; no. 163.
- "Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway". Retrieved 17 August 2009.
- "Film: 11911". Huntley Film Archives. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Majority in favour of rail station plan". Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "Village 'halt' station takes step forward". Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- Detailed account on Disused Stations web site
- Spalding and Peterborough transport forum Littleworth campaign pages
- Littleworth station on navigable 1946 O. S. map
- Huntley Film Archive