This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Liu Mingkang (Chinese: 刘明康) (born August 28, 1946 in Fuzhou, Fujian) graduated from the University of London in 1987. In 1988 he received an MBA from the Cass Business School. He served as chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission from its creation in 2003 until he reached the retirement age of 65. During his tenure he was responsible for putting in place an effective regulatory structure which helped the Chinese banking system to weather the global financial crisis and to emerge relatively healthy and well capitalized.
Liu told the Boao Forum for Asia in 2012 that liberalization of financial markets is "part of a package" in the latest Five-Year Plan for promoting domestic-driven growth and rebalancing exports and imports. The liberalization "is not a piecemeal approach, but part of a series of building blocks, he said", according to one report.
- 2011–present BCT Distinguished Research Fellow of the Institute of Global Economics and Finance, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Current, the first distinguished fellow of the Fung Global Institute, Hong Kong
- 2007— Member, 17th CPC, Central Committee
- Current member, China National Energy Commission
- Current Vice Chairman of the Committee for Economic Affairs of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference
- 2003—2011 Chairman, China Banking Regulatory Commission
- 2002—2007 Alternate Member, 16th CPC, Central Committee
- 2000—2003 Chairman of Bank of China
- 1999–2000 Chairman of China Everbright Group
- 1998—1999 Deputy Governor, People's Bank of China, vice-chairman of Monetary Policy Department
- 1994–1998 Deputy Governor China Development Bank
- 1993–1994 Deputy Governor and Secretary-General of Fujian Provincial People's Government
- 1988–1993 Deputy Governor (later Governor) of Bank of China Fujian Province branch
- Marsh, David, "China's financial markets awaken: West take note", MarketWatch, April 9, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "Professor Liu Mingkang - BCT Distinguished Research Fellow", bio, The Institute of Global Economics and Finance, The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
- "Liu Mingkang: Distinguished Fellow", bio, FGI web page. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "China names new financial regulators | Financial Times". FT.com. 2011-10-30.