Live! (Bob Marley & the Wailers album)
|Live album by|
|Released||5 December 1975|
|Recorded||18 July 1975|
|Venue||Lyceum Theatre, London|
|Producer||Bob Marley and the Wailers, Steve Smith, Chris Blackwell|
|Bob Marley and the Wailers chronology|
The album was recorded 18 July 1975 at the Lyceum Theatre, London, during the second of the band's two concerts after Chris Blackwell had noted the audience's reaction during the first concert the day before on the 16th. The performance was recorded using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio.
The album was released on 5 December 1975 by Island Records as a vinyl LP. In 2001 it was released on CD. In 2016 a three disc release called the "Live! Deluxe Edition", became available in vinyl and CD formats, with recordings of both the 17 July and 18 July performances.
|Christgau's Record Guide||A–|
Reviewing Live! in Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies, Robert Christgau wrote, "The rushed tempos take their toll in aura: 'Trenchtown Rock' can be far more precise, painful, and ecstatic; like most live albums this relies on obvious material. But the material is also choice, unlike most live albums it's graced by distinct sound and economical arrangements, and the tempos force both singer and the band into moments of wild, unexpected intensity. I used to think Natty Dread's 'No Woman, No Cry' was definitive."
|1.||"Trenchtown Rock"||Bob Marley||Natty Dread||4:23|
|2.||"Burnin' and Lootin'"||Bob Marley||Burnin'||5:11|
|3.||"Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)"||Leon Cogill, Carlton Barrett||Natty Dread||4:36|
|4.||"Lively Up Yourself"||Bob Marley||Natty Dread||4:33|
|5.||"No Woman, No Cry"||Vincent Ford||Natty Dread||7:07|
|6.||"I Shot the Sheriff"||Bob Marley||Burnin'||5:18|
|7.||"Get Up, Stand Up"||Bob Marley, Peter Tosh||Burnin'||6:28|
|The Definitive Remastered edition (2001)|
|8.||"Kinky Reggae" (bonus track)||Bob Marley||B-side of "No Woman, No Cry"||7:35|
- Bob Marley and the Wailers
- Bob Marley – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Carlton Barrett – drums
- Aston "Family Man" Barrett – bass
- Tyrone Downie – keyboards
- Al Anderson – lead guitar
- Alvin "Seeco" Patterson – percussion
- the "I Threes": (Rita Marley, Judy Mowatt, Marcia Griffiths) – backing vocals Note: Marcia Griffiths missed this tour because of pregnancy.
- Recorded at the Lyceum, London, 18 July 1975
- Live sound mixing: Dave Harper
- Live Monitor Engineer: CHIP CHASE (Eric Chipchase)
- Live recording by Rolling Stones Mobile
- Recording engineer: Steve Smith
- Mixed at: Basing Street Studios
- Mixing engineer: Phill Brown
- Many thanks to Don Taylor and Dave Harper for making everything happen.
- Bob Marley and the Wailers - produced the music
- Steve Smith & Chris Blackwell - produced the record
- Reissue supervised by Bill Levenson and Maxine Stowe with special thanks to the Marley Family and Chris Blackwell.
- Mastered from the original two track analog master tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, 2001.
- Tape research by Jane Hitchin, David Lascelles, and Zoe Roberts at Universal Tape Library, London.
- LIVE! (Island ILPS 9376) was originally released 5 December 1975.
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||25,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||25,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- David Vlado Moskowitz (2007). The Words and Music of Bob Marley. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 61.
- David Sinclair. "Bob Marley & The Wailers – Live!". udiscovermusic.com.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: M". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved 4 March 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- "Austrian album certifications – Bob Marley And the Wailers – Live" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "French album certifications – Bob Marley And the Wailers – Live !" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Bob Marley & the Wailers; 'Live')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Dutch album certifications – Bob Marley & the Wailers – Live" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Retrieved 4 June 2019. Enter Live in the "Artiest of titel" box.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Bob Marley; 'Live')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "British album certifications – Bob Marley And the Wailers – Live". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 4 June 2019. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Live in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Bob Marley & the Wailers – Live!". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 4 June 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.