Live! (Fela Kuti album)
|Live album by|
|Released||August 30, 1971 (LP)|
June 13, 2001 (CD)
Barclay/Universal Records (CD)
|Fela Ransome-Kuti and The Africa '70 with Ginger Baker chronology|
Live! is an album recorded in 1971 by Fela Kuti's band Africa '70, with the addition of former Cream drummer Ginger Baker on two songs. It was released in 1971 by EMI in Africa and Europe and by Capitol/EMI in the United States and Canada. It was reissued on CD by Celluloid in 1987 and was reissued on CD in remastered form by Barclay with a bonus track from 1978.
Baker travelled with Kuti into Africa in a Land Rover to learn about the continent's rhythms, as documented in Tony Palmer's film Ginger Baker in Africa (1971). The bonus track on the Barclay CD reissue features a 16-minute drum duet between Baker and Africa '70's drummer Tony Allen recorded at the 1978 Berlin Jazz Festival. The album is on Rolling Stone's list of the 50 greatest live albums of all time. The album is also included in Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
All songs by Fela Ransome-Kuti, except where noted.
- "Let's Start" - 8:06
- "Black Man's Cry" - 12:12
- "Ye Ye De Smell" - 13:55
- "Egbe Mi O (Carry Me I Want to Die)" - 12:37
- "Ginger Baker and Tony Allen Drum Solo" - live 1978 (Fela Kuti, Ginger Baker, Tony Allen) - 16:21
- Fela Kuti: Hammond organ, percussion, vocals.
- Ginger Baker: Drums, percussion, African drums, congas, vocals.
- Tunde Williams: Trumpet.
- Eddie Faychum: Trumpet.
- Igo Chiko: Tenor saxophone.
- Lekan Animashaun: Baritone saxophone.
- Peter Animashaun: Guitars.
- Maurice Ekpo: Double bass, electric bass guitar.
- Tony Allen: Drums, percussion.
- Henry Koffi: Percussion.
- Friday Jumbo: Percussion.
- Akwesi Korranting: Percussion.
- Tony Abayomi: Percussion.
- Isaac Olaleye: Percussion.
- Thompson, Dave (December 11, 2001). Funk. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9780879306298 – via Google Books.
- Thom Jurek, Richie Unterbeger. Live! at AllMusic
- "50 Greatest Live Albums of All Time". April 29, 2015.
- Robert Dimery; Michael Lydon (23 March 2010). 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition. Universe. ISBN 978-0-7893-2074-2.
- "Ginger Baker, Cream Drummer And Force Of Nature, Dies At 80". NPR.org.
|This 1970s rock album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|