Live Scenes from New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Live Scenes from New York|
|Live album by Dream Theater|
|Released||September 11, 2001|
|Recorded||August 30, 2000 - Roseland Ballroom, New York|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
Original album artwork
Live Scenes from New York is a 3 disc live album by progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, recorded on August 30, 2000, at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City. Live Scenes from New York is the audio counterpart to the Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York DVD, released in 2001. Two videos of the concert, not released with the DVD, were included in the 3-CD pack as a bonus: Jordan Rudess Solo and Another Day. This album marks Dream Theater's first live release with current keyboardist Jordan Rudess.
Coincidentally, it was originally released on September 11, 2001, but when it was noticed that the logo on the cover artwork depicted the skyline of New York, including the twin towers of the World Trade Center, in flames, it was recalled and re-released a short time later with the Majesty symbol instead. Some copies with the original artwork still exist, and are now a rare collectors item. The logo was based on a previous album cover, that had depicted a heart in flames. Since the concert was recorded in the Big Apple, the logo was changed to a flaming apple with New York City on it.
Drummer Mike Portnoy collapsed following the conclusion of the show. The official statement on his FAQ reads: I collapsed due to over-exhaustion, dehydration, stress, too little food and nutrition, too many Red Bulls, etc. It took me several hours of throwing up, being wrapped in blankets and laying down before I was carried out of the venue hours after the show.
All music composed by Dream Theater except where noted.
|1.||"Regression" (music: Petrucci)||John Petrucci||2:46|
|3.||"Strange Déjà Vu"||Mike Portnoy||5:02|
|4.||"Through My Words" (music: Petrucci)||Petrucci||1:42|
|5.||"Fatal Tragedy"||John Myung||6:21|
|6.||"Beyond This Life"||Petrucci||11:16|
|7.||"John & Theresa Solo Spot"||(instrumental)||3:17|
|8.||"Through Her Eyes"||Petrucci||6:17|
|10.||"The Dance of Eternity"||(instrumental)||6:24|
|1.||"One Last Time"||James LaBrie||4:11|
|2.||"The Spirit Carries On"||Petrucci||7:40|
|4.||"Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper"||Petrucci||10:36|
|5.||"The Mirror" (contains an excerpt from "Lie")||Portnoy||8:15|
|6.||"Just Let Me Breathe"||Portnoy||4:02|
|7.||"Acid Rain" (music: Liquid Tension Experiment)||(instrumental)||2:34|
|8.||"Caught In A New Millennium" (mashup of "Caught in a Web" and "New Millennium", contains elements of "Paradigm Shift" by Liquid Tension Experiment)||LaBrie, Petrucci, Portnoy||6:21|
|10.||"Jordan Rudess Keyboard Solo (contains elements of "Universal Mind" by Liquid Tension Experiment)" (music: Jordan Rudess)||(instrumental)||6:40|
|3.||"The Silent Man" (music: Petrucci)||Petrucci||5:09|
|4.||"Learning to Live"||Myung||14:02|
|5.||"A Change of Seasons"||Portnoy||24:35|
- James LaBrie – vocals and percussion
- John Myung – bass guitars
- John Petrucci – guitars and backing vocals
- Mike Portnoy – drums and backing vocals
- Jordan Rudess – keyboards
- Theresa Thomason - Guest Vocals on "Through Her Eyes" and "The Spirit Carries On"
- Gospel Choir - on "The Spirit Carries On"
- Jo Marno - Choir Coordinator
- Jay Beckenstein - Soprano Sax on "Another Day"
- Kent Broadhurst - The Hypnotherapist
- Live Scenes from New York - #120
Billboard Top Internet Albums:
- Live Scenes from New York - #7
- "Dream Theater". Cavemanproductions.com. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Taylor, Robert (2011). "Live Metropolis, Pt. 2 - Dream Theater | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Faq: Dream Theater - Scenes From New York/Live Scenes From New York". mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "FAQ: What’s this I hear about Mike being really sick after the Roseland (DVD) show? What happened?". MikePortnoy.com. Retrieved 2008-01-31.