Live at Pep's
|Live at Pep's|
|Live album by|
|Released||1964, Album 1993 CD|
|Recorded||June 29, 1964|
|Genre||Jazz, Hard bop|
|Length||60:38 (first CD volume)|
|Label||Impulse!, A(S) 69 (original LP release)|
|Yusef Lateef chronology|
Live at Pep's is a 1964 album by the American Jazz tenor saxophonist and flautist Yusef Lateef. Other participating musicians in this album were bassist Ernie Farrow, pianist Mike Nock, drummer James Black and trumpeter Richard Williams. This live album, recorded at Pep's Lounge in Philadelphia, PA, was praised by many jazz critiques and it received five stars and it was also AMG's Album Pick by Allmusic.
More of Lateef's performances at Pep's from the end of June 1964 were issued on Club Date (ABC-Impulse! ASD 9310) in 1976 and later as an expanded 2-LP set titled The Live Session (IA-9353/2). The recordings were repackaged again for CD as two volumes in 1993 and 1999 under the original title of Live at Pep's.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
Ron Wynn, an Allmusic jazz writer, said in his review of the Live at Pep's:
- "This mid-'60s concert was one of Lateef's finest, as it perfectly displayed his multiple influences and interests."
- "Lateef played meaty tenor sax solos and entrancing flute and bamboo flute offerings, and also had impressive stints on oboe, shenai, and argol. This was a pivotal date in his career, and those unaware of it will get a treat with this disc."
All songs by Yusef Lateef unless otherwise noted.
|3.||"Twelve Tone Blues (Leonard Feather)"||4:50|
|4.||"Oscarlypso (Oscar Pettiford)"||7:44|
|5.||"Gee Sam Gee"||6:37|
|6.||"Rogi (Richard Williams)"||6:43|
|7.||"See See Rider (Ma Rainey)"||5:21|
|8.||"The Magnolia Triangle (James Black)"||5:14|
|10.||"Slippin' and Slidin'"||3:25|
- This is the sequence for Volume 1. Tracks 4-6 were originally issued as part of Club Date (ASD 9310) and were not on the original album.
|5.||"I Remember Clifford (Benny Golson)"||6:12|
|6.||"Listen To The Wind"||4:44|
|8.||"Delilah (Victor Young)"||10:15|
|9.||"The Magnolia Triangle - Alternative Version (James Black)"||5:17|
- This is the sequence for the Volume 2. Tracks 1-3 were originally issued as part of Club Date (ASD 9310). Tracks 4-9 were originally issued as part of The Live Session (IA-9353/2).
- Yusef Lateef - tenor saxophone, flute, oboe, bamboo flute, shehnai, argol
- Richard Williams - trumpet
- Mike Nock - piano
- Ernie Farrow - bass
- James N. Black - drums
- "Live at Pep's". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Wynn, Ron. Live at Pep's at AllMusic
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 867. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ron Wynn Review of Live at Pep's". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-05. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)