Live at Ronnie Scott's (Nina Simone album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Live at Ronnie Scott's|
|Live album by Nina Simone|
|Recorded||London, November 17, 1984, live at Ronnie Scott's|
|Genre||Vocal, soul, jazz, folk|
|Nina Simone chronology|
Live at Ronnie Scott's is an album by singer/pianist/songwriter Nina Simone (1933-2003). It is a live recording of a concert she gave at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in 1984, a London venue where she performed a few times in her later life.
Information about songs on this album
- "Fodder In Her Wings" and "I Sing Just To Know That I'm Alive", Nina first recorded these self-written songs on Fodder On My Wings (1982). Both are very personal to her, talking about Nina's estrangement from people and closing a bad chapter and beginning a new one.
- "Be My Husband", written by her ex-husband and ex-manager Andrew Stroud, first featured on Pastel Blues (1965). Later covered by Jeff Buckley as "Be Your Husband".
- "I Loves You Porgy", her first hit-single from her debut Little Girl Blue (1958).
- "Mississippi Goddam", Nina wrote this civil rights song after four black girls died during a church bombing, first featured on Nina Simone In Concert (1964).
- "Moon over Alabama", together with "Mississippi Goddam". Nina sings this song to show that the two songs have a similar melody. She, therefore, switches between them during the performance.
- "My Baby Just Cares For Me", Nina introduces this last song with:
I think this is what you've all been waiting for...
All tracks composed by Nina Simone; except where indicated
- "God, God God" (Paramahansa Yogananda, Simone)
- "If You Knew"
- "Mr. Smith" (Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht)
- "Fodder in Her Wings"
- "Be My Husband" (Simone, Andrew Stroud)
- "I Loves You Porgy" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, DuBose Heyward)
- "The Other Woman" (Simone, Jessie Mae Robinson)
- "Mississippi Goddam"
- "Moon Over Alabama" (Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht)
- "For a While" (Bob Gaudio, Jake Holmes)
- "See Line Woman" (George Houston Bass)
- "I Sing Just to Know That I'm Alive"
- "My Baby Just Cares for Me" (Gus Kahn, Walter Donaldson)
- Nina Simone - vocals, piano
- Paul Robinson - drums