Live at Tokyo Dome
|Live at Tokyo Dome|
|Video by Babymetal|
|Released||April 12, 2017|
|Recorded||September 19, 2016 (Red Night)|
September 20, 2016 (Black Night)
|Length||87:08 (Red Night)|
83:48 (Black Night)
|Babymetal video chronology|
Live at Tokyo Dome (stylized as LIVE AT TOKYO DOME)[a] is the sixth video album by Japanese heavy metal band Babymetal. The album contains footage from the Babymetal World Tour 2016: Legend Metal Resistance and was released on April 12, 2017 by BMD Fox Records and Toy's Factory. The album features the live performances at Tokyo Dome on September 19 and September 20, 2016, which concluded the band's world tour.
On December 13, 2015, the band announced a new album, as well as a world tour to begin at Wembley Arena and conclude at Tokyo Dome. Su-metal and Yuimetal expressed the idea of performing at the venue as a dream, promising to work hard to put on a great performance. On April 1, 2016, tickets to the show were made available for purchase to "The One" fanclub members, and later for presale on the band's official website on April 4, 2016. On June 3, 2016, a second day was announced for Tokyo Dome, with tickets for the second show immediately made available to "The One" fanclub members. Both days marked the band's largest venue to date. International fans were able to purchase tickets starting August 27, 2016.
In response to the band playing at the venue, Su-metal commented, "In Japan we have played many big venues like Budokan and others, but Tokyo Dome was always a place that I have been dreaming of performing at. Even in Japan, not everyone gets a chance to perform here!"
Tickets to both shows sold out, with 55,000 people attending the concerts each day. During both shows, the box set Trilogy: Metal Resistance Episode III – Apocalypse was made available for general sale. A digest of the shows would later be broadcast by Wowow on December 18, 2016.
Live at Tokyo Dome was initially announced on January 23, 2017 as a "The One" exclusive box set release for April 1, 2017, and later on April 12, 2017 in DVD and standard and limited edition Blu-ray formats. A trailer for the video album was released on March 15, 2017, containing concerts denoted as "Red Night" (September 19, 2016) and "Black Night" (September 20, 2017), respectively. The limited edition Blu-ray release came in an analog record-sized jacket, and initial pressings of the video included a Babymetal original sticker sheet.
Compared to previous tour dates, the set was more decorated, with three tombstone-shaped catwalks connected to the center stage, where stands a tower with big screens attached in a 360˚ ring, and a platform on top of it. Said platform is connected to the stage with an elevator, and can separate into three smaller stages. In addition, the stage included lasers, explosions, pyro, and a periodically rotating center stage. The three band members wore red and black costumes, which were imitated by cosplayers who attended the shows. The audience generally contained a mix of heavy metal fans and Japanese idol fans, who would headbang, sing, or dance to each song.
For the Red Night performance, audience members were all handed crystal neck braces and urged to never take off during the show. After the performance of "Tales of The Destinies", all the neck braces gradually light up as the band transitions to "The One". Reflecting on the performance, Kobametal noted that the development for the shows was done in a little over two weeks, further commenting, "Stage-wise, technical-wise, we had a lot of things we've never done before. Of course we did rehearsals, but until you do it for real you never know how it's going to turn out, or how it's going to look because we didn't have 55,000 people to test on – you're just imagining!"
The September 19 show, subtitled "Red Night", begins with an introductory video which states that the shows will not perform any song twice, nor will there be any MCs or encores. The narration explains that the crystal neck braces worn will be protection during "the harsh battle ahead", with a decree by the Fox God to not remove them. Red spotlights move around the arena, ending on the band three members who have appeared on stage with Kami Band, as the members hold flags and begin "Road of Resistance". The show mainly focused on songs released from Metal Resistance. Near the end of the concert, the band performs "Tales of The Destinies" for the first time, which leads to the entire venue going dark. Gradually, the crystal neck braces in the audience start glowing white, which transitions into the final song, the English version of "The One" which begins with the three members walking from the runways off the stage to the center, wearing golden cloaks. At the closing of the show, a video plays to remind the audience of the second show.
The show on September 20, subtitled "Black Night", focuses more on songs released from Babymetal. A video plays once more to enforce the song-repeating rule. With Kami Band playing on the stage, the three members show up crucified onto crosses on the stage, transitioning into the opener "Babymetal Death". The members walk in sync towards the center stage. During the interlude for "Megitsune", Su-metal yells to the crowd, "Are you ready? Everybody clap your hands!" while Yuimetal and Moametal continue to engage the crowd. When performing "Headbangeeeeerrrrr!!!!!" the latter two are shown in a smokescreen of carbon dioxide while the crowd headbangs to the bridge of the song. During the final song "Ijime, Dame, Zettai", the crystal neck braces worn glow red, and the song finishes with the three members repeatedly shouting "We are Babymetal!". Then they take the elevator to the top platform where Su-metal rings a gong, thus concluding Episode IV of the Metal Resistance. A final video plays, informing the audience of the band's next objective.
Frédéric Leclercq positively reviewed the shows, which had been sold out, describing the production as "incredible" while descring the "tombstone-shaped catwalks" and screen-filled tower on the stage. The shows were described as "90 minutes of crazy lasers, explosions, pyro, the circular centre stage rotating from time to time", while the performance of Kami Band was called "flawless". Sue Williamson of Teen Vogue described the shows as "sensory overload in its most kawaii form", highlighting the band's "perfectly coordinated choreography, video elements, and totally unique sound".
Live at Tokyo Dome charted at number three on the Oricon DVD chart and number one on the Oricon Blu-ray chart for the week April 24, 2017, with first-week sales of 11,000 and 26,000 copies, respectively. The latter giving the band's third number one Blu-ray release and making them the female act with the fourth-most number ones on the chart, along with Nana Mizuki and AKB48, and behind Perfume, Namie Amuro and Nogizaka46. The video release also topped the charts for the DVD and Blu-ray music video charts, accumulating sales of 37,000 copies, and becoming the band's fourth consecutive release to top the latter chart.
|Babymetal World Tour 2016: Legend Metal Resistance – Red Night (Disc 1)|
|1.||"Road of Resistance"||13:21|
|5.||"Amore" (Amore -蒼星-)||6:42|
|7.||"Rondo of Nightmare" (悪夢の輪舞曲)||Yuyoyuppe||5:30|
|8.||"Song 4" (4の歌)||Black Babymetal||6:49|
|9.||"Catch Me If You Can"||7:21|
|10.||"Gimme Chocolate!!" (ギミチョコ！！)||4:19|
|12.||"Tales of The Destinies"||6:55|
|13.||"The One" (English ver.)||10:25|
- "The One" limited edition includes a 2-CD audio release, splitting the performance between tracks 7 and 8.
|Babymetal World Tour 2016: Legend Metal Resistance – Black Night (Disc 2)|
|1.||"Babymetal Death"||Kitsune of Metal God||11:20|
|2.||"Awadama Fever" (あわだまフィーバー)||4:17|
|3.||"Uki Uki ★ Midnight" (ウ・キ・ウ・キ★ミッドナイト)||3:32|
|4.||"Meta Taro" (META! メタ太郎)||6:52|
|6.||"Akatsuki" (紅月 -アカツキ-)||11:05|
|7.||"Onedari Daisakusen" (おねだり大作戦)||4:37|
|8.||"No Rain, No Rainbow"||4:56|
|9.||"Doki Doki ☆ Morning" (ド・キ・ド・キ☆モーニング)||4:25|
|12.||"Ijime, Dame, Zettai" (イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ)||14:51|
- "Akatsuki" includes a prelude of Kami Band playing "Mischiefs of Metal Gods".
- "The One" limited edition includes a 2-CD audio release, splitting the performance between tracks 6 and 7.
Credits adapted from Live at Tokyo Dome booklet.
- Suzuka Nakamoto (Su-metal) – lead and backgrond vocals
- Yui Mizuno (Yuimetal) – lead and background vocals
- Moa Kikuchi (Moametal) – lead and background vocals
- Tue Madsen – mixing, mastering
- Miyaaki Shingo – photography
- Taku Fuji – photography
|Japanese DVD (Oricon)||3|
|Japanese Music DVD (Oricon)||1|
|Japanese Blu-ray (Oricon)||1|
|Japanese Music Blu-ray (Oricon)||1|
|Japan||April 1, 2017||Blu-ray, CD||
||"The One" limited||ONEB-0008
|April 12, 2017||
||Amuse, Inc.||Standard (Red Night and Black Night)||N/A|||
- Released digitally as separate shows, titled Live at Tokyo Dome – Babymetal World Tour 2016: Legend Metal Resistance – Red Night (stylized as LIVE AT TOKYO DOME ~ BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 LEGEND - METAL RESISTANCE - RED NIGHT) and Live at Tokyo Dome – Babymetal World Tour 2016: Legend Metal Resistance – Black Night (stylized as LIVE AT TOKYO DOME ~ BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 LEGEND - METAL RESISTANCE - BLACK NIGHT), respectively.
- "BABYMETAL本日横アリで新アルバム、世界ツアー、ドーム公演発表 - 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). 2015-12-13. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "BABYMETAL東京ドーム公演の日程発表、本日渋谷で限定イベントも - 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). 2016-04-01. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "BABYMETAL東京ドーム公演が2DAYSに拡大 - 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). 2016-06-03. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Tokyo Dome General Ticket Sales for Overseas Customers Available Soon!!". BABYMETAL. 2016-08-26. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "In the House of the Fox God". Kerrang!. Seymour Distribution Ltd. 2016-10-01. pp. 36–39.
- "BABYMETAL、純白の海に沈んだ東京ドームで5万5000人が"THE ONE"に". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha, Inc. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "BABYMETALの日本人初ウェンブリーアリーナ公演、完全収録で映像化 - 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). 2016-09-14. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "BABYMETALの東京ドーム単独公演2DAYS、WOWOWで放送 - 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "2017年 THE ONEスタートDEATH！！". BABYMETAL (in Japanese). 2017-01-23. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "BABYMETAL初の東京ドーム公演が映像化、「THE ONE」会員限定盤も". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. 2017-01-23. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "「LIVE AT TOKYO DOME」トレーラー映像公開DEATH！！". BABYMETAL (in Japanese). Amuse, Inc. 2017-03-15. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- Inc., Natasha, (2017-03-15). "BABYMETAL、東京ドームライブのトレイラー映像解禁 – 音楽ナタリー". 音楽ナタリー (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "BABYMETAL Blu-ray･DVD 「LIVE AT TOKYO DOME」". ASMART (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Leclercq, Frederic (2016-09-23). "Frederic Leclercq reviews Babymetal's Tokyo Dome shows – Metal Hammer". Metal Hammer. Future Publishing Limited. Team Rock. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- Williamson, Sue (2016-10-28). "Inside Babymetal's Tour Finale at the Tokyo Dome". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "BABYMETAL第4章、11万人が目撃した東京ドーム公演で堂々完結". Natalie Music (in Japanese). Natasha, Inc. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "BABYMETAL、東京ドーム公演映像でオリコン音楽BD総合首位 獲得数で女性アーティスト歴代3位タイ | Musicman-net". www.musicman-net.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- "【オリコン】BABYMETAL、通算4作目のBlu-ray Disc首位". ORICON NEWS (in Japanese). Oricon. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "【オリコン】BABYMETAL、音楽BD総合首位獲得数で女性歴代3位タイ". ORICON NEWS (in Japanese). Oricon. 2017-04-19. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- 株式会社ローソンエンタテインメント. "BABYMETAL 11万人動員したドーム公演映像が総合音楽映像ランキング首位". HMV&BOOKS online (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- Live at Tokyo Dome (Limited Edition Blu-ray) (CD liner notes). Babymetal. BMD Fox Records. 2017.
- "LIVE AT TOKYO DOME". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-11-02.
"【オリコン】BABYMETAL、音楽BD総合首位獲得数で女性歴代3位タイ". Oricon. Archived from the original on 2017-08-23. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "LIVE AT TOKYO DOME(初回限定盤)". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-11-02.
"4/24付週間Blu-ray総合ランキング1位はBABYMETALの『LIVE AT TOKYO DOME』". Oricon. Archived from the original on 2017-11-02. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "WEBメンバー限定グッズ 「LIVE AT TOKYO DOME - THE ONE LIMITED EDITION - 」". ASMART. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- DVD: "LIVE AT TOKYO DOME（DVD）" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-06-08.
Standard Blu-ray: "LIVE AT TOKYO DOME（Blu-ray）（通常盤）" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "LIVE AT TOKYO DOME（Blu-ray）（初回限定盤）" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "BABYMETAL: LIVE AT TOKYO DOME ~ BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 LEGEND - METAL RESISTANCE - RED NIGHT". YouTube. AmuseStore. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
"BABYMETAL: LIVE AT TOKYO DOME ~ BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 LEGEND - METAL RESISTANCE - BLACK NIGHT". YouTube. AmuseStore. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Babymetal: Live at Tokyo Dome ~ Babymetal World Tour 2016 Legend - Metal Resistance - Red Night on iTunes". iTunes. 2017-04-12. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
"Babymetal: Live at Tokyo Dome ~ Babymetal World Tour 2016 Legend - Metal Resistance - Black Night on iTunes". iTunes. 2017-04-12. Retrieved 2018-02-27.