Live from the Artists Den
Live from the Artists Den is a three-time New York Emmy-nominated music television series that features popular recording artists performing in non-traditional settings throughout North America. Live from the Artists Den broadcasts nationally on public television (now in its 7th season) and internationally in Japan, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Israel and Latin America.
Featured artists have included Adele, Mumford and Sons, Rufus Wainwright, Norah Jones, Soundgarden, Vampire Weekend, Kid Rock, Robert Plant, The Fray, Elvis Costello, The National, Ringo Starr, Death Cab for Cutie, Ed Sheeran, Phoenix, and Tori Amos. Featured venues have included Graceland, the first art museum in America, a Masonic temple, a former Archdiocese cathedral, a 1930s silent movie theater, the world’s oldest merchant sailing vessel, the New York Public Library, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A full listing of previously featured artists, TV episodes, and venues can be viewed at artistsden.com.
Each hour-long episode of Live from the Artists Den contains an intimate performance and interview with the featured artist(s). Mark Lieberman (Executive Producer) and Alan Light (Director of Programming) select artists with a reputation for impressive live performances, and locations are chosen for their historical significance, beauty, and/or sentimental value to the artist. The series differs from similar shows in that the venue is as much a distinguishing feature of the show as the performance. The audience for each intimate, invitation-only performance is selected via the official Artists Den mailing list.
Season One premiered in February 2009.
- KT Tunstall at the Prince George Ballroom in Manhattan
- Jakob Dylan at the Desmond Tutu Cultural Center in New York's Chelsea neighborhood
- Alanis Morissette at Judson Memorial Church in New York's Greenwich Village
- Raphael Saadiq at the Harvard Club of Boston
- Ani DiFranco at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia
- Ben Harper in Manchester, Tennessee at the 2007 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival
- Aimee Mann at Vibiana Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles
- Crowded House at the Masonic Hall Grand Lodge of New York
- Ingrid Michaelson at Cape Cinema in Cape Cod
- Josh Ritter at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- The Hold Steady at the Old Emigrant Savings Bank Building in downtown New York
- Patty Griffin at the Angel Orensanz Foundation For the Arts on New York’s Lower East Side
- The Swell Season (from the Fox Searchlight film Once) at the Good Shepherd Center Chapel in Seattle
Season Two premiered July 5, 2010.
- Ringo Starr and Ben Harper at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Tori Amos at the Park Avenue Armory in New York's Upper East Side
- David Gray at the Broad Street Ballroom in New York's Wall Street
- The Black Crowes at the Lyric Oxford in Oxford, Mississippi
- Corinne Bailey Rae at the Hiro Ballroom in New York City
- Dierks Bentley at the Ravenswood Billboard Factory in Chicago
- Booker T. Jones, Drive-By Truckers and Bettye LaVette at the Patrick F. Taylor Library in New Orleans
Season Three premiered April 1, 2011.
- Elvis Costello at the New York Public Library Main Branch
- Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs at the Don Strange Ranch in Boerne, TX
- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at Bryant Park in New York City
- Robert Plant at the War Memorial Auditorium in Nashville, TN
- Squeeze at Bryant Park in New York City
- Compilation episode featuring Daniel Merriweather at Sotheby's in New York City, A Fine Frenzy at Guild Hall in the Hamptons, and Lisa Hannigan at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Montclair, NJ
Season Four premiered February 3, 2012.
- Adele at the Santa Monica Bay Woman's Club in Santa Monica, California
- The Fray at the Angel Orensanz Foundation on New York's Lower East Side.
- Death Cab for Cutie at the Brooklyn Museum in Brooklyn, NY
- Kid Rock at Graceland in Memphis, TN
- Iron and Wine at the Buckhead Theatre in Atlanta, GA
- Amos Lee with special guests Calexico at the Fox Theater in Tucson, AZ
Season Five premiered October 5, 2012.
- Norah Jones at the Green Building in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
- The Wallflowers at the Bimbo's 365 Club in San Francisco, CA.
- Rufus Wainwright at the Church of the Ascension on New York's Fifth Ave.
- Mayer Hawthorne at the Park Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles, CA
Season Six premiered in July 2013
- Mumford & Sons at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA
- Soundgarden at The Wiltern in Los Angeles, CA
- The Killers at Capitale (the former Bowery Savings Bank building) in New York, NY
- Ed Sheeran at the New York Society for Ethical Culture in New York, NY
- The National at the Park Avenue Armory in New York, NY
- Imagine Dragons at the Ebell of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA
Season Seven premiered in January 2014
- Phoenix at Anderson High School in Austin, TX
- Sheryl Crow at The Plaza Hotel in New York, NY
- Sara Bareilles at the The Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, CA
- Vampire Weekend at the The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen in New York, NY
- Fitz and the Tantrums at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel (formerly the United Artists Theatre) in Los Angeles, CA
- 5-Year Anniversary Special