Live in Atlantic City
|Live in Atlantic City|
|Video by Beyoncé|
|Released||November 22, 2013|
|Recorded||2012, during Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live (Atlantic City, New Jersey)|
Live in Atlantic City is a live concert film by American recording artist Beyoncé. It was released on November 22, 2013 by Columbia Records as part of the home media release of her autobiographical television film Life Is But a Dream. The concert film contains footage from Beyoncé's four-night residency show in the venue Revel Atlantic City in May, 2012 and was directed by Ed Burke and her. It encompasses live performances of twenty one songs, in addition to a new song by Beyoncé, "God Made You Beautiful".
After the concert film was released, videos of three performances from the concert were released online on Beyoncé's YouTube channel—"Schoolin' Life", "Dance for You" and "Party". Live in Atlantic City was commercially successful, charting in the top ten in various DVD charts worldwide. The two-disc set of Life Is But a Dream / Live in Atlantic City peaked at number one on the US Billboard Top Music Videos chart and the UK Music DVD Chart, becoming the singer's fourth and first chart topper in the countries respectively. It was certified platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).
Background and release
On February 16, 2013, Beyoncé released Life Is But a Dream, an autobiographical television film. Released on the HBO channel, it garnered 1.8 million viewers for the initial broadcast, becoming the largest audience for a documentary since Nielsen Media Research revised its method of measuring viewership in 2004. However, critical commentary towards Life Is But a Dream was mixed with divided opinions by critics.
The film's home media release in a DVD and Blu-ray format was announced on October 30, 2013 along with a trailer. During the video, it was revealed that the release included a two-disc set, with the second part, Live in Atlantic City, being bonus concert footage filmed during Beyoncé's four-night residency show Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live at Revel Atlantic City in May 2012. A new song titled "God Made You Beautiful" was also featured on the concert film and heard as the background music in the trailer. The home media release was made available for pre-order on November 1, 2013. Live in Atlantic City was first released in Germany and the Netherlands on November 22, 2013 as part of the two-disc set of Life Is But a Dream. Three days later, the DVD was also released in the US, Canada and the UK and the Blu-ray version was released in the latter country the same day. In the US, the Blu-ray format was released on December 17, 2013.
After the concert film was released, videos of the performances of three songs were released online. The performance of "Schoolin' Life" from the DVD was previewed on Beyoncé's official YouTube page on November 25, 2013. A writer of Vibe magazine felt that the laser light show from the performance "brighten[ed] up Atlantic City". The performance of "Dance for You" was also uploaded to the singer's channel two days later. The live rendition of "Party" was the final uploaded video from the concert film on December 2. John Walker of MTV reviewed it positively writing, "The sparkling, goddess-like centerpiece in a swirling sea of pink feathers, Beyoncé shines like a true showgirl on stage. Thankfully, unlike the 1995 camp classic, none of her backup dancers look nefarious enough to try anything funny". Walker further praised Beyoncé's vocals and dance moves as "on point as always" and the "flawlessly areolicious bustier" she wore.
The film contains live performances of twenty one songs along with a new song, "God Made You Beautiful", written by Australian singer-songwriter Sia Furler. Several short excerpts of the performances found on the concert film are also featured in Life Is But a Dream itself. The film opens with Beyoncé appearing in front of a large screen with her silhouette being seen. As the music of "End of Time" starts, she performs a choreography with her female dancers and French duo Les Twins on stage further singing the song's lyrics. "Get Me Bodied" follows with a similarly choreographed performance and for the third song "Baby Boy", the singer dances with her background dancers in front of a holographic background performing a Dutty Wine dance at the end. "Crazy in Love" and "Diva" are featured as the fourth and fifth song respectively. "Naughty Girl" is preceded by a video projection with a voice-over by Beyoncé talking about female sexuality. A snippet of Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby" is interpolated within it and the singer performs the song with her female dancers. She continues with "Party" for which a prominent Las Vegas showgirl theme is featured.
Prior to starting "Dance for You", Beyoncé announces to the audience that she is going to dance to the song without singing it. "Freakum Dress" opens with a short interlude during which several dancers appear onstage dancing with long dresses. Beyoncé appears and performs the song, interacting with her guitarist towards the end. "I Care" is performed by the singer alone on stage and during "Schoolin' Life" a laser show is displayed for a choreographed dance. "1+1" sees Beyoncé singing the song atop a piano and "Flaws and All" follows. "Run the World (Girls)" is preceded by a video interlude set to the music of "Countdown", shown on the screen onstage. A video featuring various footage from Beyoncé's life follows as she recites the lyrics from her song "I Was Here". After that, she performs the opening lines of "I Will Always Love You" a cappella as a tribute to Whitney Houston and continues with her own song "Halo". "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) is performed afterwards with the same choreography from its music video and "Green Light" is used as the concert's encore. "Love on Top" is the last song on Live in Atlantic City, performed by Beyoncé and her dancers as the credits for the concert film are shown.
"God Made You Beautiful" is featured as a bonus audio song on the concert film and it premiered online on November 22, 2013. It is a slow-tempo ballad, with a staccato beat and a gospel-tinged chorus. Instrumentally, it consists of drums, strings, pianos, runs and hand claps. It opens with an "echoey" a cappella choir and it lyrically talks about Beyoncé and Jay-Z's daughter Blue Ivy as the singer tells that she "brought me back to life/you bring me back to life."
On November 30, 2013, Live in Atlantic City debuted at number four on the Dutch Music DVD Chart and later peaked at number two in The Netherlands.[nb 1] The same week it also debuted at number ten on the Belgian Music DVD Chart in Flanders and at number 30 on the French Music DVD Chart. The next week, the DVD moved to number nine on the French Music DVD Chart, setting a new peak position in that country. On the Spanish Music DVD Chart it peaked at number 11 on November 25, 2013, which became its only placement outside of the top ten on a DVD chart.
The video debuted at number one in the United Kingdom on December 7, 2013, becoming Beyoncé's first British chart-topper on the UK Music DVD Chart in her entire career. It spent another consecutive week on top of the chart, before being removed to number two by One Night at the Palladium (2013) by Robbie Williams the following week. It spent six more weeks in the top five on the chart and it was seen for the last time on May 31, 2014 at number 40, having spent a total of 26 weeks on the chart. On December 27, 2013 the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) awarded the DVD with a platinum certification for shipment of 50,000 copies in that region. In the US, Live in Atlantic City became Beyoncé's fourth number-one video on the Billboard Top Music Videos chart, debuting on top for the week of December 14, 2013. In Australia, the DVD peaked at number two on the chart and was certified gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) for shipment of 7,500 copies.
|DVD track listing|
|1.||"End of Time"|
|2.||"Get Me Bodied"|
|4.||"Crazy in Love"|
|8.||"Dance for You"|
|13.||"Flaws and All"|
|15.||"Run the World (Girls)"|
|16.||"I Was Here"|
|17.||"I Will Always Love You"|
|19.||"Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)"|
|21.||"Love on Top" (end credits song)|
|Bonus song download|
|1.||"God Made You Beautiful"||Beyoncé, Chris Braide, Sia Furler||4:41|
Credits for Live in Atlantic City taken from the concert film's liner notes and Beyoncé's official website.
- Creative director – Beyoncé
- Director of choreography – Frank D. Gatson Jr.
- Musical director – Kim Burse, Derek Dixie
- Visual content directors – Beyoncé, Ed Burke
- Lighting designer – LeRoy Bennett
- Band – Rebecca Buxton, Cora Coleman-Dunham, Kiku Collins, Bibi McGill, Katty Rodríguez-Harrold, Lauren Taneil Robinson, Rie Tsuji, Britanni Washington
- Background vocals – Crystal Collins, Montina Donnell, Tiffany Riddick
- Dance captain – Ashley Everett
- Dancers – Larry Bourgeois, Laurent Bourgeois, Sarah Burns, Anthony Burrell, Tanesha Cason, Olivia Cipolla, Hannah Douglas, Amandy Fernández, Kimmie Gipson, Christina Owens, Ryan Ramírez
- Co-choreographers – Chris Grant, JaQuel Knight
- Assistant choreographer – Danielle Polanco
- Contributing choreographers – Beyoncé, James Aslop, Larry Bourgeois, Laurent Bourgeois, Anthony Burrell, Rhapsody James, Jonte Moaning, Sheryl Murakami, Christina Owens, Michelle Robinson, Ebony Williams
- Assistant to choreographers – Kristopher Mohfanz
- Director of wardrobe – Tina Knowles
- Head stylist – Ty Hunter
- Stylist – Raquel Smith
- Wardrobe assistants – Enid Gayle, Amber Glaspie, Taneka McLeod, Kwasi Fordjour
- Designers – Swarovski Crystals provided by Ralph & Russo, Dolce & Gabbana, David Koma, The Blonds, Stuart Weitzman and Scott Nylund, Timothy White and Enid Gayle for Tina Knowles
- Make-up artist – Francesca Tolot
- Hair stylist – Neal Farinah
- Nail technician – Lisa Logan
- Band/dancers make-up – Crissy Gómez, Erica Martínez, Rashad Taylor, Yuki Ara
- Band/dancers hair – Yolanda Ward, Nikki Nelms, Eric Williams
- Additional show content – Alexander Hammer, Melina Matsoukas
- Show content writer – Angela Beyincé
- Additional content assistant – William Boisture
- Light board operator – Cory Fitzgerald
- Image director – Kevin Carswell
- Video server operation – Marc Andre Tremblay
- Digital media operator – Kevin Ryan
- Guitar tech – Sean O'Brian
- Keyboard tech – Cody Orell
- Drum tech – Marco Zambrano
- Crew chief/FOH cam – John Dennis Bedell
- LED tech/FOD cam – Russell Wingfield
- LED tech/dolly cam – Jeffrey Michael Gainer
- LED tech – Chad McClymonds
- Projectionist – Craig Leibowitz
- Projectionist/handheld cam – Christopher Alan Campbell
- LED/KI pro recording tech – Tyler Munson
- Engineer – Randall Schaffer
- LED engineer – Dustin King
- Project manager video – Barry Claxton
- FOH engineer – Christopher Rabold
- Band monitor engineer – Chauncey Burney
- Beyoncé monitor engineer – James Berry
- System engineer – Christopher Berry
- Monitor tech – John Switzer
- RF/P.A. – Victor Arko
- Head electric – David Bergeron
- Electricians – Antoine Malette, Scott Allan Walsh, Jean Francois Malette, Alex Boldue, Eric Cere
- Automation operator – Eric Pelletier
- Head rigger – Pat Ryan
- Head carpenter – William Shewmaker
- Project manager set & props – Tim Fallon
- Sets – Bryan Alexander Schluntz, Kevin William Levasseur, Bobby Lee Marshall
- Production assistant – Ashlee Senser
- Venue security – Pete Beattle
- Tour manager – Alan Floyd
- Visual content – Breathe Editing Inc.
- Show production manager – Alex Miasnikof
- Assistant show production manager – Shari Weber
- Set designer – Florian Weider
- Supervising art director – Talyn Wright
- Stage manager – Terry Cooley
- Theatrical director – Jennita Russo
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||50,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Netherlands||November 22, 2013||2DVD|
|United Kingdom||November 25, 2013|
|Poland||November 26, 2013||2DVD|
|Australia||November 29, 2013|
|Turkey||December 5, 2013|
|United States||December 17, 2013||Blu-ray|
- The positions and sales of Live in Atlantic City are of Life Is But a Dream because the concert film is part of it.
- O'Connell, Michael (February 19, 2013). "TV Ratings: Dueling Beyonce Specials Bring Big Numbers to HBO and OWN". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyonce: Life Is But a Dream: Season 1". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Ehrlich, Brenna (October 30, 2013). "Beyoncé's 'God Made You Beautiful': Get A Taste Of Her Latest Track!". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- ""Life Is But A Dream" To Be Released On DVD On November 25 Worldwide" (Press release). PR Newswire/Parkwood Entertainment and Columbia Records. November 1, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life is But A Dream DVD". Beyonce.com. Parkwood Entertainment. October 28, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "Beyonce: Life Is But a Dream (2013)". Amazon.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life Is But A Dream / Live In Atlantic City" (in Dutch). Bol.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyoncé – Life is But a Dream [DVD + UV Copy]". Amazon.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyoncé: Life Is But a Dream [Blu-ray] (2013)". Amazon.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyoncé Performs 'Schoolin' Life' for 'Life Is But a Dream'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. November 25, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Watch: Beyonce's 'Schoolin' Life' Performance In Atlantic City From Her 'Life Is But A Dream' DVD". Vibe. Vibe Media. November 25, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Live in Atlantic City "Dance for You"". YouTube. November 27, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Live in Atlantic City "Party"". YouTube. December 2, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Walker, Jogn (December 3, 2013). "Beyonce Gets Her Showgirl On In This Live Atlantic City Performance Of 'Party' (VIDEO)". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Jeffery, Morgan (March 13, 2013). "Beyoncé's 'Life Is But A Dream' documentary to air on BBC One". Digital Spy. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Beyoncé, Ed Burke (2013). Live in Atlantic City. Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment. Event occurs at 0:00:00 to 1:15:09.
- Wass, Mike (November 22, 2013). "Beyonce's "God Made You Beautiful" Arrives: Listen To The Uplifting Ballad In Full". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Coleman, Miriam (November 23, 2013). "Beyonce Gets Tender on 'God Made You Beautiful'". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "New Music: Beyoncé – 'God Made You Beautiful'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. November 22, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Newman, Melinda (November 22, 2013). "Beyonce waxes rhapsodic about daughter Blue Ivy on new song, 'God Made You Beautiful'". HitFix. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Dutch DVD Music Top 30 – 01/03/2014" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Ultratop 10 Muziek-DVD Chart – 30/11/2013" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Classement officiel des ventes de DVD Musicaux du 18 novembre au 24 novembre 2013" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Archived from the original on August 21, 2015. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Classement officiel des ventes de DVD Musicaux 25 novembre au 01 décembre 2013" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Top 20 DVD Musical - Semana 48: del 25.11.2013 al 01.12.2013" (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "2013 Top 40 Music Video Archive - 7th December 2013". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "2013 Top 40 Music Video Archive - 14th December 2013". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "2013 Top 40 Music Video Archive - 21st December 2013". Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on December 24, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "2013 Top 40 Music Video Archive - May 31st 2014". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "British video certifications – Beyoncé – Life Is But a Dream". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Life Is But a Dream in the search field and then press Enter.
- "Music Video Sales - December 14, 2013". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2013 DVD". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Life Is But a Dream (2013) Credits". Beyonce.com. Parkwood Entertainment. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "ARIA Music DVDs Chart". ARIA Charts. January 13, 2014. Archived from the original on January 13, 2014.
- "Brazil Top CD & DVD". Portal Sucesso. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Musik-DVD Charts – aktuelle Musik-DVDs". Mix1.de. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- ライフ・イズ・バット・ア・ドリーム (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "ARIA Top 50 Music DVDs 2013". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2013" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- De Toledo, Giuliana (March 19, 2014). "Disco de Padre Marcello Rossi foi o mas". Folha de S. Paulo (in Portuguese). Grupo Folha. Archived from the original on March 20, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2014" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Rapports Annuels 2014" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Jaaroverzichten – DVD 2014" (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- "Music Video Sales – Year-end chart". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2013 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "French video certifications – Beyoncé – Life Is But a Dream" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Beyonce' – Life Is But A Dream [2 DVDs]" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life Is But A Dream: Beyoncé: DVD". Amazon.ca. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyoncé – Life is But a Dream [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [Region Free]". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream / Live in Atlantic City Blu-rayUnited Kingdom". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life Is But A Dream / Live In Atlantic City" (in Polish). Empik.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life Is But A Dream – Beyonce". JB Hi-Fi. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Buy Life Is But A Dream, Beyonce, DVD, DVD". Sanity. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Life Is But A Dream (2xDVD)" (in Turkish). Dr.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.