Live in Paris (Diana Krall album)
|Live in Paris|
|Live album by Diana Krall|
|Released||October 1, 2002|
November 29 - December 2, 2001 at Paris Olympia (Paris, France)|
(Manhattan, New York)
|Genre||Jazz, vocal jazz|
|Diana Krall chronology|
|The Absolute Sound|||
|Live in Paris|
|Video by Diana Krall|
|Released||April 2, 2002|
|Diana Krall chronology|
Live in Paris is the first DVD and live album and seventh overall album by Canadian jazz pianist and vocalist Diana Krall, released in 2002 (see 2002 in music). The DVD video was filmed during Krall's sold-out concert at Paris's Olympia on November 29 - December 2, 2001 and includes songs from her multi-platinum albums Only Trust Your Heart, All for You, When I Look in Your Eyes and The Look of Love. In the United States alone, the album sold over 500,000 copies while the DVD sold over 200,000 copies. The album won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album and the 2003 Juno Award for Vocal Jazz Album of the Year. Billboard ranked the album at number 8 on the magazine's Top Jazz Albums of the Decade.
Christopher Loudon of JazzTimes wrote "I’m guessing that producer Tommy LiPuma, sage pulse-taker that he is, recognized it was high time for Krall to get back to basics. If so, 10 points for Tommy. Apart from the presence, on two of the album’s 11 tracks, of the syrupy but subdued Orchestre Symphonique Europeen, Live in Paris features the British Columbia beauty stripped bare, passion fully exposed, intensity cranked to 11. Raw, unplugged, pure. Krall 101".
Nail Gader of The Absolute Sound stated "Surfaces are dead quiet, and the LP is lighter on its feet, more layered, airier, finer grained, and more transparent. Live in Paris is a great addition to a choice LP collection".
Jeff Cebulski of Paste Magazine commented "In the meantime, Krall croons blue notes heretofore reserved for Cassandra Wilson (in Joni Mitchell’s "A Case of You"), whispers wispy ballads, and even scats a bit—a welcome return to her early form, before market-driven pressures took over".
- "I Love Being Here With You" (Peggy Lee, William Schluger) – 5:12
- "Let's Fall in Love" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 4:34
- "'Deed I Do" (Walter Hirsch, Fred Rose) – 5:17
- "The Look of Love" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 5:00
- "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)" (Brooks Bowman) – 5:58
- "I've Got You Under My Skin" (Cole Porter) – 7:24
- "Devil May Care" (Bob Dorough, Terrell Kirk) – 6:52
- "Maybe You'll Be There" (Rube Bloom, Sammy Gallop) – 5:47
- "'S Wonderful" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 5:59
- "Fly Me to the Moon" (Bart Howard) – 6:05
- "A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell) – 7:04
- "Just the Way You Are" (Billy Joel) – 5:00 (Bonus track standard edition)
- "Charmed Life" – 2:48 (Bonus track on Canadian exclusive release)
- "I Love Being Here with You"
- "All or Nothing At All"
- "Let's Fall In Love"
- "The Look of Love"
- "Maybe You'll be There"
- "'Deed I Do"
- "Devil May Care"
- "Cry Me a River"
- "I've Got You Under My Skin"
- "East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)"
- "I Get Along Without You Very Well"
- "Pick Yourself Up"
- "'S Wonderful"
- "Love Letters"
- "I Don't Know Enough About You"
- "Do It Again"
- "A Case of You"
2008 edition bonus material
"The Look Of Love", "Let's Face The Music And Dance", "Rehearsal footage"
- Diana Krall - piano, vocals, Fender Rhodes
- Michael Brecker - tenor saxophone
- Alan Broadbent - conductor
- John Clayton - bass
- Paulinho Da Costa - percussion
- Jeff Hamilton - drums
- Christian McBride - bass
- Rob Mounsey - keyboard
- Lewis Nash - drums
- John Pisano - acoustic guitar
- Luis Quintero - percussion
- Anthony Wilson - guitar
Album - Billboard (North America)
|2002||The Billboard 200||18|
|2002||Top Canadian Albums||3|
|2002||Top Internet Albums||18|
|2002||Top Jazz Albums||1|
|2003||Grammy Awards||Live in Paris||Best Jazz Vocal Album|
|Juno Awards||Live in Paris||Vocal Jazz Album of the Year|
- At the end of "I Love Being Here With You", Krall twice sings the name of Ray Brown, who was one of her mentors.
- "Just the Way You Are", a bonus track on CD but not on DVD, was recorded at Avatar Studios in New York City.
- Garder, Neil (19 September 2014). "Diana Krall: Live In Paris". The Absolute Sound. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Allmusic review
- Robert Christgau Consumer Guide
- Loudon, Christopher (1 December 2002). "Diana Krall: Live in Paris". JazzTimes. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Cebulski, Jeff (1 January 2003). "Diana Krall - Live In Paris". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Discos de oro y platino" (in Spanish). Cámara Argentina de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Austrian album certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved February 5, 2018. Enter Diana Krall in the field Interpret. Enter Live in Paris in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "Canadian album certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris". Music Canada. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "Polish album certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "British album certifications – Diana Krall – A Night In Paris". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved October 20, 2015. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Enter A Night In Paris in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 20, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "Canadian video certifications – Diana Krall – In Concert: Live In Paris". Music Canada. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "American video certifications – Diana Krall – Live in Paris". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 20, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Video Longform, then click SEARCH.