Live in Toronto (King Crimson album)
|Live in Toronto|
|Live album by|
|Released||29 February 2016 digital download|
17 March 2016 CD
|Recorded||20 November 2015|
|Venue||Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Toronto, Canada|
|Label||Discipline Global Mobile|
|King Crimson chronology|
Live in Toronto is a live album by the band King Crimson, released by Discipline Global Mobile records in 2016. The album was recorded on 20 November at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Toronto, Canada during the band's The Elements of King Crimson tour of 2015. It is the second full-length release by the current seven-piece incarnation of the band and featured new compositions never before released by the band on record.
|Dutch Progressive Rock Page|||
The album has received positive reviews. John Kelman, writing for All About Jazz, praises the new lineup, noting “… with the triple drum set arrangements, twin guitars, reeds and woodwinds, and bass and stick, all played by top- drawer musicians capable of respecting every song's formal construction while, at the same time, introducing interpretive variations and impressive solos, this is no tribute band; this is a Crimson… bringing the music firmly into the 21st Century.”
Mark Hughes of Dutch Progressive Rock Page noted that “(t)he older material is perfectly interpreted/reinterpreted, but with a new vigour and purpose to proceedings. Jakszyk provides assured vocal lines and sounds uncannily like Wetton on the intro to ‘Easy Money’. However, it is the overall interaction of all seven musicians that makes this performance stand out so much.”
Regarding the new compositions, Dom Lawson writes for Prog magazine, “Part wholesale reinvention, part meticulous refinement, the… new material crackles and pops with exuberance and the infectious thump of hearts buoyed by fresh adrenalin.”
|1.||"Threshold Soundscape"||Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, Mel Collins||4:00|
|2.||"Larks’ Tongues in Aspic: Part One"||David Cross, Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Jamie Muir||10:30|
|3.||"Pictures of a City"||Fripp, Peter Sinfield||8:32|
|4.||"VROOOM"||Adrian Belew, Fripp, Levin, Trey Gunn, Bruford, Pat Mastelotto||5:19|
|5.||"Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)"||Jakko Jakszyk, Fripp||3:21|
|7.||"The Hell Hounds of Krim"||Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Mastelotto||3:31|
|8.||"The ConstruKction of Light"||Belew, Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto||6:45|
|10.||"Epitaph"||Fripp, Ian McDonald, Greg Lake, Michael Giles, Sinfield||9:02|
|1.||"Banshee Legs Bell Hassle"||Harrison, Rieflin, Mastelotto||1:44|
|2.||"Easy Money"||Fripp, Wetton, Richard Palmer-James||8:34|
|3.||"Level Five"||Belew, Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto||7:04|
|4.||"The Letters"||Fripp, Sinfield||5:39|
|6.||"Starless"||Cross, Fripp, Wetton, Bruford, Palmer-James||15:19|
|7.||"The Court of the Crimson King"||McDonald, Sinfield||7:18|
|8.||"21st Century Schizoid Man"||Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield||11:42|
- Front Line
- Pat Mastelotto – drums, electronic percussion
- Bill Rieflin – drums, electronic percussion, keyboards
- Gavin Harrison – drums, electronic percussion
- Back Line
- Robert Fripp – guitar, guitar synth, keyboards
- Jakko Jakszyk –- guitar, vocals
- Tony Levin – basses, Chapman Stick, backing vocals
- Mel Collins – saxophones, flutes
- Trevor Wilkens – audio recorder
- "King Crimson 2015 Gig Now Available". dgmlive.com. 29 February 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Allmusic review". Allmusic. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- Hughes, Mark. "King Crimson – Live In Toronto | DPRM". www.dprp.net. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Kelman, John. "King Crimson: Live In Toronto: Queen Elizabeth Theatre, November 20, 2015 | AllMusic". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "King Crimson: Live In Toronto". Team Rock. Retrieved 11 August 2016.