Live looping is the recording and playback of a piece of music in real-time  using either dedicated hardware devices, called loopers or phrase samplers, or software running on a computer with an audio interface. In the early days of looping, before hardware loopers were available, musicians would create loops with tape recorders. Live looping has become increasing popular in recent history as it offers the ability for a single musician to create multiple layers to their live music, resulting in a sound close to that of a "full band". Notable manufacturers of looping devices are: Boss Corporation, DigiTech, TC-Helicon, Boomerang, Electro-Harmonix (EHX), Line 6, Pigtronix, and Vox.
In a 2012–13 poll of 1000 singers, 11% stated that they used live looping while 51% did not know what live looping was. Artists known for their use or advocacy of the technique include Ed Sheeran, Dub FX, MC Xander, Mylets, Ambre McLean,Jacob Moon, Amy X Neuburg, Beardyman, Kimbra, KT Tunstall, Kid Beyond, Tune-Yards, David Torn and Reggie Watts.
- Aftab Ali (10 February 2014). "In conversation: David Devereux". Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Looper Pedal Manufacturers". LooperMusic.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- TC-Helicon; Barker, Greg A.; Alexander, Kathy (2014-01-06). The Ultimate Guide to Singing: Gigs, Sound, Money and Health. TC-Helicon. pp. 191–. ISBN 9780992034405. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Canada’s Best Kept Secret, Ambre McLean!". Dec 12, 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Jacob Moon shines in Oshawa". Feb 21, 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Battino, David; Richards, Kelli (2005). The Art of Digital Music: 56 Visionary Artists & Insiders Reveal Their Creative Secrets. Backbeat Books. pp. 106–. ISBN 9780879308308. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Richardson, John (2012-01-26). An Eye for Music: Popular Music and the Audiovisual Surreal. Oxford University Press. pp. 246–. ISBN 9780195367362. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Werner, Matt (2012-05-15). Oakland in Popular Memory: Interviews with twelve cutting-edge artists from Oakland and beyond. Thought Publishing. pp. 70–. ISBN 9780982689844. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Lauren Beck (2011-05-18). "tUnE-yArDs Live-Looping Will Blow Your Mind". The L Magazine. Retrieved 2015-11-29.