|Main ingredients||Ground pork liver, lard|
|Variations||Ground chicken liver|
|Cookbook: Liver pâté Media: Liver pâté|
In Norway, liver and a bit of pork is formed into a pâté to which herbs, salt, pepper and other desired seasonings are added. It is then put into a loaf pan and baked in an oven.
Leverpostej is sliced or spread on Danish dark rye bread (rugbrød) and is eaten as an open faced sandwich. It may also be topped with a variety of pickled accompaniments, such as beets or cucumbers, or onions, fried onions or bacon, or with fresh slices of cucumber. The Leverpostej is served both hot and cold and can be bought premade in Danish supermarkets and butchers.
A more extravagant variation is the prepared Danish open faced sandwich (smørrebrød) called Dyrlægens natmad ("veterinarian's midnight snack") — on a piece of dark rye bread, a layer of leverpostej is topped with a slice of salt beef (saltkød) and a slice of meat aspic (sky). This is topped with raw onion rings and cress.
Leverpostej was introduced to Denmark in 1847 by the French François Louis Beauvais in Copenhagen. At that time it was considered a luxury dish, and was expensive. Today it is a common and reasonably priced food. In two 1992 surveys, Danes ranked leverpostej as their favorite sandwich topping.
Stryhn's, established 1945 on the isle of Amager, south of Copenhagen, is one of Denmark's main leverpostej producers. For the past few decades, their Grovhakket (lit. "coarse minced") brand has been the most popular leverpostej in Denmark.[not in citation given] A typical recipe can be found online.
- Bettina Buhl, curator of the Danish Museum of Agriculture, "Pålæg – fladt eller højtbelagt – en historisk køkkenvandring"[permanent dead link]
- idadavidsen.dk, "Opskrifter - Dyrlægens natmad" Archived 2011-11-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- tivolihallen.dk, "Vidste du?"
- videnskab.dk, "Madpakken opstod af industrialisering og baconeksport", October 7 2009
- bt.dk, "Leverpostej-katastrofe truer madpakkerne", January 5 2002
- business.dk - "Den danske leverpostej skal fremtidssikres", February 25 2006
- hoerup.dk: "Leverpostej"