|Grade 1 race|
|Race type||Hurdle race|
|Distance||3m ½f (4,929 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||10 st 13 lb (4yo);
11 st 7 lb (5yo+)
7 lb for fillies and mares
|Thistlecrack||Shaneshill||Prince Of Scars|
|Whisper||Cole Harden||Un Temps Pour Tout|
|Whisper||At Fishers Cross||Thousand Stars|
|Big Buck's||Crack Away Jack||Across The Bay|
|Big Buck's||Grands Crus||Won In The Dark|
The Liverpool Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run at Aintree over a distance of about 3 miles and 110 yards (4,929 metres), and during its running there are thirteen hurdles to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year in early April.
The event was established in 1974, and it was originally held at Ascot. During the first part of its history it was called the Long Distance Hurdle, and it was initially contested over 3 miles. For a period it was classed at Grade 2 level.
The race was transferred to Aintree in 2004, and since then it has been named after the nearby city of Liverpool. Its original distance has been extended by 110 yards.
The Liverpool Hurdle was promoted to Grade 1 status in 2010, and it currently takes place on the final day of the three-day Grand National meeting. Prior to 2013 it was the opening race on the first day of the meeting. Silver Cross sponsored the race from 2014 to 2015.
Most successful horse (4 wins):
- Big Buck's – 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Leading jockey (5 wins):
- Peter Scudamore – Gaye Chance (1982), Bajan Sunshine (1985), Gaye Brief (1986), Mrs Muck (1987), Pragada (1992)
Leading trainer (5 wins):
- Martin Pipe – Pragada (1992), Sweet Glow (1994), Galant Moss (1999), Maid Equal (2001), Deano's Beeno (2003)
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
1 The 1989 running was abandoned because of snow.
- Horseracing in Great Britain
- List of British National Hunt races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1974 – this race is included under its original title, Long Distance Hurdle.
- "Silver Cross to sponsor Grade 1 Stayer's Hurdle on Grand National Day". www.thecrabbiesgrandnational.co.uk. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Racing Post: