Liverpool Senior Cup
|Number of teams||15|
|Current champions||Prescot Cables (2017)|
|Most successful club(s)||Everton (46 titles)|
The Liverpool County Football Association Senior Cup, commonly known as the Liverpool Senior Cup, is a football knockout tournament involving teams from the city of Liverpool, England and surrounding areas.
It is the County Cup competition of the Liverpool County Football Association and involves non-league clubs as well as the three professional teams in Merseyside: Everton, Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers. However, while non-league clubs often field their first team in the competition, the professional clubs generally field their reserve teams.
The first Liverpool Senior Cup was played for in 1882-83, with Bootle (1879) becoming the inaugural winners, and the competition has taken place most seasons since then. The final of the 1892-1893 competition was the occasion of the first ever Merseyside derby- Liverpool won the game 1-0.
Prescot Cables defeated Southport 2-0 in the 2016-17 final at Volair Park. Andy Scarisbrick scored the winner in the second half, the game went viral when fans celebrated the first goal scored by Joe Herbert, the celebration culminated in a section of fence collapsing.
Marine 3 City Of Liverpool 2
Burscough 2 Skelmersdale United 1
Widnes 1 AFC Liverpool 0
Bootle v Prescot Cables
St Helens Town 1 Litherland REMYCA 2
Byes - Everton, Tranmere Rovers, Southport
Tranmere Rovers v Marine
Widnes v Southport
Burscough v Litherland REMYCA
Everton v Bootle/Prescot Cables
Table of winners
Results of Finals since 2001–02 are:
|2003–04||Liverpool||Everton||1–1, pen. 9–8|
|2012-13||Bootle||AFC Liverpool||1–1, pen. 4-3|
|2014-15||Skelmersdale United||AFC Liverpool||5-4|
Notes and references
- "Liverpool Senior Cup 2001-02 Final Match Report". Liverweb.org.uk. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Liverpool Senior Cup Final 2002-03 & Liverpool Senior Cup Quarter-Final 2003-04". ToffeeWeb.com. Archived from the original on 2008-04-06. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Liverpool Senior Cup 2003-04 Final Match Report". Liverweb.org.uk. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Liverpool Senior Cup Final 2004-05". ToffeeWeb.com. Archived from the original on 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Liverpool Senior Cup 2005-06". Football Club History Database. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- The final between Marine and Tranmere Rovers was cancelled due to pitch availability problems.
- "Liverpool Senior Cup 2006-07". Football Club History Database. Retrieved 2008-05-20.