Liverpool Urban Area
The "Liverpool Urban Area" is a term used by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to denote the urban area around Liverpool in England, to the east of the River Mersey. The contiguous built-up area extends beyond the area administered by Liverpool City Council into adjoining local authority areas, particularly parts of Sefton and Knowsley. As defined by ONS, the area extends as far east as Haydock and St. Helens.
The Liverpool Urban Area defined by ONS covers Liverpool and its contiguous built-up areas, with a population of 864,122 a considerable increase from the 2001 census mainly because of the addition of Rainford and Ashton-in-Makerfield to the urban area. The population of the area was 816,216 in the 2001 census, which was down 2.6% from the 1991 figure of 837,998. The urban area facing Liverpool on the Wirral Peninsula is a separate division known as the Birkenhead Urban Area.
The ONS definition is based purely on physical criteria with a focus on the presence or absence of significant gaps between built-up areas. It therefore extends as far as St Helens and Haydock, but excludes some areas much closer to Liverpool which are separated from it by open spaces. According to the ONS the subcomponents of the Liverpool Urban Area are:
|Urban subvision||Population (2011)||Population (2001)||Population (1991)|
- Huyton-with-Roby was included as part of the Liverpool subdivision in the 2011 census.
- Rainford and Ashton-in-Makerfield were not part of the Liverpool Urban Area in 2001 and 1991.
Greater Liverpool is an informal term used by the Rent Service as one of its Broad Rental Market Areas (BRMA). This area includes such districts outside the Liverpool City Council boundaries as Crosby, Maghull, Prescot and St Helens.
- "Liverpool Urban Area". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "2011 Census - Built-up areas". ONS. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Key Statistics for urban areas in the North - Contents, Introduction, Tables KS01 - KS08" (PDF). Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "1991 Top 50 Urban Areas". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- "Birkenhead Urban Area". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Broad Rental Market Areas (select 'Liverpool' as the Local Authority and hit LA Search - then hit the 'Map' button at the bottom to give map)
- Liverpool Area Public Transport Map and Guide