Livin' on the Fault Line
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Livin' on the Fault Line|
|Studio album by The Doobie Brothers|
|Released||August 19, 1977|
|Recorded||1977 at Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood, CA, Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA and Warner Bros. Recording Studios, North Hollywood, CA|
|The Doobie Brothers chronology|
|Singles from Livin' on the Fault Line|
|Rolling Stone||(mixed) |
Livin' on the Fault Line is the seventh studio album by the American rock band The Doobie Brothers, released in 1977. It is one of the few Doobie Brothers albums which did not produce a hit (although "You Belong to Me" was a hit as recorded by co-author Carly Simon). Still, the album received modest critical acclaim. Tom Johnston (guitar, vocals) left the band early in the sessions. He is listed as part of the band (appearing in the inside group photo) but appears on little or none of the actual album. Much of this consistently mellow album has a jazz tinge, and the influences of R&B are palpable throughout. The track "Little Darling (I Need You)" is a remake of the Marvin Gaye 1966 hit.
- "You're Made That Way" (McDonald, Baxter, Knudsen) – 3:30
- "Echoes of Love" (Simmons, Willie Mitchell, Earl Randle) – 2:57
- "Little Darling (I Need You)" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 3:24
- "You Belong to Me" (Carly Simon, McDonald) – 3:04
- "Livin' on the Fault Line" (Simmons) – 4:42
- "Nothin' But a Heartache" (McDonald) – 3:05
- "Chinatown" (Simmons) – 4:55
- "There's a Light" (McDonald) – 4:12
- "Need a Lady" (Porter) – 3:21
- "Larry the Logger Two-Step" (Simmons) – 1:16
The Doobie Brothers:
- Patrick Simmons - guitar, vocals
- Jeff Baxter - guitar, steel guitar
- Michael McDonald - keyboards, vocals
- Tiran Porter - bass, vocals
- Keith Knudsen - drums, vocals
- John Hartman - drums
- Bobby LaKind - congas, vocals
- Dan Armstrong - electric sitar solo on "Need A Lady"
- Norton Buffalo - harmonica on "There's A Light"
- Victor Feldman - vibes on "Livin' On The Fault Line"
- Rosemary Butler - backup vocals on "Little Darling (I Need You)", "You Belong To Me", and "There's A Light"
- Maureen McDonald - backup vocals on "You're Made That Way"
- Ted Templeman - percussion
- Producer: Ted Templeman
- Engineer: Donn Landee
- Art direction: Bruce Steinberg
- Photography: Bruce Steinberg
- Cover design: Bruce Steinberg
- Conductor: Bobby LaKind
- String arrangements: David Paich
- Horn arrangements: David Paich
|1977||"Echoes of Love"||Pop Singles||66|
|1977||"Little Darling (I Need You)"||Pop Singles||48|