genealogical DNA testing
|David Nicholson (CEO, co-founder) |
Hannah Morden (Co-founder)
Living DNA is a UK-based online genealogy service and company with specializes in DNA testing and analysis. The service is to provide deep ancestry details from all around the world, using a unique process of analysis and using linked DNA. It is one of the major genealogy services in the world.
History and partnership
Living DNA was co-founded by David Nicholson and his wife Hannah Morden in 2016 in Frome, Somerset, England. The company began after extensive research and work along with a team of around 100 genealogists around the world. Nicholson founded in 1999 another company, DNA Worldwide, which he has been running since.
In July 2018, Living DNA announced and signed a partnership agreement with Findmypast, also a British genealogy company. By working together, their mission is to provide an extensive and detailed family roots and history.
In 2019, Living DNA was reported to provide, for each DNA sample tested, recent (less than 80,00 years) ethnic breakdown for 80 regions in the world with the UK broken down in to 21 regions. They also provided insight into female and paternal (for males) heritage going back about 200,000 years showing migration patterns out of Africa.
Critics and reviews
Living DNA has generally gotten positive reviews from journalists and critics, globally although Tech Radar commented that "..the vagueness of some of its results combined with its relatively high price mean it doesn’t stand out from the crowd."
After getting DNA tests results from three different companies to know if his "dad's family came from Russia", David Gewirtz says, "the results I got back from Ancestry and 23andMe were shocking and upsetting would be an understatement." While "the results from Living DNA were substantially different and led to some fascinating insights that were actually really cool, rather than painful."
- McLaughlin, Molly K. "The Best DNA Testing Kits for 2019". PCMag. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- David Gewirtz (7 October 2019). "The best DNA testing kits available now". CNET. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Williams, Mark (25 May 2017). "The lucrative rise of DNA testing: 'we created the market for what we do'". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Frost, Maisha (2 November 2016). "Living DNA takes care with customers as they journey back into their past". Daily Express. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Living DNA offers exciting new possibilities for genetic genealogy". New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. 22 June 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Living DNA: David Nicholson and Hannah Morden". Startups.co.uk. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Peck, Ashlee (20 July 2018). "Findmypast Partnering with Living DNA". Family Tree Magazine. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Eastman, Dick (13 November 2018). "Findmypast Partners With Living DNA to Launch the Most Detailed Ancestry Discovery Experience". Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Staff (2019-04-22). "Is this the most detailed at-home DNA testing kit yet?". CNN. Retrieved 2019-11-19.
- Armstrong, Rebecca. "LivingDNA Review | Top Ten Reviews". TopTenReviews. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Bauckham, Jon (11 October 2016). "New Living DNA test "pinpoints British ancestry" | Who Do You Think You Are Magazine". www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Gadgets, Samuel Horti 2019-06-21 (2019-06-21). "Living DNA review". TechRadar. Retrieved 2019-11-19.
- David Gewirtz (22 October 2019). "My ancestry adventure: When DNA testing delivers unexpected and unsettling results". ZDNet. Retrieved 9 November 2019.