Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages
The Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages (LTIEL) is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization based in Salem, Oregon, United States. The institute's focus is to scientifically document endangered languages, as well as assist communities with maintaining and revitalizing knowledge of their native languages. The institute's founder and director is Dr. Gregory D. S. Anderson. The institute's Director of Research is Dr. K. David Harrison.
One of the institute's projects involves training indigenous youth who are not native speakers of their communities' traditional languages to record and document their elders' languages, in order to improve documentation of those languages and to "build pride" among speakers.
The institute reports that they have created over 100 online talking dictionaries. Living Tongues Institute is partnered with National Geographic’s Enduring Voices Project as both Dr. Gregory D. S. Anderson and Dr. K David Harrison are National Geographic Fellows. Other partners include LA Academia de Lenguas Mayas de Guatemala and Ironbound Films: The Linguists.
- Language projects
- Language Hotspots Project
- The Linguists Film Project
- Talking Online Dictionary Projects
- Language death
- Language documentation
- Language isolate
- Language revival
- List of Language Self-Study Programs
- List of revived languages
- Brooks, Anthony (January 25, 2008). "'The Linguists': Saving the World's Languages". WBUR. Retrieved February 22, 2009.
- Hughes, Jennifer V. (January 13, 2008). "Racing to Capture Vanishing Languages". The New York Times. Retrieved February 22, 2009.
- "Saving Dying Languages in 'The Linguists'". Weekend Edition. National Public Radio. February 21, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2009.
- Lyderson, Kari (March 16, 2009). "Preserving Languages Is About More Than Words". Washington Post. Retrieved March 16, 2009.
- "Our Impact".
- "About the Project".
- Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages (official website)
- http://livingtongues.org/talking-dictionaries/ (Talking Dictionaries)
- Enduring Voices Project: Endangered Languages Facts, Photos, Map from the National Geographic Society