|Born||1985 (age 31–32)
U.S. Naval Base in the Philippines
|Known for||Former RT America Correspondent.|
Liz Wahl (born 1985) is an American journalist. She was a correspondent for the Russian government-sponsored RT television network from 2011 to 2014 but gained notoriety by leaving the network following a harshly critical on-air resignation.
She was born at Subic Naval Base in the Philippines to a Filipina mother and an American father of Hungarian descent. She was raised in Connecticut. She graduated from Fairfield University. Her paternal grandparents were refugees from Hungary, who fled the on-coming Soviet invasion during the Hungarian Uprising. Wahl cited her grandparents' experience as a factor in her public denunciation of RT and the network's coverage of Russian military intervention in Ukraine.
Wahl worked at the United States branch of RT for over two years.
Resignation from RT America
On March 5, 2014, Wahl went off script, during her live segment, and resigned her job while denouncing her employer RT for its allegedly distorted coverage of the 2014 Crimean crisis. She also claimed that RT censored her interview with Ron Paul on the day she resigned. Ron Paul himself denied any censorship.
RT America responded by calling Liz Wahl's actions "Nothing more than a self-promotional stunt." The video of Wahl's resignation quickly went viral on the internet, with millions of hits on YouTube. She appeared on three major American cable news outlets - CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC - was also invited to appear on The View, and the shows of Anderson Cooper, and Stephen Colbert for additional interviews.
Barbara Walters initially voiced criticism of Wahl, saying she should not be treated like a hero, but has since recanted and praised Wahl's efforts. Politico published Wahl's tell-all firsthand story detailing her early career, how she was recruited to RT, her frustrations working for the Russian-funded network, and her resignation.
In July 2014, reporter Sara Firth from RT's London Bureau resigned for similar reasons to Wahl's.
- James Kirchick (2014-03-05). "Exclusive: RT Anchor Liz Wahl Explains Why She Quit". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Russia Today Anchor Liz Wahl Quits Live On-Air". The Hollywood Reporter. 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Katy Watson (2014-03-06). "Russia Today TV presenter Liz Wahl quits on air". BBC News. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
For the second time American presenters on the Russian backed TV station Russia Today have gone off script to voice their personal concerns about Russia's occupation of the Crimea region of Ukraine.
- Peter Edwards (2014-03-06). "Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl quits job on-air in protest". Toronto Star. Archived from the original on 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
She also noted that her partner is a physician who treats American soldiers on a daily basis.
- Elizabeth Wahl (2014-04-08). "I was Putin's Pawn". Politico. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Controversial Fil-Am news anchor Liz Wahl talks to The FREEMAN.".
- Wahl, Liz. "Liz Wahl". Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Liz Wahl, Russia Today anchor, quits her job on air". CBC News. 2014-03-06. Archived from the original on 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
My grandparents came here as refugees during the Hungarian revolution, ironically to escape the Soviet forces," Wahl said, adding she was "very lucky to have grown up here in the United States.
- "Russia Coverage: RT, Liz Wahl and Media Bias". March 6, 2014. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- RT reacts to anchor Liz Wahl quitting on air | 06.03.2014
- Greg Botelho (2014-03-06). "Anchor quits: I can't be part of network 'that whitewashes' Putin's actions". CNN. Archived from the original on 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "VIDEO: Stephen Talks Obama's Appearance on 'Between Two Ferns' on COLBERT". Broadway World. 2014-03-13. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
On last night's The Colbert Report on Comedy Central, Obama appears on "Between Two Ferns," Liz Wahl discusses her resignation from Russia Today, the NSA hires an advice columnist, and Maria Shriver talks "Paycheck to Paycheck." Check out highlights from The March 12th broadcast below!
- Hallie (2014-03-07). "Barbara Walters Is Not Impressed With Former RT Anchor Liz Wahl". New York magazine. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
Walters's co-hosts gave some push back, but Babara held her ground, declaring, "I think what she did is fine — it's a personal choice, but don't make her a hero for protesting. She is working for the government."
- James Crugnale (2014-03-07). "Barbara Walters Rips Russia Today Anchor Who Quit: She's Not ‘A Hero’ (Video)". The Wrap. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
Barbara Walters has no sympathy for former Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl. The veteran ABC news correspondent took to "The View" Thursday to address the RT anchor's recent on-air resignation, in protest of the Russian government's pro-Putin propaganda on the network.
- The View (2014-04-08). "Liz Wahl on The View". The View. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Jamie Kirchick (2014-04-08). "Defending Putin's Propagandists". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Ex-RT Reporter Slams Network: You Can End Up 'Swallowing Yourself in Conspiracy Theories'" | Mediaite / CNN | July 20th, 2014