Liza Donnelly at the Friar's Club in 2013. photo by Regina Barreca
She sold her first cartoon to The New Yorker in 1979, and they began to appear regularly in that magazine in 1982, at which time she was the youngest, and one of only three women cartoonists at the magazine. Donnelly’s work has appeared in many other national publications, including The New York Times, The Harvard Business Review, The Nation, Audubon, Glamour, Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan, National Lampoon, American Photographer, Scholastic News, Cobblestone, and Habitat.
Online publications that have published Donnelly's work include Medium, Politico, The Daily Beast, Open Salon, The New Yorker, CNN, Forbes, The Huffington Post, and Women's eNews. She is the creator and editor of World Ink.
She has been on the faculty at Vassar College, where she taught Cartoons in American Culture and Women’s Studies. A self-described feminist, in her book, Funny Ladies: The New Yorker's Greatest Women Cartoonists And Their Cartoons, Donnelly chronicles the history of women in New Yorker cartoons, both as illustrators and as subjects. In Sex & Sensibility, which Donnelly edited, cartoons from ten female cartoonists explore the female perspective on love and sex.
Donnelly is also an experienced public speaker. Shortly after the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy, she spoke at the United Nations on behalf of Cartooning For Peace. She also spoke at the first TED Women conference.
In 2012, Donnelly visited Israel and Palestine as a cultural envoy of the US State Department to discuss the political impact of cartoons, international women cartoonists and how cartoons can be used for peace.
Donnelly is married to fellow New Yorker cartoonist Michael Maslin.
Donnelly's book Cartoon Marriage, written with her husband, was optioned by Jennifer Garner's production company, Vandalia Films. The script was written by Lizzie McGuire creator Terri Minsky. Donnelly's book Women On Men is a 2014 finalist for the Thurber Prize for American humor.
In May, 2014, Donnelly gave the commencement address to the graduate school of The University of Connecticut, where she was also honored with an honorary doctorate degree for her work in freedom of expression and women's rights.
In October, 2016, Liza was hired by CBSNews to be their "resident cartoonist," drawing and appearing on CBS This Morning and special events. Liza is a pioneer of live drawing on a digital tablet and sharing immediately on social media. Her live drawing has been published on newyorker.com, CBS.com, Medium, NBC.com, Fusion.com, and she attended the 2015 Oscars, and the 2016 Tonys to live draw.
- Women On Men Narrative Library (November 2013), ASIN B00GVABUL6
- When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman, Chronicle Books (September 29, 2010), ISBN 0-8118-7116-9.
- Cartoon Marriage: Adventures in Love and Matrimony by The New Yorker's Cartooning Couple (with Michael Maslin), Random House (January 27, 2009), ISBN 1-4000-6808-8, ISBN 978-1-4000-6808-1.
- Dinosaur Beach, Scholastic (June 1991), ISBN 0-590-42176-X.
- Dinosaur Christmas, Scholastic Inc. (October 1, 1994), ISBN 0-590-44798-X.
- Dinosaur Day, Scholastic Trade (January 1987), ISBN 0-590-41800-9.
- Dinousaur Garden, Scholastic (February 1991), ISBN 0-590-43172-2.
- Dinosaurs' Halloween, Scholastic Trade (October 1988), ISBN 0-590-41006-7.
- Dinosaurs' Thanksgiving, Scholastic (October 1995), ISBN 0-590-22195-7.
- Dinosaur Valentine, Scholastic (January 1994), ISBN 0-590-46415-9.
- Fathers and Sons: It's a Funny Relationship! (with Michael Maslin), Random House (May, 1994), ISBN 978-0-345-38676-2.
- Funny Ladies: The New Yorker's Greatest Women Cartoonists And Their Cartoons, Prometheus Books; illustrated edition (October 3, 2005), ISBN 1-59102-344-0, ISBN 978-1-59102-344-9.
- Husbands And Wives (with Michael Maslin), Random House (1995), ISBN 978-0-345-39041-7.
- "Leading Ladies," The New Yorker, Nov. 11, 2002, pp. 164–165.
- Sex and Sensibility: Ten Women Examine the Lunacy of Modern Love...in 200 Cartoons (editor), Twelve (April 2, 2008), ISBN 0-446-19815-3, ISBN 978-0-446-19815-8.
- One of the several Donnelly illustrations in Habitat
- http://collegerelations.vassar.edu/releases/2009-2010/091112-bookstore-octnov-authorseries.html Vassar press release
- https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/15/style/liza-donnelly-an-artist-is-wed-to-michael-maslin.html NYT wedding notice