Elizabeth Hopley is a British actress and writer.
She has appeared in several audio plays based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who. Her first appearance was as the Eighth Doctor’s companion Gemma Griffin in Terror Firma. She also portrayed Yarvell, the sister of Davros, in the I, Davros mini-series and Dorothea Waddingham in the 2005 film Pierrepoint.
Hopley was born in Liverpool and trained at RADA. Her film and television work includes the recent film adaptation of Jane Eyre directed by Sin Nombre's Cary Fukunaga, The Last Hangman, Channel 4's adaptation of Any Human Heart, Randall and Hopkirk, the BBC's The Day of the Triffids with Joely Richardson and Eddie Izzard and ITV's adaptation of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher starring Paddy Considine.
Her radio plays have included The Elizabethan Beauty Law (which starred Annette Badland as Queen Elizabeth), The Cenci Family (nominated for a Sony Radio Academy Award) for BBC Radio 4 and Salome (which starred Ian Brooker, Florence Hoath and Kenneth Cranham) for BBC Radio 3.
In 2007 she voiced the Mantasphid Queen in the Doctor Who animated adventure The Infinite Quest. She was recently commissioned to write the screenplay "Killing Clovis Dardentor", an updated film adaptation of Jules Verne's Clovis Dardentor for www.buyacredit.com. In 2011 she appeared as Harriet Gollop in the television film The Suspicions of Mr Whicher for ITV.
In 2013, she played Theodora Mawsley in The Thirteenth Tale for the BBC.
Big Finish Productions
Hopley’s work for Big Finish Productions includes:
- Terror Firma – actress
- Night Thoughts – actress
- The Veiled Leopard - actress
- The Goddess Quandary - actress
- Scorpius - actress
- Fear – actress
- Conversion - actress
- Telos - actress
- Wildthyme at Large - actress
- The Devil in Ms Wildthyme - actress
- I, Davros: Innocence - actress
- I, Davros: Purity - actress
- I, Davros: Guilt - actress
- Land of Wonder - actress
- Dark Shadows: Kingdom of the Dead - actress
- Short Trips: The Centenarian - writer
- Short Trips: Snapshots - writer
- Short Trips: Defining Patterns - writer
- Dark Shadows: The Carrion Queen - writer and actress
- Torchwood: "The Dying Room" - writer
- "BBC Wiltshire review of Pramface". 2006-06-12. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- Radio – Pick of the day, Phil Daoust. The Guardian, 9 December 2005
- BBC – Drama on 3 – Salome