Trams in Ljubljana
The tram system in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, was originally built in 1901 and was operated until 1958. Works have started in 1900 and the tram was put in use after postponements and without a special ceremony on 6 September 1901. The tram's end came on 20 December 1958, when it was replaced in a ceremony by 12 buses.
In the post-World War II era, many Yugoslav towns and cities with tram systems took out their systems, as they took up a lot of space in an era when it was needed for an increasing number of automobiles. In its final form, established in 1940, the system reached length of 18.5 kilometres (11.5 mi). Soon after the last day of operation the tracks were dismantled and the cars were transferred to Osijek and Subotica. Reintroduction of an actual tram system to Ljubljana has been proposed repeatedly in the 2000s.
- "Dokumenti Slovenskega gledališkega in filmskega muzeja" [The Documents of the Slovenian Theatre and Film Museum] (in Slovenian). 16–19. Slovenski gledališki in filmski muzej [Slovenian Theatre and Film Museum]. 1980. p. 128.
- Brate, Tadej (2001). Tramvaj pripoveduje [Tramvaj Tells a Story] (in Slovenian). Sanje Publishing Company. ISBN 9789616387088.
- Kladnik, Darinka (2007). Mestna hiša v Ljubljani [Ljubljana Town Hall] (PDF) (in Slovene and English). Ljubljana Tourist Board. pp. 25–26. COBISS 233506560.
- "Historical Highlights: More than a century of memories and experience". Ljubljanski potniški promet [Ljubljana Public Transport]. Javni holding Ljubljana [Ljubljana Public Holding]. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Smolej, Viktor (1959). Kronika: časopis za slovensko krajevno zgodovino [The Chronicle: The Newspaper for the Slovene Place History] (in Slovenian) (Zgodovinsko društvo za Slovenijo [Historical Association of Slovenia]) 8–9: 64 http://books.google.si/books?id=-WhWAAAAMAAJ. Missing or empty
- Business.hr Editorial Office. "Potencijalni gradonačelnici obećali tramvaj, stadion i džamiju". Business.hr.
- "Tramvaj ponovno v Ljubljani? Zares želi, da odločitev o tirnem prometu pade že zdaj". STA. dnevnik.si. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- "Vozilo, ki bi zanimanje vzbujalo še danes". MMC. rtvslo.si. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- Media related to Trams in Ljubljana at Wikimedia Commons
- Map of Ljubljana tram system at Geopedia.si.
|This article about transport in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|