Llanrumney High School
|Llanrumney High School|
Cardiff, CF3 4YW
|Motto||"Educating for life"|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Medium of language||English|
The school served the communities of Llanrumney, Pentwyn and St Mellons on the eastern side of Cardiff and was opened in the 1957 alongside Rumney High School. It was a mixed-sex school with 647 children aged 11–16 attending during the Estyn school inspection in 2006, showing a reduction compared to 774 in 2000. 4% came from ethnic minority backgrounds.
A proposal to close Llanrumney High School and Rumney High School was published by Cardiff Council on 20 March 2009. A total of 1257 objections were registered during the objection period to 20 May 2009. The proposal was due to be implemented by September 2012.[needs update]
Reasons cited include that both of the schools are old and falling into a state of disrepair. The intention was to build a new high school on the Rumney Recreation Ground with some of the playing fields at the existing Llanrumney High School site being retained whilst the rest of the site along with Rumney High School would be sold off. The proposed new school would form a partnership with Cardiff High School and Willows High School, with pupils entering further education at Coleg Glan Hafren, or elsewhere in the city where appropriate. Nonetheless, the school remained open, in part due to the cancellation of the "Rumney Rec" proposals.
- "Report: Llanrumney High School Inspection: 16/10/06 – 20/10/06" (PDF). Estyn. 15 December 2006.
- "School Details: Llanrumney High School". Cardiff Council.
- David James (2009-08-19). "City council responds to objections raised over new school plan". South Wales Echo.
- Gaskell, Simon (2 July 2013). "Llanrumney High reunions to mark end of era for Cardiff school". Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- Llanrumney High School website
- Current Proposal for the Llanrumney High School sie - Map by Cardiff Council, February 2009 (Welsh)
|This Welsh school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|