Llansamlet railway station
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|1 January 1885||Station opened as Llansamlet|
|February 1950||Renamed Llansamlet North|
|2 November 1964||Station closed|
|27 June 1994||New station opened as Llansamlet on different site|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Llansamlet from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Llansamlet railway station is a minor station in Llansamlet, Swansea, south Wales. The station is located below street level at Frederick Place in Peniel Green, 212 miles 8 chains (341 km) from London Paddington (via Stroud). It is served by local trains operated by Transport for Wales on the South Wales Main Line between Swansea and Cardiff.
The station has two (offset) platforms:
- Platform 1, situated east of the Frederick Place overbridge, is for westbound trains towards Swansea
- Platform 2, situated west of the bridge, is for eastbound trains towards Cardiff Central
As the station is unmanned, passengers boarding must buy their tickets on the train. There is a free car park for rail passengers. Waiting shelters, timetable poster boards and digital CIS displays are provided on each side. Step-free access is available via ramps to both platforms.
Journey times are around 10 minutes to Swansea and one hour to Cardiff.
At present Llansamlet is served by a train every two hours in both directions on weekdays, with a few westbound trains extended to Llanelli or Carmarthen. But no trains at present call on a Sunday. A normal service operates on most Bank Holidays.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Skewen||Transport for Wales
The former GWR station (from its 1885 opening until closed in 1964) was situated approximately 720 metres (0.45 miles) west of the present station, at , on the embankment to the west of the Station Road bridge.
Blocked access steps leading up to the platform can still be seen today on the northern approach to the bridge.
- Yonge, John; Padgett, David (August 2010) . Bridge, Mike (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 3: Western (5th ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 24A. ISBN 978-0-9549866-6-7.
- Llansamlet station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 5 April 2017
- Table 128 National Rail timetable, December 2016
- André Scoville, "Images of Wales: Swansea, Llandore, Clydach, Llansamlet and Morriston", ISBN 0-7524-2153-0, chapter 5