Lloyd J. Reynolds
|Lloyd J. Reynolds|
|Occupation||Professor of Creative Writing, Calligraphy, and Art History|
Lloyd J. Reynolds (1902-1978) was an American calligrapher and professor at Reed College (1929-1969) who taught classes on creative writing, art, and calligraphy. Lloyd Reynolds was born in 1902 in Bemidji, Minnesota. He received a BA in Botany and Forestry from Oregon State University, then an English degree at the University of Oregon. He went on to receive an MA in English literature from the University of Oregon.
Reynolds started at Reed in 1929 in the English Department, teaching creative writing, then began teaching classes on art history and graphic arts. Reynolds classes continued for several decades, and his students included Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen, Peter Norton, Charles Bigelow, David Eddings  Willard McCarty, Kris Holmes, Sumner Stone and informally Steve Jobs. Starting in 1949, Reynolds began teaching calligraphy classes at Reed, and retired from Reed and his last class in 1969. The calligraphy program at Reed was continued by Robert Palladino until the cancellation of the program by the college in 1984.
Reynolds was named Calligrapher Laureate of Oregon by Governor Tom McCall in 1972. He died in October 1978.
- Reynolds, Lloyd J. Italic Lettering & Handwriting: Exercise Book. Portland, Ore: Champoeg Press, 1963. OCLC 2203545
- Reynolds, Lloyd J. 1969. Italic calligraphy and handwriting: exercises and text. New York: Pentalic. OCLC 2203545
- Reynolds, Lloyd J. Weathergrams. Portland, Ore: Society for Italic Handwriting, Reed College, 1972. OCLC 9319640
- Reynolds, Lloyd J. Handwriting & Calligraphy. Oregon Rainbow: 4 (1976) 32-39.
- Reynolds, Lloyd J. 1979. Straight impressions. Woolwich, Me: TBW Books. OCLC 5421847
- "Lloyd J. Reynolds Collection, Reed College Library" (PDF). Reed.edu. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Reed Magazine: The dance of the pen (1/7)". Reed.edu. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian". Smithsonianmag.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Reed College | The Heritage of Calligraphy | Notable Quotes on Lloyd Reynolds and the Reed Calligraphy Courses". Reed.edu. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- [dead link]
- "Oregon Cultural Heritage Commission". Ochcom.org. 2004-06-30. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Reed College | The Heritage of Calligraphy | Reynolds and the Bookplate". Reed.edu. Retrieved 2015-02-27.