Lloyd Jones (Welsh writer)
Lloyd Jones (born July 14, 1951) is a poet, novelist and photographer. In 2002 he became the first person to walk completely around Wales, a journey of a thousand miles.
Born at Bryn Clochydd, Gwytherin, near Llanrwst, he lives at Abergwyngregyn and has formerly worked on a farm and as a newspaper editor, a lecturer and a mencap nurse. He writes in both Welsh and English. After almost dying from alcoholism he gave up drinking on December 28, 2001.
He is a graduate of Bangor University, with a degree in Welsh and English literature. He has published the following books:
- Mr Vogel (Seren, 2004), which was based partly on Jones' walk around Wales. It won the McKitterick Prize and was shortlisted for the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction.
- Mr Cassini (Seren, 2006), which was partially inspired by his walking across Wales in seven different directions. It won the Wales Book of the Year award in 2007.
- My First Colouring Book (Seren, 2008), a collection of short stories and essays.
- See How They Run (Seren, 2012), part of the Mabinogion series.
- Y Dŵr (Y Lolfa, 2009) a novel about climate change, set in Wales.
- Y Daith (Y Lolfa, 2014), a fantasy about a walking trip along Offa's Dyke.
- Water (Y Lolfa, 2014), a translation of Y Dwr.
- Fflur (Y Lolfa, 2019), a country romance.
He has self-published the following books of poetry:
- Secret Life of a Postman (2014)
- Out With It (2016)
- My life on Tlön (2017)
- Collected Poems (2019)
- Selected Poems (2019)
He has also self-published the following volumes of essays:
- Three Little Things Before I Go
- When I'm 64
In addition, he has published the following:
- Bron Haul – the croft on the moors (Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, bilingual edition, 2011), a festschrift by three authors telling the story of a small moorland croft.
- The Dream of the Mouse, a surreal comic novel.
He has also translated a highly successful Welsh novel, O! Tyn y Gorchudd, by Angharad Price:
- The Life of Rebecca Jones (MacLehose Press, 2014)
|This article about a novelist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Welsh writer, poet or playwright is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|