|City and Commune|
Pueblo de Lo Barnechea. At the left the Mapocho River
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Felipe Guevara Stephens (RN)|
|• Total||1,023.7 km2 (395.3 sq mi)|
|Population (2017 Census)|
|• Total||105,833 |
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (CLST)|
|Website||Municipality of Lo Barnechea|
Lo Barnechea is a commune of Chile located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. Most of the commune is mountainous and its inhabited areas are part of the northeasternmost section of Greater Santiago. It is home to some of Chile's fanciest neighborhoods (including La Dehesa, often associated with the nouveau riche). The largest international school in Santiago, International School Nido de Aguilas is located in the commune as are all of the capital's ski centers.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Lo Barnechea spans an area of 1,023.7 km2 (395 sq mi) and has 74,749 inhabitants (34,901 men and 39,848 women). Of these, 72,496 (97%) lived in urban areas and 2,253 (3%) in rural areas. The population grew by 49.3% (24,687 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The 2006 projected population was 103,376.[not in citation given]
- Average annual household income per capita: US$73,183 (PPP, 2011)
- Population below poverty line: 16.6% (2011)
- Regional quality of life index: 80.73, high, 11 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.912, 3 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Lo Barnechea is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012–2016 alcalde is Felipe Guevara Stephens (RN). The communal council has the following members:
- René Barba Rondanelli (UDI)
- Felipe Irarrázaval Ovalle (IND)
- Rodrigo Montt Swett (RN)
- Paula Phillips Maturana (UDI)
- Macarena Silva Irarrázaval (RN)
- Carlos Ward Edwards (UDI)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Lo Barnechea is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Cristián Monckeberg (RN) and Ernesto Silva (UDI) as part of the 23rd electoral district, (together with Las Condes and Vitacura). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear (PDC) and Pablo Longueira (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)
- "Plantilla Censo 2017". CENSO. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Lo Barnechea" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- Yo tenía un compañero: Novela by Juan Villegas Morales.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- 2011 Casen Survey, Ministry of Social Development of Chile.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994–2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán (in Spanish). UNDP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "学校概要." Instituto de Enseñanza Japonesa (サンチャゴ日本人学校). Retrieved on 19 January 2015. "LA DEHESA 1340, LO BARNECHEA, SANTIAGO, CHILE"
- "Interactive City Directory". Sister Cities International.
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Lo Barnechea