Loafing and Camouflage
|Loafing and Camouflage|
|Directed by||Nikos Perakis|
|Produced by||Nikos Perakis|
|Written by||Nikos Perakis|
|Music by||Nicos Mamangakis|
Loafing and Camouflage (Greek: Λούφα και Παραλλαγή Lufa ke Paralayi/L&C) (1984) is a Greek cult comedy classic motion picture directed by Nikos Perakis. It was followed by the 1987 motion picture Bios kai Politeia (Life and Times), bringing the characters in a post-20 year "reunion". In 2005, Loafing and Camouflage: Sirens in the Aegean was released, bearing no relation to the first installment; instead, telling the story of a modern-day Army company. A TV series version of the movie aired for two seasons, featuring actors from the latest L&C movie in the roles of the original characters from the 1984 installment.
The film tells the story of a group of soldiers, who, during their compulsory military service in 1967 and 1968, before and during the Greek Junta, are assigned to the, then, recently founded Armed Forces Television. This TV station, founded for the civilian population, was run by the Army Cinematographic Unit which until then had only produced propaganda films and newsreels and was responsible for entertaining the troops and other charity organizations with movie screenings. The personnel was composed mostly of soldiers, who already had experience in the film business in their civilian lives, as well as those who received their training in the army.
The setting, characters and situations portrayed in the film are largely autobiographical. During his military service, Perakis helped set up the experimental Armed Forces Television station in the premises of the Hellenic Military Geographical Service, and the film shows a fictionalized account of this period.
- Nikos Kalogeropoulos Pvt. Papadopoulos
- Giorgos Kimoulis Pvt. Lambrou
- Takis Spyridakis Pvt. Balourdos
- Fotis Polychronopoulos Pvt. Karamanos (aka Karamazov)
- Giannis Chatziyannis Pvt. Savidis
- Paris Tselios Pvt. Marlafekas
- Stavros Xenidis Col. A. Kontellis
- Andreas Filippidis Lt. Col. Minas Katsampelas
- Christos Valavanidis Maj. D. Karavidis
- Antonis Theodorakopoulos Captain
- Nikos Tsachiridis Staff Sergeant
- Tania Kapsali Emmanouella
- Ifigenia Makati Katerina
- Rocky Taylor Cindy
- Dimitris Poulikakos John Papaloukas
- Michalis Maniatis Mr. Karlatos
- Special Mention, 1985, Thessaloniki International Film Festival
- Grand Prix, 1984, Thessaloniki International Film Festival
- Best Screenplay, 1984, Thessaloniki International Film Festival
- Best Actor, 1984, Thessaloniki International Film Festival
- Best Editing, 1984, Thessaloniki International Film Festival
- Golden Bear, Nominated, 35th Berlin International Film Festival
- "Berlinale: 1985 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-01-08.